Decoupage on van interior

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. I’m from California, so I decided my van is a Latina. That inspired everything. I’ve long been fascinated by Kahlo’s life and work. Have you seen her journals? They’re beautiful.

I was thinking of removing the counter and replacing with marble. I didn’t want to do butcher block because it’s an Airstream and everything is real oak. I needed to have less dusty ‘90s blue, but not add more wood. Had bought Talavera tile for backsplash, that we ended up using on the stair rise. Saw this tile on Amazon and loved it. Turns out, it’s imported and sold by a couple about 30 miles from me, so I got about 12% off and I’m supporting a family.

When I bought the van 3 years ago, I happened to buy a product called SimpleMat for updating laminate counters. It’s a sticker on one side, which goes down on the counter. The top has small strips of glue, like when you get a gift card or new debit card. You place the tile, adjust to your liking, press down, and grout. I was even able to leave the plastic over the glue on the parts I didn’t finish. It eliminates the need for 2 separate adhesives and definitely made the job easier and less messy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More pics sub2rain!!! Let’s see the whole thing!!![emoji3]

Cammalu said:
More pics sub2rain!!! Let’s see the whole thing!!![emoji3]

The tile and backsplash are my favorite, but I also painted the sink snd appliances rose gold and copper. There are 2x2” Talavera tiles on the step rise. I’d imagined that for years, glad it’s finally come to be!

Still need to finish wallpaper on doors and side walls, painting upholstered part of front doors, make window covers, and add throw pillows. Seat & couch covers are down the line.

Before & after:
be35c5a04a1c541c1bee7e1042a39a7d.jpg

Saved myself $150!!!
44da17355b7366280efd2010eaea9c81.jpg

f0e0887c4d1d1cf6b680b72ba89aed9f.jpg

098761a6f0447eb0c8e0247b203c8ed0.jpg

8674a739b7bf73d6ba1a96d8b26aeef4.jpg

d5099adde8fc09855259a0d62cf79008.jpg

Floral contact/wallpaper on door panels, sign, mugs, bowls I bought for van, glitter floors.
84e532cc89211e9fb44ea64745282ce4.jpg

1990 laminate counter before; copper sink & faucet

4193a20e8f2803b7f08a0e9f6b68a81e.jpg

Nice. Do you need my address? [emoji3]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

The great thing is most of it was from Amazon, projects were doable by a novice, and it really brightened up the van (sooooo much 1990 dusty blue and all the cabinets and the bunk are oak).

I needed help, due to mobility issues, but most people could do this. Only needed a drill for the hooks and attaching cutting boards as flip up shelves. Only other tools were paintbrushes and rollers.

It really was. I’ve been buying things for 3 years. Didn’t know if they’d work together. I’m loving it.

I am so proud I was able to do the counter, even with crooked grout lines.

I’m so happy whenever I see it!

Very beautiful what you have done to your van  :heart:  What did you name (her ?)   I also love F.K.  Love all the variety of tiles & rose copper sink  :heart: :heart: :heart:

Yes it’s definitely a happy place. Do you need my address??

Gypsy108 said:
Very beautiful what you have done to your van  :heart:  What did you name (her ?)   I also love F.K.  Love all the variety of tiles & rose copper sink  :heart: :heart: :heart:

Thank you. I love all the color!

I originally named her BE FAR: Beatriz Esmerelda Frida Anjelica Rosalinda. Rosalinda was a friend since junior high who passed away a few years ago. My hairdresser came up with Beatriz. I originally wanted a B name because she’s an Airstream B190.

Then, it dawned on me that the band Camper Van Beethoven’s name would be great. A friend who is Mexican said that could be her “paper name” or “White People name.” [emoji23]

Complicated and silly. That’s about right for me.

Cammalu said:
Yes it’s definitely a happy place. Do you need my address??

I’d never manage it without my helper. I’ll give him your address. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

sub2rainEN said:
Thank you. I love all the color!

I originally named her BE FAR: Beatriz Esmerelda Frida Anjelica Rosalinda. Rosalinda was a friend since junior high who passed away a few years ago. My hairdresser came up with Beatriz. I originally wanted a B name because she’s an Airstream B190.

Then, it dawned on me that the band Camper Van Beethoven’s name would be great. A friend who is Mexican said that could be her “paper name” or “White People name.” [emoji23]

Complicated and silly. That’s about right for me.

What do you think of the name: Bella  ?     She is mucho bella  :heart:

Gypsy108 said:
What do you think of the name: Bella  ?     She is mucho bella  :heart:

Love it, although people would think it was from Twilight. [emoji23]

I’m happy with her names, but that would have been great too!

Yes...you know it when you know it... :heart:   I have heard of the Twilight series...but never saw it nor heard of the characters names...wishing you the best on your journey !!! :heart:

Yes!

Thank you. Planning my second cross country trip in the van now. She’s going to feel even more homey. [emoji175]

Wow...the farthest I've ever driven by myself is about 50 miles....but i think sometime soon i will be driving cross country & living in my car ( also for the first time) .   I am scared... 

:heart: Have fun & be safe !!!

I find it’s great to sing loudly, listen to books, and daydream your plans for your life. I don’t mind long drives, it’s good me time.

I haven’t had too much worry for safety, but I always let my mom and a few friends know where I am, where I plan to get to, and where I ended up. At least if something happened to me, they’d know about where I was. I’ve never had a problem in 5-6 cross country trips.

Enjoy your journey and be safe!

This is an interesting decision and I am sure that changing the interior of the trailer will always cheer you up!