Destroying a Hard Drive

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
if it's old and you can fire it up,  just go to the DOS prompt and do "format C"  you need some of those DOS thingys in there like /: can't remember now.  but that will erase your hard drive.  if you can't do that beat the C**p out of it.    highdesertranger

HDR:
All 'format C' does is erase the directory so DOS cannot find the data.  The data is still on the hard disk for someone with the right equipment to extract.  In fact, on the older hard drives (my experience is getting dated) it was possible to read data that had been overwritten up to three times; hence the five overwrites for guaranteed erasure.  Pulverizing the drive works well unless you are really paranoid.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
HDR:
All 'format C' does is erase the directory so DOS cannot find the data.  The data is still on the hard disk for someone with the right equipment to extract.  In fact, on the older hard drives (my experience is getting dated) it was possible to read data that had been overwritten up to three times; hence the five overwrites for guaranteed erasure.  Pulverizing the drive works well unless you are really paranoid.

-- Spiff
I've read they are now able to read data that has been overwritten up to seven times.

But that's kinda moot, because knocking all those Fs outta the drive is so much more satisfying.

The last time I bought a PC from the Pawn Shop, an old WinME Emachine tower unit, it had the prior owner's whole life history and personal data in it, free for the taking.  Stupid college kid.  Lucky for him I am honest - I ripped out that HD, installed a bigger one and swapped in WinXP.  The old HD went to the shooting range for some "destructive testing".

highdesertranger said:
if it's old and you can fire it up,  just go to the DOS prompt and do "format C"  you need some of those DOS thingys in there like /: can't remember now.  but that will erase your hard drive.  if you can't do that beat the C**p out of it.    highdesertranger
Doing a format does not erase the files.  All it does is change the names of the files so that DOS can not find them.  (It has been a while, but I think it is just the first 2 characters that are removed.)  The files can still be accessed with off the shelf programs.

"Damn, where was this thread when I needed it?"
    --HRC

:p

Think most will need a combination of several methods. Almost like getting rid of an invasive alien monster. Burn it, drown it, crush it, take it apart, scrambled magnet. Or just ignore it as your personal information is useless for identity theft.

Just an observation, but if you really have sensitive info on your hard drive, it should be encrypted.  That not only renders destroying an old hard drive unnecessary, it protects you if your machine is stolen.

Better yet, keep the sensitive stuff on flash drives, which come with FREE encryption software.  A couple of encrypted flash drives provides backup and redundancy for the important stuff.

Oh, and if I REALLY wanted to destroy a hard drive, I'd dump the platters into a container of powerful acid.  That would even beat the forensic boys at FBI and RCMP, I'm sure.

Regards
John

hahahaha I think Hillary should have read this thread. now don't go get all political it's just a joke. highdesertranger

why not just fold it in half and repurpose it as a wheel chock?

Or more simply- lay it over a small pipe/board and drive over it a few times to break it open?
problem solved.

An electro-magnet will obliterate any data on the drive as well as destroy the motor. Standard military solution for when they auction their old computers. On a side note, a microwave works very well for cds. They used to have one designated just for that purpose for classified and up info.

I have always used them for target practice then tossed the remains in a very hot fire. A wood fire that has been burning for days seems to be enough to melt aluminum.