Dealing with potty issues...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmotorscooter

Reaction score
Please ladies and gentlemen, let's refrain from smart ass or sarcastic remarks (a little humor is fine).

I've never pooped in a bucket before, but I don't think it would be as difficult as rocket science.

What happens if and when you have a serious episode of diarrhea?  Let's assume you were fortunate enough to make it to the bucket.  Now you have a bag (doubled up hopefully) with a lot of toxic liquid, what ever to do?

My idea would be to dump saw dust or kitty litter in to absorb most of the liquid.  Would this be effective?  Or is there a better solution?

How does one deal with such a crappy situation?

"refrain from smart ass or sarcastic remarks". Been there, done that. :angel:

Not had the problem so far with my bucket endeavors, but I would put more kitty in until it dried things out fairly well. Spare no expense on extra kitty litter. It'll still be gross.[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif] C'est la vie.[/font]

BTW, if you do a forum search on the term "kitty litter", you'll find a lot of threads where pooping in a bucket has been discussed ... in vivid, living, and multi-colored detail.

badmotorscooter said:
Please ladies and gentlemen, let's refrain from smart ass or sarcastic remarks (a little humor is fine).

I can’t... I’ll just have to be kicked off the forum...

Cross that river when you come to it. Somehow you will survive, most likely. Until then, don't worry about all the "what ifs." That's my best advice. One day at a time.

Cammalu said:
I can’t...  I’ll just have to be kicked off the forum...
If you can't poke fun at poop, there's just about nothing left that you can poke fun at. Anything else will get the PC Police standing up and pointing a finger at you.

You take along some Imodium. I can't imagine going on a trip without it much less not having it in my medicine cabinet. Stops the runs very effectively.  Now and again I will eat something that does not agree with me so it is not just for times when you have the flu.

But you are correct in that you add some desicating material to absorb the mess. But you will want to change out the bag as soon as you feel up to the chore.  Good idea to keep a few of the puppy or old folks pee pads on hand to protect your bed, or if you have to drive to a doctor, the car seat. Accidents do happen when people get ill.

I put the kitty litter in first. Putting it in after isn't nearly as effective. Liquid runs down, not up. Even with an absorptive like kitty litter. I also try not to have it all sit in one lump.

Further, I try to rig everything up beforehand. It's rare that I get diarrhea without some sort of warning discomforts. And when it strikes (like Thunderball) I want to be ready to have to do naught but tear my pants down and send myself flying into position.

I've never found anything to keep the smell away for long, kitty litter or coir or peat or whatever. I do push all the air out, wind the bag's neck tightly, and knot it as close to the goods and as tight as possible, then double bag it and repeat. Still, the stank comes through. I put it in an ammo box outside my trailer until I can dump it, because inside it becomes horrific in short order.

Well, it's kind of embarrassing, but here goes.

I have undiagnosed sibo (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). I know this because after a ruptured appendix 25 years ago, I don't have an ileocecal valve anymore. My last doctor was pretty much o!d fashioned and out of date and didn't want to do anything for me, no surprise.

The ileocecal valve is a sphincter that stops backflow from the ascending colon to down into your small intestine. It also holds material in the small intestine before releasing it. You don't need 8 years of medical training to figure out no valve will cause things to not work right. The large intestine has a tremendous amount of bacteria compared to the small intestine. So when things move backwards it will cause issues.

From what I researched my symptoms are quite mild, it could be really miserable. As I got older things started going a little south, but I didn't realize something was wrong. My saving grace is I stay very physically active and drink a gallon of water everyday. But sometimes my bowel movements are really loose or liquid. Luckily it doesn't cause uncontrollable diarrhea.

There, now you know why I specifically want to know how to handle the waste product.

I've never used one, but I wonder whether a regular porta potti might work best here. One advantage is you can put in certain chemicals to help the process in the tank.

