dirty panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
I've been very lax lately about checking my charge. Saw the readout and it was at 11.7... yikes!!

I have portable panels.. and hadn't moved them around for a couple days and they were so dirty.

I was thankful I didn't have to climb up top to wash attached panels.

Curious how often folks climb up and clean their panels? I see many rigs with no ladders and I see many older people doing the nomad lifestyle....I can't imagine they are scaling the sides of the van to clean them.

Do you think people mount more solar to compensate for diminished performance due to the dirt?
Is it like buying 32 pair of underwear so I only have to wash them once a month?

I've thought about mounting panels up top but not sure now... that means a ladder and I don't think I'm keen about crawling around on a thin fiberglass high top.

I have a painter's pole with a sponge thing on the end. I stand in the back doorway of my standard van and scrub away. I can also stand in the side doorway.

As far as climbing on the roof goes, 70-something year old Swankie (of Nomadland fame) climbs out the driver window of her van and up onto the roof to clean her panels. I watched her do it.

For my van I use a 4 foot folding step ladder, that when not in use, is strapped to the tail end of the 2x4s that the panels are mounted upon.
I use the telescoping pole with a squeegee end to reach across the length of the panels.
Cleaned panels today, but the dirt was minimal, the smoky haze from the Dixie fire is what is reducing solar input.
The MPPT is in boost phase, though.

It's been raining so much lately during my travels in CO and NM that I don't worry about the panel on the roof.

Last year I added an 80W to use as a portable and would move it about for angle,etc. but that was a hassle.

This year I mounted it on top of my cargo box with tilt brackets and just leave it. In the PM I park with the rear of the van facing west.

It's easy to keep clean and tilted to the best angles during the PM. I probably get as much charging from the 80 watt panel as I do from the 100 watt up top.

0816211358-01.jpg

Attachments

• 0816211358-01.jpg
    0816211358-01.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 7
When I clean them depends on the weather. When there is a lot of blowing dust, it will settle on the panel so that is an every morning clean. If I am doing a lot of driving then clean when setting up camp is wise. If it has been raining a lot and I am stationary in a location without blowing dust then every three days. If I am in a rainy area and there is dust coming up from people driving on dirt roads then I need to clean daily as that makes them muddy.

So the only viable answer is you have to check pretty often, sometimes even daily and clean as required.

If you dont want to climb up to look set up for a viewing camera on a pole with a remote control.

desert_sailing said:
I've been very lax lately about checking my charge. Saw the readout and it was at 11.7... yikes!!

Keeping panels clean helps a little, but the greater issue is whether your system is adequate for your usage. A sufficiently powerful system would generate enough electricity for your needs even when dirty and overcast during short winter days.

I definitely need to increase my system.
I've only got 100 watts and 70 amps doubling that is in the plan.

The situation I mentioned above was 3 days usage without moving the panels. They received only the first very early hourish of daylight the rest was spent shaded by the van and trees.

Those 3 days had laptop charging, phone, lights, fan, and tv yammering in the background. I have yet to plug the fridge up inside the rig because of the heat... I didn't want to burn it up quite yet.

Sizing to be adequate for the need is understood... but do people oversize by x% to compensate for dirt and or overcast?

I've seen charts that show a significant drop in performance under overcast skies. I imagine dirt does too tho I haven't seen any charts about that.
It sounds like most who responded are cleaning off at least every other day?

I will increase my capacity just not sure if I should put the panels up top or stay with portables.

People in dusty and overcast environments should oversize by how much above need?

desert_sailing said:
 . . .
Curious how often folks climb up and clean their panels? I see many rigs with no ladders and I see many older people doing the nomad lifestyle....I can't imagine they are scaling the sides of the van to clean them.
 . . . that means a ladder and I don't think I'm keen about crawling around on a thin fiberglass high top.

I go by output:  If my batteries are not going into float by 1 or 2 pm. or I see a big drop off in full sun I climb up and clean them.  It is done about once every 2-3 weeks in summer, more often in spring (pine pollen) and fall (wet leaves).  There is a noticeable fall off when dirty.  I seldom camp in dusty conditions.

I carry a rock climbing ladder (Etrier) to climb up; only need to get to arm pit height, no climbing onto roof.  And I have a long arm windshield sponge/squeege to do the cleaning.

I use a 12 1/2 foot collapsing ladder to check mine. I generally clean them two or three times a year unless I notice a issue with charging or running a device.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I carry a rock climbing ladder (Etrier) to climb up; 
Great item to have. I've been wondering about some kind of ladder regardless of the solar.
I didn't even think of this. 

Thanks for mentioning it.

Remember that some people responding to you might have a whole lot of panels bringing in power. They might also have them up on a tall vehicle that makes it a nuisance to clean them. Versus your solar system with a relatively small panel.. Clean your panel regulary, hopefully at least once a month to get the maximum power out of it.

I clean them weather dependent but have a Little Giant ladder and telescopic aluminum utility pole that I screw a microfiber-combo-squeegee to get it done. Definitely slow and steady to not whack a panel or fall, lol. Also I don’t do it during the heat of the day to minimize temperature shock related cracking/micro cracking of the glass by spraying cold water on a hot panel.

I used to not think that panel cleanliness was a big deal.  I figured the rain would keep things reasonably clean and that energy production would not drop too far.

Wrong.  I learned  that dust and water spots have a LOT more impact on performance than you think.  A few years ago I did a pretty conclusive, quantifiable test for my Youtube channel to see what the difference is.  Maybe some of you will find this interesting/helpful:

[video=youtube]