Dern Windshield Wipers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheelEstate USA

Reaction score
This is the first time we've seen rain since getting the van. Since I clean the windows with scrubber and squeegee, I've never needed the wipers.
Here in Colo, we have been having some afternoon showers, so I was gonna put on some new blades.
To my surprise, the wiper made one pass and parked themselves in the center of the windshield and didn't wanna move. Finally, with the switch off, I jiggled them outside and they went back to the stop position.

Anyone got an idea what causes this??

Look at the linkage under the cowl. You might need a clip that is available in a generic pack from a parts house.

Electrical connections get minor corrosion and sometimes fail once or twice when used after sitting unused for a while.

Those clips are standard in every Dodge man's parts box.

Could be a wiper motor. When the brushes get worn the motor can stop. Wiggling the blades can get the brushes to make contact enough to allow them to park.

It would seem the problem was in the wiring connector. I pulled the one apart right below the motor and after a little cleaning the wipers are working fine.

Thanks for the info contributions.

I'm gonna pick up some clips to stick in my tool kit also.

I like keeping my window waxed with this product;
http://www.starbrite.com/item/premium-marine-polish-with-ptef

It beads water as well as RainX, without that starbursting of oncoming car headlamps, and lasts a long time.

I use it on my surfboard hulls and it beads water and remains shiny about 4x longer than any other car wax type product i have tried. Not sure i'd purchase this product just for the windshield though.

The wipers move so much smoother and wipe better on this waxed surface it likely reduces stress on the wiper linkages, which I have never touched on my Dodge. Also it makes the wipers moreeffective at cleaning the windshield.
Since the water beads so nicely, I wind up using the wipers a lot less than the average person. For some reason when I see people with wipers going full tilt in a slight drizzle, I get all irritated. But thats a personal problem, unless I am in the car with you and cannot reach the wiper switch myself :)

Might double check if it has a body ground. Little brass strap that goes around one of the motor assemblies mounting bushings. Pretty common fail spot too.

Great. I'm glad you didn't have a bigger problem. A small drop of oil on the nylon clip/bearings will help them last. Find them behind the cowl vent cover. I had a hard time getting to mine, 1987 b250. I had to remove the hood to get the cover off and out of the way.

Once long ago, in 2002, my wiper linkage started squeaking, which of course I found intolerable. I squirted some canned white lithium grease through the cowl at all the friction points with the little red add on straws which fit on the spray cans.

Not a peep since.