My thoughts also is if this is a more regular situation then just a 'bout with the D' every blue moon or so then maybe you should consider a more chemical type compost type toilet to bring. I mean would that be an option? That way you have 'the system' set in play and ready to handle your needs. Just spewing out a thought...spewing away...just spewing it all over....just spewing it up and down and all around :)

I agree with Qxxx here. Due to your existing medical condition, you might wish to save yourself anxiety and distress by planning a better method based on that. I've seen a Loveo Dry Flush that might work for someone in your situation - although it's a heckuva lot more expensive than a bucket and hamster bedding/coir/peat :) But it can also go like two weeks I think, before it needs to be emptied and has no chemicals or water required. I think it also runs on multiple types of power - rechargeable batter, a/c and 12 v. (let me go find a link)

It's Laveo - https://dry-flush.com/features/

Not sure if that would suit your space requirements, but it is another option.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I should have been more forthcoming in my initial post, but you know...

Always make sure that you properly prepare your "bucket" for the next encounter, with a taped on new bag/bags as soon as you are finished with the previous "transaction". To keep the initial smell down, you could through a handfull of kitty litter, or sawdust/chips in the bag before use, and then afterwards also.

If you are having problems with making that kind of mess, you may want to examine your diet, and stay away from trigger foods.

As others have mentioned, for best results you "always" need to put some kitty litter in the bag "first". And usually some more afterwards.

Yes, kitty litter first.

I have identified some foods that make my symptoms worse and avoid them.

Why not try some cheap solutions while you're still at home (assuming that's where you are now). Start with a bucket and bags and foam padding. Have some wood chips around as well as kitty litter. Do experiments while you have "home court" advantage.

Also, in one video of Bob's he showed a lid that you can buy to screw on top of a 5 gallon bucket that makes it easier to seal it tight, but that might take up too much space.

I've often wondered about a really small diaper pail and your question inspired a google search for "portable diaper pail" and I found this:
https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Por...-Diapers/dp/B07P3MZBLP/ref=asc_df_B07P3MZBLP/

"Also, in one video of Bob's he showed a lid that you can buy to screw on top of a 5 gallon bucket that makes it easier to seal it tight, but that might take up too much space".

FYI, I use a 2-gallon paint bucket from Lowes with one of those cheap plastic seats on top. The 5-gal bucket takes up too much space in my van. I put the 2-gal bucket on one of those plastic fitness steps to raise it to a comfortable level. I originally had one of the folding plastic steps you see in all the RV youtubers videos, but it broke.

https://www.amazon.com/Giantex-Aerobic-Step-Stepper-Exercise/dp/B019I9ZMUG

Qxxx said:
As others have mentioned, for best results you "always" need to put some kitty litter in the bag "first". And usually some more afterwards.

... and cinnamon, before and/or after. :)

For the record, I've had four bouts of diarrhea while living in my van.
First time was while urban/Walmart boondocking, so used W's washroom, but after the third trip, punked out and took a Loperamide which definitely helped (Disclaimer: carefully research Loperamide before using, as there are many valid reasons not to use it).

All other times were while I was in da Forest and using da Bucket. :(
Yes, messy, but as I've mentioned, I do pre-pack a few poop bags, and tie them off immediately after use so 2 of the 3 non-urban occurrences were readily manageable.
The third (most recent) there was spillage into the bucket, which was the only "significant" problem I've had (fortunately, it occurred near the end of a stretch... and cinnamon really, really, REALLY helped).

As others (and the OP) have said, definitely investigate this further, before Launching.
If at all possible, practice using TheBucket/whatever, and transition your diet well in advance.
I suspect a lot of folks do experience problems, but simply don't admit it.
When one's life is suddenly shifted upside down-ish, it would be highly unusual if there weren't any physical issues.

Qxxx:
Thanks for one more data point against watching YT. ;)
Dumb question: did you try dual-purposing the 5-gallon bucket as a chair/seat?
I use mine mainly as my "kitchen" chair. :)
To be honest, I'm not using it as a bucket, because the lid is kinda stuck on (will be tackling that with my prybar, soon-ish).
I use a 2-gallon bucket for pooping, but plan to store it inside the 5 gallon bucket, once I've sorted that out.

I have enough floor space in my van that I use a folding deck chair to sit on, and to work at the computer desk. Put my bed pillow on the chair for padding. Old bones and bad hip need more comfort.

Latest posts