DIY Portable Toilets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the bags marketed as 'biodegradable' aren't really as biodegradable as we would like to think.

AFAIK most of them need UV exposure to start breaking down, they're meant for landfill degradation not being buried.

Please be very careful with what gets used and buried, best case scenario, use the 'biodegradable' bags for collection, dump the contents for burying and then send the bag to the landfill or incinerator.

Better yet, use a toilet system that doesn't require the use of chemicals nor plastic bags.

Kia girl said:
Well I have 3 different toilets.  I have the reliance toilet from Walmart that is nearly impossible to fold down, I have a porta potty that is quite expensive and have to use chemicals and special toilet paper and then I have a cheap bucket from Home Depot with a gamma lid that is cheap and works good with cheap Walmart garbage bags.  The cheapest one is the best one for me.  I was paying $12 just for bags which you only got 6 for the reliance toilet. Conclusion the diy bucket with gamma lid was the best for me and held the odors in.   Use Walmart bags with a little cedar in it and it is great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So many times the thing that works the best for you ends up being what you rigged up yourself!  I was thinking about diapers...not wearing them (HAHA) but how their gel works and such.  I checked how much they cost and wow, expensive.  How can people afford to have kids today?  Anyway, what would happen if someone opened up a diaper and dumped that in the bottom of the Walmart bag?

It might prevent the Walmart bag from leaking.

Almost There said:
Most of the bags marketed as 'biodegradable' aren't really as biodegradable as we would like to think.

AFAIK most of them need UV exposure to start breaking down, they're meant for landfill degradation not being buried.

Please be very careful with what gets used and buried, best case scenario, use the 'biodegradable' bags for collection, dump the contents for burying and then send the bag to the landfill or incinerator.

Yeah, personally, I'd rather send waste to the landfill myself.  If it's safe to send a baby's diapers there, it should be safe to send your waste there too.

They bury it deep down in there and it'll degrade and turn to dirt over time.  I worry about burying it and an animal digs it up or after a hard rain, you find out the hole wasn't quite as deep as you thought it was.  It seems more sanitary to me.

“You can get biodegradable bags and gel stuff. Combined with your waste it just gets turned into dirt… The only advantage it has over a composting toilet is that when you aren't out in nature it is still easy to dispose of versus a giant bucket of waste.”

Cross-linked polyacrylamide (PAM) hydrogel crystals are water-absorbent, NOT water-soluble; they don’t just turn into dirt, they just shrink to their original form. Under certain conditions, they may degrade, but they will never be soil. Also, acrylamide is an identified neurotoxin and is known to contaminate food.
“Hydrogels: Are They Safe?” https://cals.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/byg/archive/hydrogels.html

“Bio-degradable” bags will only break down under composting conditions, which include heat produced by a mix of organic solid waste, moisture, oxygen and bacteria; you can’t just bury it in a hole in the ground and think it will compost.

Anyone who is going to live in a van needs to unload their previous “Ick Training’ and learn how to responsibly deal with a fact of life.

John, any separation toilet system like the C-Head, Nature's Head or homemade versions of them require no plastic bags nor chemicals.

I have used the C-Head for 2 years now without difficulty and without either!

When I first started using the C-Head I used to dump in to garbage bags for disposal, now I use other disposal methods depending on where I am in the continent and what disposal methods are available.

TrainChaser said:
Anyone who is going to live in a van needs to unload their previous “Ick Training’ and learn how to responsibly deal with a fact of life.
Gels in diapers that go into the landfill will eventually break down.  The fact that they are contained in an area where there are other diapers and waste means that they will stay in a specific area.  I hope we are not drinking water that is contaminated by gels with neurotoxins nor waste--which would be worse.

Hopefully this is a thread to share specific DIY ideas.  The mere fact that it appears means that we are of the mindset of being responsible.  So if we all need to learn how to deal with this, perhaps you can share your specific  "ick training" expertise with us.

Elaine K said:
I am building my own separating toilet based loosely on the C-Head toilet design and incorporates ideas of the simple 5 gallon pail as well.  

Elaine, where did you get the plastic piece for the urine collection?  It's shaped just right for this application. 

It's worth saying a second time, your build is really awesome, and at a fraction of what it would cost to buy a C-head.

so what r rules at rtr quartzite...r we allowed to make cathole in desert?

Cancan - good luck on digging in the earth at Quartzite... :D 

Desert ground is like concrete. We use rebar stakes to anchor tents there and it takes a good sledge hammer to get them in.

