Daring? Or just naive...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunroof/moon roofs are reported to be problematic in vans, eventually leaking. Many here have done the fansastic fan or Maxx Air installs in their roofs without issue, but rain can still be an issue.

I use a mushroom vent on my roof and use 2 counter rotating variable speed computer fans to exhaust air, but these can only move ~150CFM max But there is no worries about rain. The fantastik fans can move something like 800CFM on high speed, and require a 14 inch square cutout.

Sometimes I think a lower profile vent like used on boats and with a few computer fans on a removable shroud, inside of it, would work pretty well and not stick up as far:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290149|2290150&id=548834

hard to beat a fantastik fan though.

Heres something similar to my roof vent:
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290139|2290144&id=1193043

I wound up ripping out the electric motor and battery guts and just using 120MM computer fans attached to a step down ring, 4.75 to 4.0" for 10x the airflow. But redoing it today i would use a larger mushroom vent and larger fan.

http://search.defender.com/?expression=vetus+mushroom+vent&x=0&y=0

Proper ventilation is in my opinion, pretty important to living comfortably in a van. I like being able to control the speed/noise, and amp draw of my many computer fans. I have 3 intaks fans in a conversion van slider window, but it seriously has to be HOT for me to turn on all three at top speed. the roof exhaust fans are often cranked upto the maximum. Their white noise also helps me sleep thought loud environments, I often crank up a fan just to drown out other noises, not even for the airflow factor.

I have two Fantastic powered vents in my 20 year old Casita; they have never leaked a drop. When I did my Peterbilt motorhome conversion I put three of them down the centerline of the 16' dry van box (the living quarters) and they too have not leaked in five years.

Ventilation is as important, I think, as insulation. You can never move "too much" air!

SternWake said:
Sunroof/moon roofs are reported to be problematic in vans, eventually leaking.  Many here have done the fansastic fan or Maxx Air installs in their roofs without issue, but rain can still be an issue. ... Proper ventilation is in my opinion, pretty important to living comfortably in a van.
speedhighway46 said:
Ventilation is as important, I think, as insulation. You can never move "too much" air!

Thank you both. Those panorama moonroof windows (and the DIY Lexan counterparts) seem dreamy to me. Even with the risk of leaks, color me smitten :)

akrvbob USA said:
When you leave your apartment, you are welcome to drive straight out to my camp near Flagstaff, AZ, and we'll figure all this stuff out together. You won't be the first person, or the last, to do that. 
Bob

Thanks again for this invitation, Bob. When's the best time to drop by between now and RTR? And, of course, how do I find your camp? LOL :)

Richard, just wanted to put it out there that if you need a sitter for Bagel, and I'm nearby, I'd be happy to.

Richard literally any time during the daytime. I can send you a map but it depends on when you will get here.  I've been in one spot helping a friend out and that is coming to an end. As soon as it does I'll move. So check with me before you drop by, I may have moved.
Bob

My current camp
MAP-COTTONWOOD-CAMP-LOWER-2.jpg

Richard said:
What do I do with my dog while I'm at a doctor office, getting a tooth pulled, or having a spell in the emergency room? Given that I'm traveling alone, there isn't another person who can watch over my pet if I should need a daytime appointment for medical reasons and I do have a few things that I need to take care of sooner rather than later (but that won't happen before launch).

Hi Richard,

Re: the pet -- one option is that before a non-emergency appointment, you could find a pet sitter.  The lady I use is a member of Pet Sitters Int'l -- www.petsit.com -- you can search by zip code for local PSI sitters, and see who has special training and offers sitting at their home.  There are probably other groups like that.

In an emergency, I would find a vet's office that has boarding.

Best to you.

ggwoman said:
Richard, just wanted to put it out there that if you need a sitter for Bagel, and I'm nearby, I'd be happy to.

Thank you, GG! :)

GreenTiger said:
Pet Sitters Int'l -- www.petsit.com -- you can search by zip code for local PSI sitters, and see who has special training and offers sitting at their home. ... In an emergency, I would find a vet's office that has boarding.

Great to learn of this, GreenTiger. Thanks! :)