DIY truck cap

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatCaretaker

Reaction score
Think putting fiberglass on the rack in the picture would work as a DIY truck cap? Or using it as a frame for a wood or aluminum cap? I am getting frustrated trying to find a used cap that would fit my truck. Apparently 8 ft. truck beds are not very popular. Found one used high top fiberglass one that would just about fit but shopowner wants $800 for it

Attachments

• image_12900.jpg
    image_12900.jpg
    187.2 KB
ttnt trailers foamies forum truck camper was made to bolt onto bed rails of 4 cylinder Tacoma. Four people lifted it on and the owner has done several long trips with no problems.

gsfish said:
Still can't imagine that you haven't been able to find something. Have you placed a want ad on CL? Note 8' bed F150 and year in title. I would suggest checking CL several times a day sorted as "latest". I looked for a specific transmission for over a year and bought it the day it was posted. I searched "camper shell 8'" in Atlanta and had 24 hits. Try the Yellow Pages for topper shops and call about used ones.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=camper+shell+8'&sort=rel

Here's one listed 4 days ago for an 8' bed Ford. Leer high top fiberglass, $175.
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/pts/d/leer-camper-shell/6216491457.html

Guy

Many of the ads are either a truck for sale with camper, or are "camper shell wanted" ads (mine is one of them).one on top from a Ford had no back window. Unfortunately the 8-footer for $175 was 'deleted by author' so it must be already sold. I have gone to local shops and sure, I can order a new one for $1400+. Don't have that much. I continue to look.

Don't lose hope. I almost gave up and was about to order a new one, then all of the sudden one popped up and i only had to pay $150 for an ARE DCU work topper. It took a few months, but since i paid less than 1/10 of the cost of new it was worth it. I'm sure you've done this already, but be sure to expand your search to the surrounding area as far as your willing to drive for a deal.

Most of the toppers listed in CO are for 8' beds.. so it really depends on location..

Are trucks today not able to handle the weight of a homemade cap? I don't have pics of all of them, but, my old IH just had some 2x2's and then painted some 3/8 OSB. Not the most beautiful, but worked fine for sleeping in when hunting. Later on, I added some small windows, and a roof rack for the canoe.

Attachments

• AlnIH.jpg
    AlnIH.jpg
    21.6 KB
Most traffic today goes a lot further and faster and MPG is a concern. Most people feel the need to get somewhere safely and quickly. My 1979 jeep truck has hauled several times what it was designed to haul and survived because it was built with heavier more forgiving materials. Because of this and the fact nobody cared about speed or MPG it gets 10 MPG and top speed is around 60MPH. Life span of the mechanical components is around 100,000 miles. My Tacoma with light weight materials and computer controlled fuel injection gets 20 MPG and will cruse at 80MPH and most last at least 200,000 miles or more. Campers can be built with modern methods and materials to match the truck. The old Jeep is my favorite until I have to work on it. The Toyota I just use.

squatting dog said:
Are trucks today not able to handle the weight of a homemade cap? I don't have pics of all of them, but, my old IH just had some 2x2's and then painted some 3/8 OSB. Not the most beautiful, but worked fine for sleeping in when hunting. Later on, I added some small windows, and a roof rack for the canoe.

they should be able to considering the weight of many of the slide-ins... im building another homemade cap as it fits my needs for hauling small animals where a commercial cap didnt..   and can be use to sleep in when only hauling a few rabbits to shows.