ultimate road shower

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gothicsurf

Reaction score
The idea is to build a 4" ABS solar shower attached to a yakima cargo rack composed of two parallel runs angled down toward the rear and connected together at the high point over the vehicle. A few of my goals are to make it reasonably tamper-proof, pressurized with a 12V compressor, and easily refilled using an inline pump.

As for the first, my idea is to use a female quick-connect fitting for the supply/hose connection. Because this connection is valved, it usually needs the corresponding fitting to open and so resistant to tampering. 

Pressurizing the chamber would involve a threaded 1/8" NPT port connected to a compressor set to maintain a certain PSI (say roughly 30). Since not too many 12V compressors have pressure switches that kick on when dropping below a certain threshold, rewiring the 12V leads of an inexpensive compressor to a separate pressure switch seems feasible.

Then as a way of refilling the canister, I imagine using a 5 gal collapsible water bag with a hose barb attached to the cap and a small 12v inline pump to get the water transferred via 3/8" tubing. 

I am not entirely privy to all the different fittings necessary, where check valves are needed and others to let air through to allow water to enter, and if the pressure switch can be placed inline with the compressor using a 'T'.

If anyone would be interested in working on a draft and parts list, please let me know --

You don't need to reinvent the wheel.
There are dozens of blogs, and videos on YouTube about these showers, pressurized, heated, unheard - the works.
Many ways to do it, and many people showing you how.

Do a search on YouTube or Google it.
Here's one:

how many gallons of water are you planning on? what type of vehicle are you putting all this weight up high on? highdesertranger

Just take sponge baths using an enamel wash basin placed on a stove to heat the water. It works when it’s cold outside, day or night.

Just use a cooking pot to heat water. no need for complexity and extra pieces of single use equipment.