Diverting urine into the gray tank

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bornplaydie

Reaction score
Has anyone mixed urine with drain water in a large gray tank. I will have a 16 gal. gray tank in the garage. I will have a DIY composting toilet and it would be nice not to have to empty the urine every 2-3 days. We plan to manually "flush" the urine with a vinegar water solution as many do. Has anyone done this and are there any considerations I may be missing?

Your gray water would technically become black water. But you'd have a tank or urine diluted with water and whatever else is in your gray water. Soap? Food particles? I think it's no big deal, but I'm the type who unapologetically pees on the ground—but away from water sources.

Older RVs came with just one tank, which in my opinion is a better system, just treat everything as black water.

If you want to do the plumbing then go for it. It just means you have to empty the grey water tank a bit more frequently.

Just ignore the guys responses about peeing on the ground or in the sink. They think males are the only sex out their doing van life. That is because they don't have any women around to remind them that some are setters instead of pointers.

maki2 said:
Just ignore the guys responses about peeing on the ground or in the sink. They think males are the only sex out their doing van life. 
 Women don't pee on the ground??!!

Dresses/skirts make it easy and somewhat discreet.

There are also devices [covered on CRVL] that free females from having to sit to pee.

One promotional image was of a young, attractive female rock climber using the device to direct her urine out into the great beyond to rain down on who knows whom below.

Maki2:
       I do not appreciate the personal attack, especially since you don't know me. My wife of 39 years who travels with me would disagree with your assumptions. Yes, she does pee in the sink and under trees, because she is an outdoors person. We are fortunate enough to have a small sink in our "bathroom" that serves just like the urinals in a normal restroom, and of course, it's rinsed clean when we wash our hands afterwards.
      That said, "technically" urine turns your grey water into black water but we responsibly empty both tanks in approved dumps. We simply have a small capacity black tank in our rig and need to extend its use by keeping the urine separate. The OP's question was along similar lines, to save space.
       Attempting to answer the OP's question with a succinct and informative answer without going into paragraphs of details is why I posted "Pee in the sink" as an option to re-plumbing his grey/black water system.

I am retired military and know lots of soldiers who use devices to pee in the field standing up.
Here is a link to those devices and how they are used:
https://www.backpacker.com/gear-reviews/the-complete-guide-to-female-urination-devices/
One could also search this forum for the same information as it has been posted by many folks in the past.

Yr obt svt
Chuck

maki2 said:
If you want to do the  plumbing then go for it. It just means you have to empty the grey water tank a bit more frequently.

Just ignore the guys responses about peeing on the ground or in the sink. They think males are the only sex out their doing van life. That is because they don't have any women around to remind them that some are setters instead of pointers.

As in Irish setters...  or did you mean "sitters"?   ;>)

Many years ago I did a bus tour on the Green Tortoise bus line. No bathroom on board, but had a unisex funnel by the door with a hose going through the floor. Plumbers and bus mechanics should not eat with their fingers.