Cutting through drink holder on doghouse cover.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weight said:
It is unlawful to carry a propane bottle in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. There is a good reason for that rule.

OP is not using "those green propane bottles". He is planning on a 20 pound bottle on the floor in front of the passenger seat. 

This is dropping into semantics and terminology but I generally refer to the small handheld containers as 'bottles'...and the larger containers are 'cylinders' or 'tanks'. Thats how I refer to them...others obviously use the term 'bottle' for the 20 pounders....which is fine.

When you said "It is unlawful to carry a propane bottle in the passenger compartment of a vehicle."....I am 100% thinking you meant the 'little green bottles'.

Sorry for the confusion. 

I agree, an LP tank or cylinder should be disconnected and stowed in the cargo area during travel, but would be fine when the vehicle is stationary and screwed into the fitting....even better would be a hose that exits the passenger area and the tank can sit outside on a stand or a mount, in a milk crate, or on the ground...but obviously this is not always possible.

The danger while moving is that the valve might be left open, the hose could develop a leak, or the safety valve or regulator could vent LP in high temps or in a crash. This could ruin your entire day!

So yeah, if the vehicle is in motion, it would be much safer to unhook the 'tank' and secure it in the cargo area...trouble is, with a van that is your living space, where exactly would you consider the 'cargo area'?

Hmmm....time to build an enclosed box with an outside vent in the back somewhere!

MrNoodly said:
Most places it's illegal to live in a vehicle, so are we suddenly going to be sticklers for regulations?

The odds of a propane catastrophe are miniscule. Much lower than, say, a crippling traffic accident. Do you think those stacks of propane bottles (not to mention all the flammable aerosol products) in Walmart are a danger? Are the trucks hauling all those propane bottles blowing up all the time?

Hi. I never said the propane bottle a (5 or 10 lb) would be transported while in passenger area, only that is where it will be placed when being used and stationary.

ramblinbob

Weight said:
OP is not using "those green propane bottles". He is planning on a 20 pound bottle on the floor in front of the passenger seat. 1st,the risk is not minuscule. But I am sure the OP can dive out the door in an emergency.  2nd, why give a local or state lawman an excuse.  That is all I'm saying about a very dangerous proposed practice.
Mr Noodly. Had an RV before and always turned off propane at tank when filling up and always turned off single tanks at container itself not the appliance. I've been using propane indoors for business use the past 35 years or so. Illegal I guess and yet so many do it and I've never heard of an accident. And as stated before tank will only be there when in use.

ramblinbob