No, cat holes would be grossly inappropriate at the RTR. We're talking 600 + people all camped for 10 to 14 days within a couple of square miles.

There are a couple of pottie tents set up near the seminar/main campfire area for those that need them there. Bags and TP are supplied but each person using it is expected to do a carry out of their own baggie.

I highly recommend that each and every person make their own arrangements at their own campsite for their own toilet facilities.

Oh and throwing your overnight liquid waste in the closest wash or 'watering the trees' - well, let's put it this way - 14 days of doing that results in a fragrant environment that is NOT 'fragrant' :rolleyes: While we  have had rain at the RTR, winter is the dry season.

On the ranch, I had a setup a lot like Elaine K's but spent the money for a prefabbed separator.
Only real difference was a pipe leading up and out of the roof with the top of it painted black.
This kept a negative pressure in the toilet when closed and draw out stink when open.
Not sure this option would be as viable on a van or RV though it's certainly possible.
Without the added height it might attract insects though which wouldnt be great.

Giddeon33
I do understand the science behind the odor and have tried to educate my wife, she firmly insisted that she can not poop without pee and I believe her, I sometimes do too. Our situation does not allow for venting unless we left the lid off. Just saying we were able to get by for nearly two years with this system and it worked with only two negative incidences neither were our fault, other than putting in dumpster and having someone literally dig through our shit.
casper.

casper said:
I do understand the science behind the odor and have tried to educate my wife, she firmly insisted that she can not poop without pee

She is not alone by a long shot!

With a properly designed separating toilet it is absolutely possible to do both at the same time. But it has to be properly sectioned and the user has to learn where to position themselves on the seat.

I carried the vent hose and the other parts that came with my C-Head around for probably 5 months before I decided that I didn't neet to install an exterior vent system in it. I ended up using the flex hose for a conduit for my electrical install..lol.

Almost There,
Like I said before, I do understand the science, "but" had no luck educating my wife as to the cause and cure of odor and this is the best system that worked for us, without doing extravagant plumbing/venting while having severe health issues was the best we could do. Seriously did not expect to live long enough to talk about, but here we are.
casper

I assure you all I have been down this road before and the cheapest most cost effective way is the two bucket system, poop/pee. $18.00 for toilet seat and two buckets, kitty liter, garbage bags. All you need.
casper.

Not only was it cost effective, but kept my neighbors out of our shit for the most part.
casper.

I don't mind paying more, but need a system that takes a minimum of space.

Rarely needed, so ideally the containers can be used for storage in the meantime.

Almost There said:
She is not alone by a long shot!

With a properly designed separating toilet it is absolutely possible to do both at the same time. But it has to be properly sectioned and the user has to learn where to position themselves on the seat.

I carried the vent hose and the other parts that came with my C-Head around for probably 5 months before I decided that I didn't neet to install an exterior vent system in it. I ended up using the flex hose for a conduit for my electrical install..lol.
I'm sorry if I came off bad, after rereading your post I see you are correct, and I agree completely. Just did not have any cooperation from you know who. my lady is the best person I know, but sometimes her head is harder than mine, and mine is made of stone.
casper.

Gideon33w said:
On the ranch, I had a setup a lot like Elaine K's but spent the money for a prefabbed separator.
Only real difference was a pipe leading up and out of the roof with the top of it painted black.
This kept a negative pressure in the toilet when closed and draw out stink when open.
Not sure this option would be as viable on a van or RV though it's certainly possible.
Without the added height it might attract insects though which wouldnt be great.

That's a great idea to paint the pipe coming out the roof black.  Excellent application.  I think it would be possible to add to a van or RV.  RVs are fitted with vents for refrigerators, heaters and toilets and there is a roof cap that goes over that will allow the flow of air without letting in the rain.  They are rated to go down the road, so they should work for this application.  I noticed on my old RV that there is a screen in there that would keep insects out.

If they are on an RV, the parts should be out there.

John61CT said:
I don't mind paying more, but need a system that takes a minimum of space.

Rarely needed, so ideally the containers can be used for storage in the meantime.

John61C, I hear what you are saying. We kept the poop bucket in the shower with lid on, when not in use. The pee bucket was left front and center, toilet seat on and ready. you have to potty train yourself again. Always give enough time to empty bladder before poo. if room is to much of problem keep outside, very simple, very cost effective. $20.00 will serve you well.
casper.