Curves are evil...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanLifeCrisis

Reaction score
So anyone who has built their conversion knows that nothing in a van is square.  Curved roof, curved walls, curved sanity :p   What I am wondering is, how pronounced is the differences in curves in the various models of van? 

Would the cabinet i made in my older model chevy work in a ford and be stable?  If its off, would be off enough to make it unusable (not fit) or just leave a bit of gap? Would it be a deal breaker for you if you were debating whether to use or even buy the cabinet?

I havent had access to a bunch of different models of vans, but maybe for some here who have, id like to hear your input.

I hear you on the curves. They are a major pain. One advice I'd give is *if possible* don't buy a Ford but opt for a Chevy or Dodge. I think they are all good vans and it mainly depends on how well the van was maintained. The thing with the Fords is that if you compare their interiors (cargo vans) to the Dodge or Chevy you will see their walls are much more difficult to work with. The Chevy and Dodge models have relatively flat spaces between the structural ribs, while the Fords take a completely different approach with more curves and uneven walls structurally speaking. So all other things being equal the Fords would be 3rd out of the three choices. Now, it is possible to get the work done, but from my experience with a 1999 Ford E150, it just takes longer with more "head scratching" moments.

As to the cabinets, I would opt to build my own and make them custom to your van to maximize space and design. Also, another thing I plan to do is use 3/8 Baltic Birch. Its thinner than 1/2 inch but is a very stiff wood and strong yet lightweight.

Thanks for your thoughts. Hmm i didnt know that about fords. Ill look into the birch, though all i have here nearby is lowes and the selection is a warped terrible mess.

I use pre-made house type furniture and just move it in. Works great.

Ive done that too, with my desk there was a little gap but that worked out actually, i slipped cords and a couple of things through it.

The newer Chevy Expres is very curved, I think the worst of all of them. Even the back door is curved. The roof is very curved and the top of the door follows the curve.

I bought a universal ladder for the door but the door is so curved both across the top and up and down that no way it could be mounted. Sent it back to Amazon. They have to be custom built for the Express and they are expensive.
Bob

There's a couple of curved ribs on the Savana that I was cursing. But then I figured I could just leave them buried under the edge of the bed frame by putting it higher enough that it just cleared the bad spot. Fortunately I'm short so it's not a case of me hitting my head on the ceiling... :D

I'm finding that the newer vans have way larger wheel wells that what we had in the earlier vans, particularly the Fords I had. I don't think it's my imagination that there's less useable wall space particularly down the passenger side than there used to be. I'm having to bring cabinets out over the step well to make room for things.

Im thinking about grabbing one of these to make my life easier. I also saw a guy use a bearing and a pencil to trace a vw wall for his templates, but the curve there is obviuosly less pronounced.

DazarGaidin said:
Im thinking about grabbing one of these to make my life easier.  I also saw a guy use a bearing and a pencil to trace a vw wall for his templates, but the curve there is obviuosly less pronounced.

For the one shot deal of doing the van this would work okay!

http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9327-Woo...2-4420846?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WQQK6WZCRNJ2V4SCKEC

The one you linked would be great if you were doing fancy woodwork all the time but it's a bit costly IMO for the few times you need it in a van

being a plumber I always have solder around. I use it for a curve template all the time. it's very flexible, especially if you can find some of the old 50/50 stuff because as the designation implies, it's 50% lead. But it's stiff enough to hold it's shape well. Then when I'm done I wind it back on the spool and use it on the next job. If you know any plumbers in your area maybe you can borrow some and won't be out any cash for something you'll not likely need again. Baling wire works too, but it's not as flexible for the gentle curves, and it's thinner so it's harder to transfer the line to the plywood.

Where were those things when I was remodeling my GMC motorhome!!!

That measuring tape thing interested me, but if you read the reviews there are a lot of them who say its too flexible and doesnt hold a shape. It seems to work well as a stiffer cloth measure/tape, but not for woodworking templates :\

When i looked for more info on that tool from the seller, turns out its cheaper on their main website. I think i will get it there. Not sure why they jack the price for amazon :(

I tried cardboard alone and while doable, it was a real pain with a lot of guesstimation. Tho if you took a ruler/stick and attach a pencil at 90 degree, you could use it to transfer bigger contours too i think.

I use cardboard or 1/8" plywood and a set of dividers(compass) to transfer the contour. highdesertranger

I've used rolls of kraft paper (the stuff grocery bags used to be made from) and 1 1/2" masking tape.
Holes cut in a few spots and taped over secure the pattern in place, then later to your material. Cut pattern to approximate shape, tape around the edges and/or use dividers or block of wood and fine point pencil or marker to mark a reference line an inch or two inward on the paper,
Stick the pattern on the panel to be cut and use the dividers or block to re-establish the cut line.
It is important that the paper has NO wrinkles that can alter the shape in moving the pattern.

The ideal material for patterns is a plastic sheet used by granite counter shops as it is stiff and holds tape and pencil marks very well. It can be duct taped together and reused too.

They have to pay Amazon to list/sell there. Many folks mark it up by that amount...

Hey, and Curves are not always evil, especially on a woman.

akrvbob said:
The newer Chevy Expres is very curved, I think the worst of all of them. Even the back door is curved. The roof is very curved and the top of the door follows the curve.

I bought a universal ladder for the door but the door is so curved both across the top and up and down that no way it could be mounted. Sent it back to Amazon. They have to be custom built for the Express and they are expensive.
Bob
Hey Bob question. Which ladder are you talking about? ?? Can u please share a link? ? Will it fit high tops??? Thanks! !!

The ladder for the back door on a standard height Chevy Express. All the ones I found that specify they will work on the Express are over $200. It's not worth that to me so I just carry a step ladder.
Bob

Stiff automotive wire works well for for tracing contours and curves and will hold it's shape to transfer to a pattern.