Cutting a BIG hole in the Van floor

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandpa pete

Reaction score
I recently watched a video with a " van tour " that had a shower pan cut into the van floor . The van was an early chevy .
Has anyone done this to a later Ford van ( 2001 ) or seen one with this modification .
I'm trying to get as much height as I can in my raised roof conversion van .

That sounds like a poor idea, to me. Why not get a shallow pan like a water heater tray with the hole in the side, attach a drain hose to the hole, and then just drill a hole in the floor that's just large enough for the hose?

It would be very van specific.  You would need to determine if the metal around the cutout could handle the weight.  You must not cut through any structural supports.  You will need to look at clearances and interference underneath.  You would probably need to add structure around the cutout.

IMO the added height would not be worth the effort.

-- Spiff

If you search "DIY van shower" on google, there are many ideas like TrainChaser above mentioned. Would be lot less headache than cutting a big hole in the floor.

grandpa pete said:
I recently watched a video with a " van tour " that had a shower pan cut into the van floor . The van was an early chevy .
Has anyone done this to a later Ford van ( 2001 ) or seen one with this modification .
I'm trying to get as much height as I can in my raised roof conversion van .

Cut a hole in the top as for a vent fan and make a bubble head room.

Boyntonstu said:
Cut a hole in the top as for a vent fan and make a bubble head room.
Great " out of the box thinking "....fairly simple with the fiberglass conversion van top I have .