DANGER in COTTONWOOD, AZ

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitewolf7

Reaction score
:( Last night we arrived at Bill Gray Rd., FR 761, in Coconino Forest. We were 3 miles in, and about 6 miles to Cottonwood, AZ. At about 10pm, a large group (I stopped counting at 30) of various  trucks blazed by. Their headnights disappeared into the night, so I wasn't particularly comcerned. Important to note the nearest camper was 1 mile away. At 1am, I woke to someone attempting to gain entry into my van. I heard the noise of tools, footsteps, and coughing. I grabbed my handy personal defense item, but didn't need to use it. Started the van and left. (And abandoned outside gear). I have camped in Cottonwood/Sedona numerous times, with this being my first scare. I would advise extreme caution camping in the area, especially in a small van. If they had gained entry, they would have felt the wrath of a solo woman on the road, and her 7-year old daughter.  ;)

damn, glad you are ok. what did you have to leave? did you notify Law Enforcement? highdesertranger

Damn. So sorry you had that scare!

That's horrible! Will you go back to get your stuff? Definitely alert the local PD. There may have been others before you and your information could help.

I have 2 cures for that, #1 is 26" holds 25 minishells, #2 38" holds 43 12ga minishells. Glad you're OK!

Glad you are alright and hope your daughter is not too traumatised. Makes me want to rethink my car/tent camping.

Thank you all. I was able to recover my gear this morning, with the help of a friend. My gear was undisturbed, they were probably disappointed there was nothing of value. I filed a report with Cononino F.S. law enforcement, I thought my location was more their niche than local p.d.. Thankfully my daughter slept thru it all, and was excited to hear about the giant mountain lion that came to visit. Ha. It won't slow us down, and I haven't had any regrets in our 5-year adventure!

I feel more secure sleeping in the minivan and using the tent to store bins and gear in. My stuff is so old, the thief would probably feel sorry for me and bring me newer replacement items, LOL.

Cool head, handled it well and did everything right. Good job! A lesson here, this could happen anywhere. This nomad was prepared and most likely had worked through her responses to this very thing ahead of time. Daughter should be proud.

One thing I should have posted in the "What do you carry in case of trouble thead" or what ever it's called. I can't find it but my wife works for the county & there was an incident so the Sheriffs Dept gave a talk & had an idea I thought was great. Keep a couple cans of wasp & hornet spray close at hand, 1 in the back & maybe one in the cab as it sprays 10-15' so you don't have to get inside the danger zone. If someone looks like they're going to attack spray them in the eyes & face & get away. I don't think but not 100% sure it won't do permanent harm but it works, is cheap & handy for wasp & hornets.

Ya'll be careful out there.Glad it didn't go any further than it did.

Maybe not a good idea

https://articles.extension.org/page...sp-spray-is-not-a-substitute-for-pepper-spray

"... Why wasp spray should not be used for defense
1. There's no research to suggest wasp spray would stop an attacker.
2. Using a pesticide in a manner other than according to labeled directions is a violation of federal law (the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act).
3. It is illegal (finable offense) for anyone to recommend a use other than the labeled use.
4. Personal liability is likely to be significant for a person who deliberately sprays another person with a pesticide.
5. Pesticides such as wasp spray have not been tested on humans. Direct human toxicity data comes from records of accidental exposures and suicide attempts.
6. Poison control records document an amazing number of people who have accidentally sprayed themselves or innocent bystanders when using aerosol cans. An emergency situation may exacerbate that reaction..."

All good practical points, and I appreciate the words of encouragement.

While Cammalu's post is correct, if you have a person coming at you and are in fear of your life, you are NOT going to be arrested for using bee spray on them.
Force Majure applies when lives are in danger.
Use of any communication device is legal (even a ham radio without a license) "stealing" someone elses boat, car, van, truck...breaking into a remote cabin, whatever. If lives are in danger, DO IT. Don't be a victim.

That 20 feet spray stream is NOT nice in the face and will at least delay most people.
Pretty damned good idea and available cheap in any store.

"I will spray you if you come closer" before letting it loose, pretty much covers anyone being assaulted from liability.

A road rage dispute between two big guys ended in prosecution because one of them hit the other with bear spray.
Witnesses saw a fair fight, with the loser choosing to spray the victor.
However, the EXACT same scenario between a woman in a minivan with children and a meth head type?? Not going to happen.
The key to it is, was your life in danger? The more logical that fact is to the LEO, the less chances of trouble.
(I'll take the court date in order not to drop a drunk with "lead spray" if possible, actually.)

In one post or article it says it's illegal to tell people to use wasp spray. I'll have to have the sheriffs dept all arrested for teaching this to county workers. I son't believe that & agree it's better that lead poisoning. But everyones an expert as usual. Even getting water sprayed hard in the eyes will maybe give you a chance out of a bad place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts