DIY 12Volt Shower w/Bilge Pump

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Following up from a post in the "Simple Shower" thread, the bilge pump married to a defunct 12Volt shower components is working very well in terms of water pressure and overall functionality.

I hit a snag, though.  The pump has a 3/4 OD barb at the output.  The shower head hose is 3/8 ID.  I'm having trouble with the reduction.  Home Depot supposedly had a 3/4" to 3/8" barbed splicer, which would have done the trick nicely.  The description is a typo.  The fitting is actually 3/8" on both ends.  An web search didn't turn anything else up.

In an act of deperation, I tried a 3/4" piece of shrink tubing, that is supposed to shrink to 3/8".  Almost, but not quite.  Adding a hose clamp did nothing.

The output is still pretty decent at the height of the S&B shower head, but it would be even better without the leak.  The quest continues.

Go to home depot and show the person working plumbing what you have and what you want. (S)he should be able to go right to the parts. It may take a string of them though.

This may sound pretty extreme, but we have only been inside a place of business once since March 10th (decided to risk it for some brisket to go in a small town).  When the COVID transmission rate is lower and/or the Home Depot is less packed, I'll be up for that.

Agree it may take more than one step.

Can you fit the 3/8” hose inside the 3/4” hose, if it is tight try heating the 3/4” hose in hot water. A little super glue or JB weld if you let it harden over night will work as well. You do these things when you are 225 miles from the Home Depot!

Dang bullfrog 225 miles to the closest Home Depot. I thought the 140 miles for me was a ways. highdesertranger

The surprising thing is how many people want to be my neighbors now COVID 19 is taking up most the hospital beds in the cities. Nobody wants to go to town for plumbing parts when you have super glue and JB Weld!

Get a 3/4" pipe cap. Cut part of the 3/4" barb off. JBWeld cap in place. Drill and tap cap for 3/8" barb with threaded opposite end.

Super Glue is commonly used to make rubber o rings by cutting rubber round stock to length and glueing the ends together as well. Lots of older RVs have odd sized tubing and in emergencies as long as you can get a piece of hose or tubing to slide over the original you can start it on, put glue on the diameter of the inner hose and slide it some more to get the glue between them and allow it to dry. Some of my emergency repairs have held for many years! One good reason to check the plumbing on older RVs! Lol!!!

On this cheap bilge pump (pictured) a 3/8" male pipe thread just fits inside the discharge. A pipe tap would make for a great fit but most people don't have one. I think that this would work without the tap though with some patience, maybe some heat on the pump hose barb. A few notches on the threads could help cut threads in the plastic like a tap.

Shown is a reducer but the correct fitting would have a 3/8" hose barb where the 1/4" pipe is in the picture. Link is to how the fitting would look.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/B-K-3-8-in...qHoABd0awuhHMcJtEDxoCu4AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Guy

Attachments

• P1110612.JPG
    P1110612.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 8
I try to keep bendable safety wire in my tool kit for sealing leaks of any kind. Like the stuff you see at Dollar Tree in the automotive section. They have many types and gauges of wire there. I just bend it around where ever it is leaking and tighten it with a pair of pliers by twisting it down until it seals. (or only drips a little)

I believe this wire pictured is for crafts and is a bit lighter than what I keep.

images

gsfish said:
On this cheap bilge pump (pictured) a 3/8" male pipe thread just fits inside the discharge...  I think that this would work without the tap though with some patience, maybe some heat on the pump hose barb. A few notches on the threads could help cut threads in the plastic like a tap.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/B-K-3-8-in...qHoABd0awuhHMcJtEDxoCu4AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Guy
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!

My husband had ordered a plastic RV fitting like the brass one linked above.  I did use a short piece of shrink tubing and a hose clamp over the pump output barb.  I could have used a piece of 3/4" hose if I'd had it, too.  The tubing shrunk nicely around the threads, and the 3/8" barb fit securely in the shower head hose.  I think the brass fitting would have worked to cut a few threads like you said--or it might have split the thin plastic output.

Bottom line:  The shower works well!  In order to manage expectations, I will say that the pressure is very good, but not great.  It seems like the small holes in the shower head reduce the pressure some.  When I unscrew it, the output is terrific.  Of course, the pressure is less at 6' than at 4', but is still quite adequate.

The whole assembly fits coiled in the center of a collapsed Seattle Sports bucket (great recommendation; thanks), which zips up in our pop-up shower shelter cover.  (BTW, a 24" water heater basin would fit in there, too.)  For power, we have an old-style power station.

I am expecting a folding dog pool any day, and plan to sit on a folding step stool.  I tried that in the S&B tub, and it was great.  (Why do we insist on defying gravity to bathe?)  Used about 2 gallons of water, using the on/off switch navy shower style but otherwise taking my time.  Then I let the pump run to see how well it would empty the bucket.  It got almost all the water out.  Afterward, I put a knee high stocking over the impeller intake and pumped the water back into the bucket.  Worked like a champ--that is, once I cleared the air lock I inadvertently caused.

Will it be worth all that trouble, including heating water?  Sometimes.  Would a bucket, cup and sponge work nearly as well.  Maybe, but where's the sport in that?

VanFan said:
I am expecting a folding dog pool any day...
Replying to my own post again :rolleyes: .  The dog pool arrived yesterday.  It's heavier and just a little bulkier than I expected, but pretty cool.  I got the medium-large one (47"), because I thought the 36" would be too small for sitting.  I will probably put the optional shelter floor down for extra protection for the bottom.  The shelter floor is about 50" square.  The pool does not have to be completely unfolded and can be shaped in somewhat different ways (not possible if filled).  I zipped it into the shelter case for storage, which means I'll need to find another spot for the shower apparatus and bucket.

In my nightmares, I see myself wrestling with a wet pool and airborne shelter while trying to bug out (or in) during a storm.  In my dreams--ahh!  Life is usually a little of both, no?

VanFan said:
This may sound pretty extreme, but we have only been inside a place of business once since March 10th (decided to risk it for some brisket to go in a small town).  When the COVID transmission rate is lower and/or the Home Depot is less packed, I'll be up for that.

Agree it may take more than one step.
Risk it for some brisket. I'm stealing that for a song lyric, thanks.