Dangers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this case it isn't if the guy was flashing his gun or not, it's if the OP felt intimidate and I'd say he did.

Vonbrown said:
Later that afternoon a guy and two kids with fishing poles enters the perimeter of my camp and he tries to intimidate me by flashing his gun under his shirt, making sure I see it.

I have been following this thread for a while and I can't help but notice two things:  A) Pro-gun people immediately assume that said gun was merely present in a holster on the hip of said gun owner and that no overt actions were taken by the gun owner despite VonBrown stating that the gun was under his shirt. B) Other people immediately assume that said gun owner's intent was malicious and threatening. Neither case is obvious from VonBrown's original post or any followup responses. I also know that many people who definitely do not like guns will automatically interpret any presence of a gun as "someone flashed their gun at me," which is not always the case. I firmly believe that we will never get anywhere, as a society, if we all just keep making assumptions to reinforce our beliefs.

VonBrown, if you don't mind, could you please answer a few, insanely specific, questions as to said gun owner's behavior?

1) Would the gun have remained completely hidden in his shirt had he not taken some overt action such as intentionally pulling open his shirt in your direction? Or, was his shirt merely hanging open in such a manner that you were able to see the gun?

2) Did said gun owner, in fact, overtly grab his shirt and pull it open in your direction, thus ensuring that you saw the (otherwise hidden) gun?

3) Did said gun owner make eye contact while doing so?

4) Did said gun owner approach you, or did he merely cut through your camping area?

Without knowing these things, it is impossible for any of the rest of us to do anything but jump to conclusions.

The gun was under his shirt and was not visible until the guy lifted his shirt and intentionaly, specifically displayed it so I could see it.
I know what I saw. This guy wanted me to know that he had a gun, he was showing off, why? I don't need to know. His behavior said it all.

jimindenver said:
In this case it isn't if the guy was flashing his gun or not, it's if the OP felt intimidate and I'd say he did.

Jim, as you might guess from my user name, I am quite the liberal. However, I do not believe in the "My feelings are your facts" mentality. 

Now, if someone "feels" threatened or uncomfortable in some way, then they are definitely allowed to avoid that situation, regardless of whether their feelings were justified. However, to then tell others that said situations is, in fact, "dangerous," or that they were, in fact, "threatened" is going a step too far. Especially in a public forum where others will make conclusions that could then affect their own actions and then be deprived of opportunities... just because of one person's "feelings."

If someone feels uncomfortable then they should say that. If someone else took an overt action which resulted in said feelings, then they should list those actions and not summarize them down to "I was threatened." I know it sounds as if I am picking nits here. But these particular nits are really starting to affect a disproportionate amount of our public discourse, and not for the better. People on both sides of every discussion make assumptions, then make claims based on those assumptions, then start vilifying people based on those claims.... and then we never talk. Or, when we do, we talk right past each other.

I have removed myself from the situation.
I posted my experience as it happened.
I wanted the community to be aware of your surroundings, to be safe. It was a unpleasent experience.
The world is a beautiful place and it can be vicious.
I'm just sharing my unpleasant experience at a camping spot.

Again,
Be careful out there.

Thanks Vonbrown for your many posts. This just makes me glad I decieded to remote camp after having been to the lake once and seeing the site. Just too many people and bugs when I was there. Might be better when with a group as some have done after the RTR in years past.

You did nothing wrong Vonbrown. I'm happy to hear that there were no major injuries and you are no longer in that situation.

One thing I've learned in my time on this planet; where there are people, there is unpleasantness. Go where others are not.

Good luck and happier days

Thanks for sharing Vonbrown. I'm with Van-Tramp,  "Go where others are not."

no reason to beat a dead horse :)

once ya move on the incident is over and done. I always put crap like this out of my mind fast. Learn what ya can from it and ditch it. Don't waste time on crap like this...over is over...…...now to the future and enjoying your new spot and exploring all the good ya might fall upon!!

It's despicable how little responsibility so many people take for their dogs. I've seen before where people think it's actually okay for their dogs to attack other dogs. To be neurotic is one thing, but once you are cool with initiating violence toward random strangers, something psychotic is at work.

And while I think there is far too much hysteria toward brandishing, especially of course accidental branding, someone flashing a gun at someone who has done nothing to threaten or intimidate him is way out of line.

For either of those incidents, I would have very strongly considered calling authorities immediately.

In the case of the dog, it would be doing a big favor to the future people that dog is almost certain to attack. That kind of thing can't be allowed to go on and become routine.

Latest posts