Dates for RTR 2015 Set

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Janncoo, I'm with you on the 300-400 miles per day and also hate interstates but in winter they may be a better option for the majority of the trip west. I can leave a few days before New Years if need be but have grooming to do on the 26th and 27th. I also had trouble traveling on New Years eve a few years back and wanted to avoid the holiday traffic.
Dragonfly, I sure hope we can meet up on the way at least. My plan is to spend a couple of days in Vegas after the RTR and then (slowly) head to central Florida to see Mom and Sisters. There's a few places I want to see along the way as well.

I 40 west is a good plan, HOWEVER, I would not take it through New Mexico and Arizona in January. Way too much risk of snowstorms and cold. I'd drop down to either I 20 or I 10 in Texas. You have to go that far south to get to Quartzsite anyway because it is on I 10.

Every year is different but the southeast can be surprisingly cold. The last time I drove home from seeing my mom in Florida it snowed in Atlanta when I drove through it on January 1. The overnight lows were in the teens all the away across the country (even in Abilene Texas) till I hit New Mexico and Arizona. Usually a like to go slow and boondock in National Forests along the way but that trip I put in 600 miles or more every day to get out of the cold.
Bob

I'll be winding my way in that direction starting next month. Going to start getting cold here in New Hampshire and I have seen enough of that.

Even I-10 can be frozen in January. I took that route in 1984 in the Navy, driving out to and from a Navy tech school in Mare Island, Cal. Nice weather in Florida, the frostline dropped down to Mexico in west Texas and Aridzona, then I was in a t-shirt driving in SoCal! Weird. My '75 Firebird wanted to slip&slide on the ice if I got over 15MPH. Longest drive of my life, and all night long! Sheesh.... :-(

So I've worked up a tentative schedule for the RTR. I only put in the classes of you folks who sounded very sure that you were coming.

We can add any others as you firm up your schedules.

RTR-Schedule.jpg

Wow! I see lots of interesting seminars I'll enjoy. No problem getting there by the 10th even if I do hit bad weather. Look forward to it.

Bob, Looking at that calendar, I'm feeling more than ready to hit the road again!

What would you think about a seminar focused on "Living Large in a Small Space"? I'm thinking it could be similar in format to the Gadgets Seminar where folks bring their ideas and experience to share with the larger group. As vehicle dwellers we've all needed to conserve space by using items that serve multiple purposes, converting from paper/pencil to electronic apps, acquiring smaller/fewer kitchen utensils or bathroom items, etc. Also folks could share how they started to think differently upon moving into their vehicle regarding bathing, cooking, refrigeration, staying cool, keeping warm, etc ... and how that new thinking and way of being, in turn, reduced their need for stuff and, perhaps, took them to new places, with unexpected experiences and expanded horizons.

If you think it's a good idea and want to schedule, I'd be happy to facilitate, or happy to have someone else take the lead. I recognize too that there's some crossover here with the Gadgets and Cooking Seminars.

Take care, Suanne

Speaking of cold weather and not to disappoint anyone who's not experienced a southern Arizona winter, but Quartzsite in January can be pretty cool. It was nice this year, but prior years have been chilly. Nothing like back east or in the northern plains States though. Just saying.

Suanne, that's a great idea, let's plan on it! How is Monday, Jan 19th?

freenez2, thanks for the reminder! Yes, the desert can be very cold! For all the information you need on the RTR go to this page:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/

Here is what I say about the weather:

Q. What will the weather be like?

A. Generally it’s pretty nice with daytime highs in the 70s and overnight lows in the high 30s or 40s. However, a winter storm can blow through at any time and the weather can turn cold and nasty with very high winds and even rain. So come prepared for cold weather with warm clothes, sleeping bags and heaters.

Bob

first week of jan 2012 I spent one night in big bend national park with 2 inches of snow on the ground and night time low of about 28. next day on the way to quartzsite temps were around 75. spent the next night in a rest area just east of deming new mexico and got up the next morning with a temp of 12. next day when I arived in quartzsite it was around 80. so those that have never ben to the desert in winter this is an example of what to expect

Hi all,

I had intended to come last year, but it didn't happen. Last October I ran into a guy and his wife at the local Denny's here in Roswell, and they were headed to Quartzite. We talked for maybe 5 minutes, and he told me where they set up on Kuhn (spelling???) Street as sunglass vendors, and i resolved I would go to RTR and check out these new friends, too. so THIS year, I am feeling like I am going to die if I have to work another year, and I am wanting to make it to the RTR more than ever. (been on the facebook page for vandwellers, lurking here, too) Hate to sound like I am whining cuz I know y'all are walking the walk, but hey, keep me in the light :) and see you in January...

PJ

Wow! That looks like quite a food truck there! Wish you were there at last year's RTR so I wouldn't have needed to constantly drive into town for food, haha!

Mr.LooRead said:
Any chance I can bring my food truck to the RTR?

chef-ches-argentine-cuisine.gif

Personally, I think it would be nice to have a food truck (or rolling cafe) to visit.

For those of you who have never been to RTR in Quartsite, it's actually a bit of a slow drive from the campsite to town. There is a long-ish gravel road off the main streets to get to the campsite. Because of the dirt/gravel road, there are parts where you would be best advised to drive no faster than say 5 to 10 MPH because it's so darn bumpy. Even though it's a relatively short distance (in miles) from the campsite into Quartzsite town, it literally took me around 25 minutes each way to go back and forth. Plus at night time it's completely pitch black in darkness where the campsite area is located, and the gravel roads have no lights whatsoever, so that makes driving even slower. What I'm trying to say is that a food truck located at the campsite would be very convenient to help avoid the back and forth driving into town.