Decoupage on van interior

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesprite

Reaction score
(I thought I already posted about this, but the post isn't here....)

Has anyone done decoupage on the van interior that holds up in summer heat? I'm trying to think of something different I can do with my walls.

There is a YouTube video of a van build out with cabinets and counters made out of insulation foam and they used brown paper bags and paper road maps. Just search cabinets built from foam and you may find it.

bullfrog said:
There is a YouTube video of a van build out with cabinets and counters made out of insulation foam and they used brown paper bags and paper road maps. Just search cabinets built from foam and you may find it.

I'm just wanting to do decoupage on painted wood walls.

Decopage coating is pretty much clear acrylic media. The heat should not bother it. You can always do a topcoat of water based polyurethane varnish over the entire wall when you get done adding stuff onto it.

The sticker wall looks great.

Thanks, Maki2. Do you know of a specific polyurethane that won't yellow over time?

I did decoupage on my wooden cabinet doors. Have had no problems in heat or cold.

Woodworkingtrade.com has an interesting article on lacquer and varnish.
Spent my childhood varnishing boat decks. Remember pre-child labor laws? LOL.

Heck I was a baby in a basket, couldn’t even walk yet, my mom told me she would go out to the curve in the train tracks to pickup coal for the pot belly stove and I would be reaching out filling up my basket! Lol!!! Number 9 coal was my first toy!

I am watching this for anything I may not have thought about yet as I am also decopageing some of my walls so far I have just put one thing up and I know it is not firmly on because it is only on with watered down elmers school glue onces I am sure everything is were I want it I will finish it with poly something or other... I have a good paper USA map up so we can sharpy draw were we are and have been in the van. I will be adding stickers so I am hoping it will work.

treesprite said:
The sticker wall looks great.

Thanks, Maki2. Do you know of a specific polyurethane that won't yellow over time?
You are confusing water based polyurethane with traditional VOC based polyurethane. The water based does not yellow over time. Remember to apply thin coats with a foam roller or brush and be careful when stirring to go slow to avoid creating bubbles.

Late to this thread, but I did my van with Luan wood on all the doors.  Put on photos, news clipping, magazine covers, etc.  Used Elmers glue diluted with water to stick on wood.  Then polyurethaned over it with a water based poly.  Looks great and holds up well.  Everything is racing themed, as that is what I use my van for on weekends.  I'd post pics, but it's a bit of a pain.
Good luck!

I have plans. I've collected retro look and vintage look rub on decorations, the kind you stencil on by rubbing a spoon over the backing. I'd like to collect some floral ones to strew around randomly. Some fashion paperdolls for my sewing 'room'. Good old Modge Podge to seal everything, since I have a large bottle of it. But first, I need to build the cabinets to put stuff on. 0_O.
I figure it's as close as I will get to having a garden again.

I did a Frida Kahlo postcard backsplash in my van to replace the vinyl ‘90s wallpaper. After adhering and covering the cards with MP, I used 2 more coats of MP, and 1 coat of poly. Pro-tip: put MP on the surface, not the paper. Oops!

While I only did this recently, I previously did a glitter & Mod Podge top on a dresser, sealed with Poly. I messed up the front (a Marilyn Monroe poster, also Mod Podge). By the time I received the replacement poster, I was busy and no longer had the free space in my bedroom for the dresser. It’s been outside for several years in a desert climate. The top can be wiped clean with a dry or damp cloth, due to the poly.

94fdb1ce0eb1d15d591df39443d6f0b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool!

Thank you. It was fun to do. I originally planned to use the postcards on the floor, but I love how this came out.