Coyote Howls?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what the cheapest new fully self contained trailer costs now days. I once applied to camp host in one of those ritzy RV parks back east that had and enforced the no older than 10 years old rule. The maintenance supervisor had a 9 year old 18' camper he offered to sell me for $1,000 to pull with my 20 year old motorhome to allow me to meet the requirements. He also offered to buy it back at the end of the season! I didn't take the job cause I just didn't like the rule. I found a 2008 14' icamp elite fully self contained on "let go" for $2,400.

Does that $2,400 "2008 14' icamp elite" ad contain the verbiage
"This is an 08, it is almost new. Original owner in Denver purchased it in 10, and took to neighboring Cherry Creek Reservoir as soon as, and she traded it in for wellness factors in 12. "
If so, it may be a scam. The same verbiage appears on different sites with different locales and prices.

Something that is too nice for such a cheap price.

I don't know the price of new self contained unit but as part of rebuilding my 1971, 13' long travel trailer I put in some plumbing additions to comply with the self contained ruling. It never had a built in toilet in it and the original sink just drained right to the outside with no tank.

Perhaps I can add some light to how most rv parks operate. I winter in an rv park in Yuma Az. and have for years. I currently work for the parks owners in a small capacity. Most southern Az. parks are catering to snowbirds and have rates designed for them such as, daily, weekly, monthly, 6 in 6 out which means you can occupy the site for 6 mo. and leave your unit there for the other 6 mo. Annual rate which is paid in advance and allows you to stay 12 mo. if that is what you want. The annual rate in the park I'm in is $2995. That's $250 per mo. plus elec. This is pretty typical of southern Az. If you go to a more upscale park you will find much higher fees and more restrictions.The 10 yr rule is standard in every park I have ever stayed in. Rarely is it enforced other than the priceyer parks. It is there to allow parks the latitude to eyeball your rig and if it's obviously not being well kept or maintained they have a way to refuse you. As of today, the park I'm in has a 60's 13 ft trailer and a van towing a cargo trailer as full time residents. This is a 200 space park with a pool, laundry,rec hall, pickle ball court and ground games. The spaces are large and the park is quiet. In the smaller Az. towns rates are even less and the parks reflect that. They have less amenities and shopping is much farther away. The large towns parks are mostly resort style and quite expensive. North of Sierra Vista is a large park I stayed a week in 2018. Their annual rate was $1800 a year + elec. that's $150 a month. Really large lots and quiet. There are actually quite a few places like CH around southern Az. You just have to ferret them out.

Well, I'll take the contrarian viewpoint here (not hardly news).

I'll bet it has nothing to do with insurance, rather with big messes with poorly contained self-built RVs. I stayed at C.H.E. last winter, in the near-in area due to my van not being self-contained, close to the bathrooms and dumpsters. However, there were many RVs further in near the hills to the east.

Unless I am mistaken, C.H.W. has full hookups for RVs, but not C.H.E. So the RVs that were in the back at C.H.E. that did not have the best home-built full containment were likely making messes of some sort, probably tossing their grey water on the ground and peeing all over the creosote bushes. Such stuff builds up over the long term, so they probably decided enough is enough.

Also FWIW, I was a bit put off by the entire area. Very close to the border, and very isolated. The ICE facility north of Ajo is huge, and many ICE vehicles were continually running up and down the roads at high speeds. There were 6 armed muchachos, 4 sitting behind a concrete wall, when I drove through the checkpoint. Too much armament for my fragile puppy ego.

Thx to all of you for your input. I guess I forgot to subscribe to the thread! Coyote Howls East did say they now have an age requirement, as in, vehicle not older than... I think it was 15 years. And she said the changes were due to problems.

:( I was there Dec 2018.  Now I might not qualify my trailer is 72.  When I visited I drove my car and brought a tent.  A really cool thing about the Ajo Why area is the great bus service.  4 times a day a commuter bus comes to CHE .  You can ride to Ajo to shop, go to the wonderful library, whatever for 1.00 each way.  If you didn't have a toad car that is a great gas saver.  If you have medical needs one way to Phoenix or Tuscon is only 4 dollars.  

The problem might have been too many people abusing the waste water rules.  They were remodeling several of the rest rooms and many people were complaining they had further to walk.  The poor lady from the office was getting very exasperated in reminding the frequent flyer complainers that their unit must be self contained. Most of the restrooms have a nice blue boy dump station but I never once saw anyone use it and I was there a month.  

Super friendly place I loved it there.

- Does the 15 year limit have to do with your trailer or  your truck/van?

- Is the bus service year round or just during the season?

they do have a phone number, call them and ask for specifics, then please report back :)

If your rig is in good condition with no leaks I believe they would very likely make an exception to the 15 year rule... they just want to keep their option to turn away total trash campers, which is quite understandable...

My husband and I are going to stay for a week next January at the cabello loco ranch. I am a bit nervous about the road getting to it. We have a Toyota sienna. We really want to get a lot there and get a camper but we have no way of getting one there because we only have the van. Maybe someone would help us if we paid them. We would really like to purchase a travel trailer or fifth wheel but like I said we don't have a way to get it there. If it's meant to be it will happen.

Hi neighbor! LOL!!! My son has been watching after ours since we didn't get there over the winter. He winterized it for us. He and my daughter drive the road in quiet often and they have a Honda van and a Toyota Camry. My daughter had a flat on her cheap street tires mainly because she drives faster than she should, but a set Cooper AT light truck tires took care of that problem pretty much as she still managed to cut a side wall on pavement! probably sliding sideways. Jim the owner usually keeps the main road in in pretty good shape but heavy rains can cause temporary ruts and washouts. Just go slow and be careful. We bought our trailer new and had it delivered and set up as part of the deal. It really is a good idea to have the seller deliver and set it up and show you that everything works even if you have to offer to pay a little more upon delivery. I would check with Jim and locals to see if anything already there is for sale. Usually one or two trailers come up for sale every year and they are usually really good deals as the owners are usually just wanting to move back with family, closer to medical care or no longer can take the hot summers as the is limited power for cooling there in the summer. Hopefully we will be there next year for the winter. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

I am paying more than that in town, paved streets etc and was able to get a super cheap unit that is 36 years old. Stuff lasts a long time in southern AZ. No problems due to age of the unit, I just needed to fix the steps to get signed off by the park.
-crofter

There were lots of older parks that will sell you a trailer or mobile home cheap with the condition you don't move it in order to get the lot rent which was usually at least $300 a month plus utilities and other charges, usually leased by the year. Most parks last I checked around southern Arizona were close to $3,000 for a 6 month in/6 months out plus electric. Escapees park in Benson is $365 per month plus electric for members. Most of the other parks are $400 or more per month there. I think the parks in Ajo were a little cheaper but store prices for food and hardware are higher. The large inflow of Border Patrol officers has really affected prices!