Converting Title for Converted Van to an RV Title, Easiest States

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingMobile

Reaction score
Planning on going full time after I retire in about a year. I've converted a van into a mobile home, complete with bed/couch, solar electric system, propane system with stove, and water system with fresh and gray tanks, a place to shower, a sink, and a toilet. The toilet is a so-called "composting" toilet, so no black tank.

In another thread someone mentioned changing the title of their van conversion to an RV title. They were in Michigan and it seemed relatively simple to do there by their description.

I am currently registered in South Dakota so I have low fees and can easily renew online. I am wondering if anybody here has converted the title on a van they have outfitted to live in into an RV title?

If so, in what state? and what was required in that state in order to be able to do so?

Vermont is the answer you're looking for!

How to immediately register your bus(van) as an RV without conversion:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/...ur-bus-as-an-rv-without-conversion-15292.html
Just follow the instructions and you'll have your new registration in about a month. You may even be able to do it online and come away with a temp tag immediately, since (I believe) they require paperwork to be submitted via mail even once your registered online.

Voila, your van will now be a "Motorhome" on the new title. You can then register it in your "home state" if you so wish, or just stay with VT registration.

Some areas have laws that if you live in an area X amount of days, you need to have their State's registration. For a traveling Nomad, no big deal, but say you operate out of one city, it maybe an issue. Buses are easy to take notice of. Someone notices you are there for a year with out of State plates it might upset them.

Most states require proof...either pictures submitted or an inspector looks it over, and signs off on it.

Typically the requirements are a permanently mounted bed, cooking facilities, fresh water supply, a hardwired 120v electrical system, a toilet with a holding tank...and either a heating or cooling system independent of running the engine. It varies from one state to the next. Some states only require a minimum, like a microwave and a cot, others need the full compliment of permanently installed amenities.

Once that is done, you call your insurance agent and listen to them turn you down, then go hunting for a company that will insure the conversion.

Good luck!

Most states require proof...either pictures submitted or an inspector looks it over, and signs off on it.

Typically the requirements are a permanently mounted bed, cooking facilities, fresh water supply, a hardwired 120v electrical system, a toilet with a holding tank...and either a heating or cooling system independent of running the engine. It varies from one state to the next. Some states only require a minimum, like a microwave and a cot, others need the full compliment of permanently installed amenities.

Once that is done, you call your insurance agent and listen to them turn you down, then go hunting for a company that will insure the conversion.

Good luck!
Yeah, insurance seems to be where the rubber hits the road and immediately thereafter encounters speed bumps. Maybe I should have asked if any of the states commonly used by full timers such as South Dakota and Texas, others?, have a reasonable policy for converting van registration into RV registration?

Unless your preferred insurance company will be discounting the rate quite a bit, it might not even be worth it.

Vermont requires no conversion and no residency to register your van as a motorhome, just paperwork and $$.

Once you register in Vermont you just call your current insurance agent (provided they cover motorhomes) and have them adjust your policy. Be aware of what that new policy covers re: full time living (as has been discussed in other threads).

Skoolie.net has a decent section on registration and insurance that's very helpful even though you're not in a bus.