Crimper + Instructions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I picked up a hydraulic crimper on Cyber Monday special for $40 and it was just delivered. I haven't used it yet, but the instructions had me laughing...

[img=300x300]http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/...ads/IMG_20161204_182153_zpsonch5g2o.jpg[/img]
IMG_20161204_182203_zpsxqgem5b2.jpg

My favorite lines: The Step 2 is by analogy with Step one. 
Don't disassemble at discretion.

Is that the 16 ton? I had order the 10 or 12 ton for under 30 bucks and they sent me a monster.

BradKW said:
One of the drawbacks to these foreign crimpers is that labeled die size has no relation to...well, anything. Having never crimped a battery cable, any advice on how to choose a die, or know when it's "crimped enough" versus "damn, overdid it" ?

I have some extra terminals and wire to play around with...

edit: yep, the 16 ton... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GXQ2E5E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

what type of connectors do you use the tool with?  I'm familiar with Anderson powerpoles are there any other?
I ran into some nice connectors that you solder called xt60.
When it comes to battery cable lugs i have a block of metal that i sit on a concrete driveway or floor , i then hold the battery cable into the hole of the lug and then sit both combined on top of the block of metal , i then smash it with a hammer for a solid connection wrapped with heat shrink.

Larry48 said:
what type of connectors do you use the tool with?  I'm familiar with Anderson powerpoles are there any other?
I ran into some nice connectors that you solder called xt60.
When it comes to battery cable lugs i have a block of metal that i sit on a concrete driveway or floor , i then hold the battery cable into the hole of the lug and then sit both combined on top of the block of metal , i then smash it with a hammer for a solid connection wrapped with heat shrink.

[img=300x300]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61xSRZZnlHL._SL1500_.jpg[/img]

Ancor Marine Grade Heavy-duty Lugs

There are inexpensive crimpers that operate like you describe, basically a hammer. I got the hydraulic one for three reasons:
1) I spent too much time reading Marine forums with very picky crimper people posting,
2) $40 seemed reasonable
3) I have a bunch of 1 awg needing crimped, so figure I'll go ahead and make my own battery cables too...

1/0 is a 50 per a standard lug. I had to bring 1/0 pin lugs down in steps starting with a 95.

You need 1 AWG or 1/0? I got a bag of lugs that were suppose to be 1/0 and there ain't no way. The pin lugs are the same was except I can run a 7/16 bit down those on the drill press. I have 50, drilled 4 and have used two so far. The pin fits the controller oh so nice. :)

The "very picky crimper people" got into my head as well! I'm hesitant to buy any more tools that I might only use once though. I have extra lugs and can bodge a few figuring out a good DIY method and hopefully they'll never find out ;) . It's just like committing a thought-crime.

Brad like me has a lot of heavy duty connections to make. Having the tool to be able to custom make the cables on site is just wonderful and save a lot of cash over getting them made.

jimindenver said:
Brad like me has a lot of heavy duty connections to make. Having the tool to be able to custom make the cables on site is just wonderful and save a lot of cash over getting them made.

Plus you get to rotate the lug exactly like you want it so you don't have to twist the cable when you go to install it. :)

I have a 8 ton.  It works great.  I wish it had one of those cool instruction sheets.  :D

You quickly find out how to use your eyes to pick the proper dies.  It beats having to use a hammer, and cables can be cut to fit and the end clamped on it when it is already run. 

Just experiment.  I buy copper ends where I can look at them.  The surplus store in Q had them at a great price last year.

BradKW said:
I picked up a hydraulic crimper on Cyber Monday special for $40 and it was just delivered. I haven't used it yet, but the instructions had me laughing...

[img=300x300]http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/...ads/IMG_20161204_182153_zpsonch5g2o.jpg[/img]
IMG_20161204_182203_zpsxqgem5b2.jpg

My favorite lines: The Step 2 is by analogy with Step one. 
Don't disassemble at discretion.

I'm a few weeks away from needing to install my electrical.  I'm trying to learn about these things.  I plan on using as big a wire as possible for battery and other connections. 

In the description on amazon for this particular tool is says: 

"[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]11 sets of different size hexagon dies with chrome finish - Long comfortable ergonomic cushioned handle make it easy to hold and use (13 1/2") - Crimps AWG 6 to 600 MCM size aluminum and copper wire"[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I was thinking that the AWG 6  size is not big enough for the battery connections.  I was planning on 1 or 2 gauge between my 4 batteries and 4 gauge elsewhere in non-end-circuit runs.  The controller and inverter I'm thinking of can take 4 gauge.[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Also, I'm confused about the difference between AWG and Gauge.  In looking on line about this I'm still rather befuddled.[/font]
Thanks!

I believe that 6awg is the smallest diameter wire it can crimp, 4 awg is larger, but you probably are thinking of 4/0 (or 4 aught) which is the largest

Atleastallthewordsarenotallruntogether...

From; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge "The AWG tables are for a single, solid, round conductor. The AWG of a stranded wire is determined by the cross-sectional area of the equivalent solid conductor. Because there are also small gaps between the strands, a stranded wire will always have a slightly larger overall diameter than a solid wire with the same AWG."
This is why wire from Home Depot is larger than marine or automotive wire. The strands are larger diameter.

Thanks for the replies and the chart.  So, when people write recommendations of 2 gauge wire for connecting between batteries are they generally saying 2/0 or 2?  In other words is 2/0 way to far overkill?

Also, The Amazon crimper that [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Crimps AWG 6 to 600 MCM size...what is MCM?  It's not on the chart suggested above.[/font]

Latest posts