Dangers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I might try to avoid any confrontation with someone intent on showing me his firearm, and might also just move to a different location.

Not because I didn’t have the right to be there, and equally so to not be bothered, but because my antennae would be spinning and telling me to RUN!

Survival includes knowing when to just walk, or drive, away.

QinReno said:
Sorry, I do not agree with this. The guy came by OP's camp and flashed his gun close enough to see it. That's invading someone else's business.

If you've never been to Fortuna Pond it is important to note that even when you're camping on the side of the pond, those that are  fishing move along the bank of the pond while fishing.

These are not like organized campsites where you  have a waterfront campsite. As a matter of fact, most of the area around the pond is 'fenced' off with stones and we set up our vehicles/campers behind the stones and then use the area between the stones and the waters' edge for our lawn chairs, campfires etc.

What I'm trying to get across is that at Fortuna Pond, there is NO exclusive use of an area of waterfront. It's like the ocean beaches, it belongs to everyone!

my 2 cents,

IMO the incident with the dog. should have been reported. I hope the dog didn't break your skin anywhere an if it did report it and get medical attention ASAP.

as far as the gun goes, as been reported AZ is a concealed/open carry state. if you are in AZ you better get use to it. in some areas almost everybody is armed weather you see the gun or not, there are a few places where you can't carry, federal buildings, bars, banks are a few. to me seeing a armed person doesn't bother me in the least, but I have grown up around armed people my whole life. however I understand it freaks some people out. don't confront someone carrying with anti-gun ideology, it's not a way to make friends if you know what I mean. highdesertranger

QinReno said:
Sorry, I do not agree with this. The guy came by OP's camp and flashed his gun close enough to see it. That's invading someone else's business.

I could agree with this IF it were his private property. But there is no ownership claim of public areas. The guy with the gun has just as much right to be there as the guy camping. And again, flashing a gun (removing from holster and display to another) is very different then openly carrying (secured in a holster and only seen by another).

highdesertranger said:
as far as the gun goes,  as been reported AZ is a concealed/open carry state.  if you are in AZ you better get use to it.  ....
however I understand it freaks some people out.
I live in Nevada, open carry is legal, concealed carry requires a permit. Everybody I know has a gun. I know 4 guys who walk into the local B&N store everyday either open or concealed carrying. Those guys are smart enough not to display their weapons openly in public, or to flash their existence at strangers. Having a gun is different from being stupid and having a gun.

VT, since you open carry a weapon on your belt, nobody is gonna mess with you.

To a well trained person seeing a gun just means you now know where to get one if you need it. A rock hammer in hand is more frightening than a holstered pistol.

Glad your doing better. I would still report animals that are not on a lease and out of the owners control otherwise it will be up to the coyotes.

It is what makes a nomad's life so much easier - we can always just move along to get rid of some of our problems :)

Vonbrown said:
I moved my camp, problem solved.
I've also moved my camp a few times due to neighbors being a**holes. However, I still think you left behind 2 serious problems that could affect others camping on Fortuna Pond. Incidents like these are good learning lessons.

1. I definitely would have called the Sheriff to report the dog, and assuming he did arrive, I would also have mentioned the whacko with the gun to him. Both of these issues need to be nipped before something worse happens to somebody else. You have the option to file a formal written complaint too.

2. As I have plans to visit that area this winter, I looked up FP on google maps and also watched a video of a guy driving around the pond. Clearly there is complete access to the water all the way around the pond, so there was no reason whatsoever for the gun whacko to come anywheres near you, except as you mentioned for intimidation reasons. 

3. I have a couple of these key fob cameras, so I plan to keep one in my pocket, in lieu of a gun.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nkw=key+fob+camera

4. Always have a Plan B.

QinReno, you have always been so sensible in other posts on this forum. I don't know what that last post was all about. I guess I'm a whacko too just because I exercise my 2A right to keep and bear.

highdesertranger said:
why is the guy with the gun automatically a wacko?  highdesertranger
There is nothing "automatic" here. If you guys think it's ok to just walk over to someone's camp, and flash your weapon at them, when they have a mile of open water front to go to, well ..... there is something wrong with this guy's head.

QinReno said:
There is nothing "automatic" here. If you guys think it's ok to just walk over to someone's camp, and flash your weapon at them, when they have a mile of open water front to go to, well ..... there is something wrong with this guy's head.
First, there isn't a mile of open waterfront - at FP it's wall to wall campers lined up wagon train style along the edge of the rocks that keep the vehicles back from the edge of the pond. If you have never been there it's difficult to imagine what it looks like.

ALL of the campers and day users who fish move along the edge of the pond while fishing including the Blue Herons and the Great Whites!... :)  who are just as likely to be walking along the edge of the pond as a human is.

There is NO waterfront camping where one has exclusive use of the area of the water edge directly in front of ones' campsite. Everyone shares the waters' edge!

After spending time at FP for each of the last 3 winters, it will remain one of my favorite spots in AZ.

Where oh where is the like button when I need it. VT and HDR are spot on!

Oh and calling anyone a wacko, whether a member of this forum or not is not part of the 'play nice' rules here!

A blog written off this forum has absolutely no direct bearing on the manner in which all of us are expected to behave HERE.

HERE there is a no tolerance rule in regards to name-calling. One can think and have sympathy for anything they want, what they type here is a different story!

Yeah, just for the fun of it, I did a simple search on the forum of the 5 or 6 typical words to describe the sort of individuals indicated here. The overall search revealed approx 1000 different threads with these descriptive words.

What I did learn from the experiences of the OP and the other woman cited is to keep my little key fob camera handy. I also learned not to hesitate when calling the Sheriff on those sorts of behavior, and then handing over the SD card with the evidence.

I got no sympathy for people or dogs abusing others. Turning the other way isn't going to help anyone except the perps.

Dog control/training, walking sticks, cameras, and guns are all tools. Knowing how to use them skillfully to control situations and prevent harm to ones self and others is the important lesson. Everyone that is worried about harm coming to them should be well versed in all of them. Dog control/training, self defense, gun safety, and recording and filing complaints for violations would probably be good areas to cover while traveling in caravans or touched on at the RTR. It seems to me more people are hurt accidentally due to ingorance when it comes to these disscussions than true intent. What was it you said HDR "Easy there Thunder." I am very glad Vonbrown had his walking stick and was able to protect himself from the dog.

Latest posts