Decisions before buying a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swortsoul

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm new around here. I am looking to buy a van to convert into a camper. I'm still researching everything to present to my SO, who doesn't think she wants a van, yet. I've been reading through many forums and blogs and am impressed with everyone's projects. I have several questions that I haven't found exact answers to, so I figured it was time to register and post. 

[font='Times New Roman', serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif]I'd like a van to use as a weekend and multi week camper, a cargo van to haul materials  and motorcycles, and sometimes a daily driver. We have one car. I will commute on my motorcycle 10 months a year, but when it's over 110, I'll need another vehicle. I just can't justify buying a car and a separate RV. I'm looking into low roof Ram Promasters, and low and medium roof Ford Transits.[/font][/font]

[font='Times New Roman', serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif] [/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman', serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif]After renting a cargo van(Ford Transit), I think I could easily commute the 10 miles to work in it  for the month or two I need it. Errands and everything else at night we would use our car. [/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman', serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif]I was looking at buying a pickup truck to haul materials and motorcycles when needed. A cargo van would obviously accomplish that. To use as a camper and a cargo van, I'd need to be able to remove the interior when needed. So I'm looking into building cabinets/storage/bed that can fairly easily be pulled out when needed. Some things would be permanently installed (top cabinets, solar panels, batteries, controllers, etc). Cabinets/storage/bed that rest on the floor would be removed when needed.[/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman', serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif]We love being outdoors while camping. I plan to continue putting up an outdoor kitchen. So making a removable kitchen box with sink, our camp stove, and a small table would work well under a roof mounted awning. Obviously we're not talking about stealth camping  with this.[/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman', serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Am I crazy for trying to have a vehicle perform too many roles?[/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman', serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Does anyone have any examples of something like this?[/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman', serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif]I'm particularly interested in how to mount the removable furniture safely for driving.[/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman', serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Thanks for any thoughts.[/font][/font]
[font='Times New Roman', serif][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Tim[/font][/font]

Nope, sounds like your thinking is on track, in fact very common ideas.

YouTube has tons of videos showing easily removable setups from cheap and simple DIY, tourists renting a Chrysler van, to crazy expensive European over-engineered custom vans and slide-out kits.

I advise L-track for flexibility in secure mounting.

John61CT said:
Nope,  sounds like your thinking is on track,  in fact very common ideas.

YouTube has tons of videos showing easily removable setups from cheap and simple DIY,  tourists renting a Chrysler van,  to crazy expensive European over-engineered custom vans and slide-out kits.

I advise L-track for flexibility in secure mounting.

Right on. I've literally spent hours on YouTube so far watching videos. Most are people making permanent campers. I'm glad to hear the removable idea is not novel. It's always easier to work off other people's ideas. 

I'll look into L-track. Thank you.

How much cargo space do you really need? The whole van, or just room for a bike? The easiest way I can think of would be to have benches along the walls with a table in the middle that drops down to become the bed. Then you could remove the table and put the bike in the middle... maybe. The dimensions might be tight but it seems like it could be possible.

If you need more space than that, I think that same layout would be easily removed. Build the benches/bed as freestanding boxes, then bolt them into the floor to install, remove the bolts to take them back out. I would do the kitchen cabinets the same way. For removal, I would build the plumbing to be easily disconnected, water tanks removed, then unbolt the cabinets and take them out. I guess if the tanks were empty that wouldn't really be necessary.

My bed is a large platform that extends all the way across the rear of the van, wall to wall, wider than the doors. This would not be a good design for easy removal. Another design that would be easy to remove would be a bench that slides out into a bed. Lot's of people build those so you should be able to find lots of examples. My first bed was actually built that way before I did my walls, so I had the frame ratchet-strapped to the walls. And I did remove it to use my Econoline as a moving van. It worked great! But, now that my paneling is up I don't have the same holes for hooking in my straps. Although, if you designed those attachment points into your walls, that may be another way to go.

In the mid 70's We could afford one vehicle- it was a Ford 3/4 ton window van. It was daily driver, work van, and camper by removing tools ( in their own trays/boxes) , hardware, etc and installing a bed platform that locked into brackets, tossing in a cooler, mattress and totes/boxes of clothes and food. It took no more than 20 minutes to convert.
Alas, all pictures are long gone.
Vans since then I have chosen to leave in camper mode and haul a trailer for most other stuff.
If I have to build another once I have no home base, it will be made with moving everything to a replacement van with minimal effort in mind..

You sacrifice a lot of comfort in order to have a van go back and forth from camper to hauler.
Plus, you have to store all the interior bits when not in use AND bust your butt taking them in and out.
If possible, I'd suggest a better van conversion + tow package and a cheap 5x8 trailer for materials and motorcycles.
Probably have a MUCH easier time convincing your better half too if the van is a lot nicer in camper mode.

Gideon33w said:
Probably have a MUCH easier time convincing your better half too if the van is a lot nicer in camper mode.

There's a lot of wisdom in that statement! This is the only reason I'm installing wood paneling right now in my conversion project.

Man, semi-related. When the power was out from Irma; my wife while using the butane stove with boxes of bottled water, macaroni and cheese, flash lights, etc. around; told me she could never cook in a small space like that. I told her when we retire, I'd have to take solo trips. She agreed. I know couples on here does that. That might just be where I'm heading to. And no, she won't cook outdoors. :D

So, yes. I agree about looking nice and comfy for the Mrs. and Instagrammable comments.

sometimesido said:
..told me she could never cook in a small space like that. I told her when we retire, I'd have to take solo trips.

or just take over the cooking duties yourself

mayble said:
or just take over the cooking duties yourself

:)

Little more complicated than that. Some things, she won't let me cook for her. She pretty much has to be bedridden for her to let me cook for her. I don't think I'm a bad cook, I can make most easy to medium to make dishes fine. It's just the way she is.

Replacement parts can be hard to find, sometimes better to make do with what you have.

Flexibility is key

time ran out for 15 min edit window.

also search for "kitchen pod" guess they're big in Europe.

I attached a photo of diy version.

thTWQJCVIL.jpg

Attachments

• thTWQJCVIL.jpg
    thTWQJCVIL.jpg
    14.8 KB
Thank you all for the replies. I think you are right about the interior needing to get approval. I think the need for a cargo van will be much less than using it for camping. I think I have a design where I'll only need to remove the couch/bed to use it as 80% cargo, which is fine. I'm also debating a low roof with a pop top, which would make this easy. If that proves to be too much to deal with, I could always use a small trailer as mentioned.

I'm glad I've found this forum. I'm starting to get an idea of what's possible. Once this happens, I'll post up some pictures.

Thanks again.

Check out my layout which has a forward bed. If the kitchen in mine was removable (or collapsible) it would have a 3' wide, full height, and 6' long area for cargo accessible via the rear doors. And that is with a 41" wide bed and a bulkhead. Might not be perfect for your needs but it's a different sort of layout than most and offers more storage and floor space.

I don't think Sportsmobile makes it anymore, but they used to have a model called the transformer. Pretty much exactly what you are looking for I think. Permanent small galley behind the driver's seat. Everything else removable. It could have two rows of seats in back, or one row with a bed across behind, or wide open for cargo. It also had a poptop with another bed above. A Google search should pull up some images and maybe even one or two for sale.