Craigslist Find

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veedub3

Reaction score
Browsing the interwebs this morning and I came across a craigslist ad for a group of camping items for $30. Called the guy and within minutes I was on my way. 

Here is a picture of the listing.

fmJaB98.png

(Two person Tent, sleeping bag, Coleman two burner stove, rocket stove, cooktop toaster, jerry can, & pots and pans - for $30) 

When I arrived he started given me items, and dropped the price to $20 for all of it. He included, a 2nd tent, a ground tarp to layout around your camp, a Coleman cooler, 4 fordable camp chairs, two camp tables, a picnic basket, a folding cot, I even got a piece of granite, and a portable pet carrier. Didn't need those for my van build, but I did need them.

Here is a close-up of the camp stove. New old stock, never been used.

r1advlG.png

The tiny research I have done on this unit says it has to be used with white fuel, whatever that is. I guess I have some more googling to do. Anyone use this type of cook-top before? How is it compared to the propane cook-tops?

Kat

Wow great score.

Unleaded gasoline will do, but dangerous, be careful

John61CT said:
Wow great score.

Unleaded gasoline will do, but dangerous, be careful

Dangerous and scary! I found a product a t Walmart called "Camp Fuel", but it still scares me a tad. I also found a part to convert it to propane on Amazon so I think I am going to go that route. A little less scary to me.

Kat

gsfish said:
Awesome score! There is a special fuel for these stoves at the Walmart (expensive) but people also use regular, I would try 100% gas with no ethanol.

I scored on Craig's List today too. A friend is trying to sell me a boat that is missing the engine and transmission. I've been looking and haven't found anything for less than $2K until today when I saw one listed for $400!!!! When I called he still had it and said he just needed it gone and was just getting ready to lower the price to $300 (what a salesman). When I went to look it was sold at first sight. Perfect set up. 230HP Merc with Velvet drive trans with reduction gear.  Now to check out that boat.

00L0L_apm5lkaVw83_600x450.jpg

Guy

Now that's an awesome score!! Don't you just love it when they lower the price without you even asking?

My mom had one of those stoves in her camping supplies when I was a kid. They're fairly simple to use once you get past the learning curve. Just get a metal funnel to make pouring the fuel easier.

Keep the little gasket lubricated too.

Plenty of howto's out there.

Awesome deal!

White gas == coleman fuel. Walmart is selling their own brand in some locales at about 30% off. Plenty of YT vids on how to fuel and operate the pressure stoves. I love the sound they make.

Unleaded makes nasty[er] fumes and also gunks up the fuel vaporizer ("generator") quicker.

frater secessus said:
Awesome deal!

White gas == coleman fuel.  Walmart is selling their own brand in some locales at about 30% off.  Plenty of YT vids on how to fuel and operate the pressure stoves.  I love the sound they make.

Unleaded makes nasty[er] fumes and also gunks up the fuel vaporizer ("generator") quicker.

Thanks, I stumbled upon a Coleman Collectors Forum yesterday, and they educated me on the ins and outs of the stove. You are correct White gas = Camp Fuel, Walmart does sell a brand that is far cheaper than the Coleman Fuel, I picked some up yesterday.  I was told to never, never, never use gasoline in these, because it leaves a nasty taste and will give you one wicked headache. I did check out some Youtube videos and it seems that everyone has a different preference on how to use them, so I also tracked down a manual so I could read the instructions for myself. Seems pretty straight forward. I also came across a video where A guy removed the red tank altogether and used an attachment hooked to a propane canister instead. I picked up one of those parts up off Amazon on yesterday. Seems easier, plus I already have a single burner propane stove so no need to buy two different fuels all the time.

Kat

I wouldn't use any liquid fuel in a poorly ventilated space, except maybe pure alcohol in those tiny stoves.

Outdoors gasoline should be no problem with the old-school ones, many decades, and back when they used lead

Never use that type of stove inside.  The fumes are strong.  I grew up using that type of stove while camping.  I would probably convert it to propane if it's possible.  You will have much better control of the flame with propane.   
Great score, you got tons of great equipment for very little money.

