Plumbing fitting to convert 1/2" BSP to 1/2" pex?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vannautical engineer

Reaction score
I'm using 1/2" pex tubing in my build, and I needed an electric T valve. This is absolutely the only 12V electric T valve I was able to find.

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00D6FCP36/

51J2uWRU5NL._SL1000_.jpg

But, I'm having trouble finding a fitting that will convert a 1/2" female BSP thread to something I can connect to a 1/2" pex line. Anyone know of a way to do this? I do not have a lot of experience with pex. So far I have been using sharkbite fittings with crimp clamps, and I can't find a fitting that goes from a shark bite barb to 1/2" male BSP, but maybe there's another type of fitting or combination fittings I can use to get to something that will connect to 1/2" pex? Thanks.

Attachments

• 51J2uWRU5NL._SL1000_.jpg
    51J2uWRU5NL._SL1000_.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 4
Yeah I believe it stands for British Standard Pipe. Apparently not the same as National Pipe Thread. Go figure. I'll have to look at [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]McMaster Carr.

Yeah you can find 12V straight through valves like you posted all day long. But a 12V T valve like I posted is a rarity.

Long story short, recirculating water through my system.

Longer explanation, originally when I was thinking that I would have my heat exchanger recirculate hot water back into my holding tank, I was going to use this valve to direct water from my holding tank either through the heat exchanger and back into the tank, or to a faucet or fixture to actually use the water.

Since I've kind of been convinced that it would be better not to recirculate hot water back into the tank and instead use water right out of the exchanger for a few reasons, I still think I'm going to use a valve like this to do a little recirculating just at the beginning whenever I want to use hot water. So if I have it switched one way, it will recirculate water through the system, so I can get the lines primed with hot water instead of wasting water waiting for hot water to work its way through the lines until it starts coming out hot.[/font]

Yes McMaster Carr has that adaptor. you could always use 2 straight through valves in place of a T-valve. Highdesertranger

Looked at a few fittings, but now I'm wondering if this valve might actually be compatible with NPT. The fitting has "DN15" stamped on the housing, which I was able to find means a nominal diameter of 15mm, which is right around 1/2". It doesn't look tapered, but it's hard to say for sure. I will measure it with a caliper. I think I just need to buy an NPT fitting and see if it fits. The world of pipe threads is way too confusing.

1/2" NPT will thread into 1/2" BSP, not great, but with some teflon tape and not too much pressure it will be ok. The pitch angles of the threads are the slightest bit different. Very annoying.