Curry

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captndiet

Reaction score
I am 64, a bachelor and only cook for myself.

I have what is needed to cook most anything on the road or at my S&B as needed.

I can eat most anything, but tend to lean more to meat over veggies and watch the carbs.

I see an awful lot of recipes concerning 'Curry This and Curry That'.

I have never eaten it, used it or cooked with it.

Soooo...what brand or type do I buy ?

And what is a simple starter recipe ? ( in case I hate it and need to throw it away)

Thanks for the input !

Jeff

Head to the grocery store. Look in the section with foods from other cultures. You will find some single serving foil pouches of ready to eat curry dishes. Some are from the India region cultures others are from Thailand. You typically serve it over rice. That is an easy way to try out some curry dishes. Of course Indian and Thai restaurants are an even better place to try some curry dishes. Fresh is always better!

As to buying spices, in the grocery store spice aisle there are bottles of golden curry powder. It is generally very good.

As to recipes you do not have to have one. Put some chicken or beef or even fish, onions, bell pepper, raw tomato, mushrooms, green peas, or even potato chunks,etc. Sauté those. Then add some plain yogurt or cream or coconut milk plus the curry powder and if you wish extra salt. Put over rice or noodles.

You can play around with the ingredients. My friend was lactose intolerant. I used to make a chicken and fruits curry using coconut milk. That got rave reviews from everyone who tried it. Not all countries that make curries use dairy because of hereditary lactose intolerance or cultural rules. You can also make all veggie curries. I consider it one of those throw what you have on hand into the skillet and spice it up meals.