John61CT said:
I wouldn't use any liquid fuel in a poorly ventilated space, except maybe pure alcohol in those tiny stoves.

Outdoors gasoline should be no problem with the old-school ones, many decades, and back when they used lead

I have no intention of using any stove inside the van. All my cooking will be done outside when set up at camp. 

I have been warned on several forums not to use these stoves indoors, but I am interested to learn the difference between the propane stoves that are in just about every RV, and these portable ones. They both use Propane, other than one using a quick connect, I am not seeing a difference, so I am lurking the internet to find out why it's okay in an RV, and not okay in a van. Wouldn't it pose the same hazards? Just curious is all of course. 

Kat

Helluva deal!

White gas Coleman stoves are classic...I used to have one me-own-self.

There is a learning curve, and a bit of maintenance involved, but it would be my preference to keep that thing stock and use it as is....

veedub3 said:
I have no intention of using any stove inside the van. All my cooking will be done outside when set up at camp. 

I have been warned on several forums not to use these stoves indoors, but I am interested to learn the difference between the propane stoves that are in just about every RV, and these portable ones. They both use Propane, other than one using a quick connect, I am not seeing a difference, so I am lurking the internet to find out why it's okay in an RV, and not okay in a van. Wouldn't it pose the same hazards? Just curious is all of course. 
The smaller the space the more dangerous.

I consider liquid fuels more dangerous than propane, but all types can kill you if you're not careful.

Many people do things every day that are very risky. Many are just ignorant of how to be safe(r). Some are just less averse to risk.

And many are also overly cautious IMO trying to eliminate all risks is not living life.

Educate yourself so you can wisely make your own choices.

ColdBrook said:
Never use that type of stove inside.  The fumes are strong.  I grew up using that type of stove while camping.

Not recommending running stoves indoors, but the fumes are greatly dimished (to propane-like levels) if startup and shutdown are done outdoors.  

You will have much better control of the flame with propane.

In my experience with both that hasn't been true.  I have Coleman stoves older than I am that can go from simmer to Space Shuttle blast-off very smoothly.

That was an awesome find. I have been on the look out for a camp chef, and I almost won on on eBay but was outbid at the last minute. Love the cast iron too. I picked up two small frying pans at a thrift store a few weeks back, but they have never been seasoned so I have to take care of that before I can use them.

Kat

I'd not use gas, I had such a stove and it said it could use it. Well it did and flared up so many times I junked it out after 1 week....I have met others who only will use "White Fuel"

There are a few problems with using unleaded, though I'd still do it in an emergency:

• fuel additives in gasoline
  • unleaded fouls the generator (fuel vaporization tube) faster, requiring more frequent replacement. 
  • ethanol in some unleaded degenerates seals in the stove.  There were some (blue!) coleman items for use with ethanol blends in the 80s, I think.  

frater secessus said:
Awesome deal!

White gas == coleman fuel.  Walmart is selling their own brand in some locales at about 30% off.  Plenty of YT vids on how to fuel and operate the pressure stoves.  I love the sound they make.

I love that sound too. Anytime I hear it it takes me back to my childhood camping trips.

The stove uses kerosene. This is all we used when I was a kid. Walmart might sell the fuel in 1 gallon cans. Before you try to light the right side burner you need to pump some pressure into the tank with that valve on the right of the tank. It turns left to unlock, then pump until you can't pump anymore and quickly lock the valve by turning it to the right. Turn the little brass hook on the left of the square box valve to allow fuel to flow, turn the know to light and put a match to the burner. Long stem lighters didn't exist when I was a kid, so we frequently had singed eyebrows burnt fingers. The fuel is smelly but fairly safe if used outdoors or with adequate ventilation. Propane is faster and cleaner, but the good old Coleman stove has cooked many meals. Great haul.

Red tank = coleman fuel (white gas)
Silver tank = dual fuel (coleman, unleaded)

Some of the multifuel sportsters (brown single burners) and skeletons come with a generator for kero.  I don't think Coleman has made a kero multiburner stove since the early 1950s.  

345.gif