Has anyone tried cat litter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VagabondWahine

Reaction score
So, I have three cats (don't make any 'Cat Lady' jokes, I had five 6 mos ago). I've watched several videos on peeing & pooping and read through several threads here about the ongoing debate on solving the toilet conundrum. Yesterday, I was emptying the litter box and thought, "My cats pee & poop in cat litter throughout the day (I use Arm & Hammer's Slide) and there is no smell. Why couldn't I cut the bottom out of a five-gallon bucket, attach a toilet seat to the top (I like the padded ones), set them over a tray of cat litter (I would want my own) , and let nature take it's course?" The litter I buy is slightly scented, and by using some essential oil potpourri close by, I cannot think of a reason why this wouldn't solve the potty problem. Cats & humans are both mammals, why wouldn't cat litter work for all of us.

I'd like to hear your feedback. LMK what you see as pros & cons. Maybe some brave souls could try it. Next step would be a poll.
Thanks to one and all, VagabondWahine

Oh, BTW, if this idea does work, remember you heard it here first. I would want the patent.

I'm not sure what you'd be accomplishing doing this. Can you tell us why this is better than using a bag in your bucket and adding some litter before and/or after, like lots of us are doing?

The cons I can see:

1. Cutting out the bottom makes the whole thing less stable
2. With no bag, the inside is subject to splash or even taking a direct hit, and then you have a yucky clean-up
3. With no bag, now you've got a pile of poop to play with. A big one too, compared to what a cat does. Why would you want that?
4. Whenever the bucket is taken out, you chance spraying or spilling cat litter around.

VagabondWahine said:
Cats & humans are both mammals, why wouldn't cat litter work for all of us.

wee jug.jpg
Hi Vagabond,

My YorkiePoo uses clumping litter.  Her box is right next to my easy chair, which makes it so easy to reach down and scoop her wet or dry deposits as soon as she makes them,.  It's perfect, but litter is heavy, even  with a tiny 5 pound critter.

Why not a comfy seat on a bucket, using gerbil bedding from WalMart or anyplace, just for solids..You probably know that mixing solids and liquid is what causes odor.

I have a question.  Why do women or men need an expensive separating toilet to keep the liquid in a separate, dumpable container, when gizmos like the one attached are available?  I just ordered one at $12.95. I call it my Wee Jug

Attachments

• wee jug.jpg
    wee jug.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 17
;) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          WHAT DINGFELDER SAID x 2

JewellAnn

Obviously, her cat refuses to poop in a plastic bag, so she's doing double-use on the kitty litter pan. However, I'm amazed the cat will stand for large piles in its box surrounding its dainty little feline deposits, :). Imagine the poor cat having to crawl into THAT. I prefer single-use plastic bags. No mess, no cleanup, no befouling of the pail.

Dingfelder said:
The cons I can see:

1.  Cutting out the bottom makes the whole thing less stable
2.  With no bag, the inside is subject to splash or even taking a direct hit, and then you have a yucky clean-up
3.  With no bag, now you've got a pile of poop to play with. A big one too, compared to what a cat does.  Why would you want that?
4.  Whenever the bucket is taken out, you chance spraying or spilling cat litter around.
Thank you, Dingfelder, for pointing out the cons to my idea. Hadn't thought it through as well as you & the others have. In addition to your cons, another member pointed out how heavy litter is to carry. I can see that one litter box in my living space is enough. Right now I have three cats, but plan to relinquish two of them. I don't think I can let go of my oldest, Lone Ranger. I'm going to try him on harness. Then most of the litter headache will resolve itself.
Thanks again for posting a serious answer to a newbie's question. Aloha, VagabondWahine

max+sophia said:
I have a question.  Why do women or men need an expensive separating toilet to keep the liquid in a separate, dumpable container, when gizmos like the one attached are available?  I just ordered one at $12.95. I call it my Wee Jug

Thanks, max+sophia (and other members), for dissuading me of my litter contraption. The Wee Jug idea would solve my most pressing concern: needing to pee in the middle of the night. I hope to be mostly in campgrounds or in towns, so taking care of #2 shouldn't be problem--but just in case, I'll have a bucket & plastic bags handy.
I'd like to take a look at the bag you posted. What is the product's name? Aloha, VW

QinReno said:
Obviously, her cat refuses to poop in a plastic bag, so she's doing double-use on the kitty litter pan. However, I'm amazed the cat will stand for large piles in its box surrounding its dainty little feline deposits, :). Imagine the poor cat having to crawl into THAT. I prefer single-use plastic bags. No mess, no cleanup, no befouling of the pail.

OK, OK, I have been properly enlightened. (Although I did specify that I would want my own litter tray.) I see the usefulness of the combined wisdom of the pack. A large bucket will be first on my 'To Buy' list. Also want to look into max+sophia's 'Wee Bag.' See you around the forums, VW

... combined wisdom of the pack.
It's more like a mob.

Take a look at this thread, different people with different schemes. (most people don't keep it for 2-weeks, BTW). Basic method is 13-gal plastic bag, a bit of kitty litter in beforehand, and a bit more kitty litter in afterwards, then tie it off. Pee **always** goes in a separate bottle.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=30944

There are multiple kinds of potty rigs on the market, so not everyone uses a pail, but they usually do use a plastic bag with most of the rigs. Some people also prefer complete porta-potti systems, but then you do have to evacuate it regularly.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07218B4DQ
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSOWG7U
https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Collapsible-Portable-Toilet/dp/B0024OAQ3Q
https://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Portable-Lightweight-Self-Contained/dp/B000FIDZLI

Anyone ever try crapping in a Diaper Genie?

I haven't, but thought it might work for some. Isn't there another similar one that makes a long chain of continuous poop "sausages", or is that another way to use this one?

Personally I'd rather not add plastic to the environment/landfill each time I take a dump, so I lean toward a composting style. Actual use may change my preference over time.

QinReno said:

Nope, she said she wants to use her own pan.

"set them over a tray of cat litter (I would want my own"

Dingfelder said:
"set them over a tray of cat litter (I would want my own"

I don't get it.  Cut the bottom out of a pail, place over human litter tray, perhaps have a seat attached, then make a deposit into the tray.  Won't the tray need another bucket to dump the junk into for carrying away?  

I've read many many solutions here and elsewhere, but I haven't seen any mention of using a baby diaper odorless disposal system.

<a href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=B00BLVQIMG&linkCode=as2&tag=wwwhomesecu07-20"><b>Study Diaper disposal units</b></a>

The Genie system works, but special bag cartridges have to be purchased.  Amazon has a step-on container made of metal, with a special gasket.  That one uses just a bag, you can provide, and purposed for adult waste, one would have to figure out how to dump into a smaller bag, twirl shut, and put in step can.

Over and OUT !!!

QinReno said:
Imagine the poor cat having to crawl into THAT. I prefer single-use plastic bags. No mess, no cleanup, no befouling of the pail.

Thanks, Q. Now I can't **unimagine** that.

The Dire Wolfess

Moxadox said:
Thanks, Q.  Now I can't **unimagine** that.
Umm. what was that other thing you couldn't not un-imagine? Just trying to jog your memory so you can have double the fun. 

Haven't you learned by now not to read my posts? Hard-core realism, no pussy-footin' around, like Wahine's kittys in a litter box.

Wow, all of these posts took some time to read through, I'm pooped! Night all.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk