Cut off switch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJRW

Reaction score
In my van conversion electrical system I have installed a DC to DC charger combo with MPPT controller, 1200 watt inverter, 2 12v AGM batteries, 12v fuse block. My question is: should I have a cut-off switch somewhere in there and if so, where?

Ideally there should be a switch and a fuse for each component and the battery bank. It gives you the safety and ability to shut down everything or individual components as needed. You should also have a way to disconnect the power coming down from the solar before you disconnect the charge controller from the battery.

I will address the fuse. Fuse protect wire. Must be a fuse at each positive battery terminal. Having a disconnect switch is not necessary, but very handy.

you need a way to disconnect the solar panels like Jim said and of course a fuse on everything. highdesertranger

I use my fuses as to disconnect my panels and house batteries and a circuit breaker to disconnect my vehicle battery from the house batteries (on the vehicle battery side; house side uses the ANL fuse).
Circuit breakers are more convenient (they act like a switch), fuses have less voltage drop and are almost failure proof.

Thanks, it didn't occur to me to use the circuit breaker as my cut-off switch. I already have one between my house/solar battery and everything else. I just need to put a cut-off between my solar panels and controller/charger.

I installed a breaker between the battery and all the rest of the 12v system. I ran a cable from the positive terminal of my battery, up to a breaker that I mounted near the head of my bed (because that was close to the batteries, out of the way, while still easily accessible) and then back down to the terminal block. Now, I can turn off all the 12V system using that one breaker. It is a kind that mounts on the wall by itself (not in a little breaker box) and has a big yellow switch that is easy to feel and switch but won't catch on anything.

LoveCareThinkDo said:
I installed a breaker between the battery and all the rest of the 12v system. I ran a cable from the positive terminal of my battery, up to a breaker that I mounted near the head of my bed (because that was close to the batteries, out of the way, while still easily accessible) and then back down to the terminal block. Now, I can turn off all the 12V system using that one breaker. It is a kind that mounts on the wall by itself (not in a little breaker box) and has a big yellow switch that is easy to feel and switch but won't catch on anything.
Could you share which breaker you bought for this please? :shy: