Coyote Howls?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was on the phone with them recently and they said the annual rent is now $575 (ours is up mid January), which is still very reasonable. Each time we asked for mail forwarding, they were really quick (and we usually send them a check for the postage later) and always courteous on the phone. But I did notice the website being down for a while now, so it's possible that they have some money troubles... I hope they can resolve their issues, because right now I don't know of any cheaper alternative to get a valid residential address in AZ.

Coyote Howls is so close to BLM land and is primative camping but with water close by and everything is pretty old and didn't look very well maintained as far as buildings for restrooms and showers. You would really have to be a "Desert Rat" (people that just love being in the desert) to survive the summer heat there or have lots of solar to run a swamp box or AC. They do have a seperate full hookup RV park but it is small and very crowded across the road. Coyote Howls has been used by several as a place to winter in order to get the residency required rent reciept. With so much BLM land available and severe summer weather it has a hard time attracting any one other than true "Desert Rats" or people trying to get residency. I believe few forum members have stayed there year round or most of the year, I hope they respond, I think I saw some of their riggs there last winter when I drove through.

C-Cat said:
I was on the phone with them recently and they said the annual rent is now $575 (ours is up mid January), which is still very reasonable. Each time we asked for mail forwarding, they were really quick (and we usually send them a check for the postage later) and always courteous on the phone. But I did notice the website being down for a while now, so it's possible that they have some money troubles... I hope they can resolve their issues, because right now I don't know of any cheaper alternative to get a valid residential address in AZ.

I emailed them several months ago about the yearly fee and did not get a reply. If i use 5 gallons of water and throw away bag of trash a day, it would add to the operating cost. Also, across  the street they list an extra fee per day that your there. Something like 50 cent tax that they or the city charges.
I figure the folks at the front desk are hired hands and not the owners.

If its crowded across the street, you would think they would expand it some. Or build a section in the remote area that has some hookups

I recently called them to inquire about paying my annual dues and the price has been adjusted to $575, which is still good in my opinion. The website is still down, but they said it's being worked on. I plan to pay for another year to have that legal address (but we never stay there lol)...

I was wanting to know if there was any hidden fees if i stayed there year round. I'd stay in my trailer with the ac running on solar. I heard there is a library but have not heard of its hours.
Yea, i heard of the increase to 575  but unknown of any extra fees

popcorn2007 said:
I was wanting to know if there was any hidden fees if i stayed there year round. I'd stay in my trailer with the ac running on solar. I heard there is  a library but have not heard of its hours.
Yea, i heard of the increase to 575  but unknown of any extra fees

Based on my visit in 10/2017 

There is a "clubhouse" onsite.  I believe they have a "library".  The town of Ajo is about 10 miles away and has a few more amenities.  More stores and they may actually have a real library.  They have a plaza , common among towns such as Taos, NM.  

Also, I'd be surprised if there were any hidden fees.  They just don't seem like that kind of place. 

also, FWIW, the people that live there, and that live around there are extremely friendly.  

Hope this helps,

Regards, 

WP

Ajo does have a standard full size library. I've heard coyote had a library but i don't know of its hours. I've heard it is only a few hours a day. Is it right next to the office?
Coyote howls west fees are subject to a 6.05% transient tax and a 50cent per day rv tax. So, you might think they would charge some extra fees if stayed there year round to cover the water bill or trash fees.

I believe the way Arizona tax laws are that any stay over 30 days exempts it from that tax, at least that is the way it was explained to me where I was it was cheaper to stay a few days longer and not have to pay the tax!

We stayed at CH 3 or 4 times a few years back.Always enjoyed it.Sorry to hear they may be having financial problems.

Hmm... I know the OP requested removal, but these threads are still plenty informational. Right now I'm kinda in-between the idea of CH, or finding a super cheap piece of "non-buildable" acreage on which to park, and call a fixed address. (yeah, I know there's a lot of research and keeping my ducks in a row)
The latter would be even cheaper, in the long run, and though it might leave me "tied" to the property, not a big deal as I wouldn't want to spend much on it.

If/when I could make a little more scratch, something a bit more 'desirable' would be good, but I'm not really looking to build a house or anything.

bigskybob said:
We stayed at CH 3 or 4 times a few years back.Always enjoyed it.Sorry to hear they may be having financial problems.

Coyote Howls was born out off financial troubles...the previous RV park that was there failed so some people got the money together as a group to buy it and try to keep it alive.

their website is currently hijacked with malware....
they don't have an official Facebook page

Somehow it seems appropriate for people who want to be unplugged that you have to physically go there to get there :)
That you can't be connected to them via the internet...

there is contact info on the unofficial facebook page but don't use the link on that page...it is hijacked with malware

I have no idea if the rest of the information from that facebook page is accurate
Address
Coyote Howls West
103 W Kater Rd
Ajo, Arizona 85321

Phone (520) 387-5933

In case my last posting didn't stand out.......
Ajo does have a standard full size library. I've heard coyote had a library but i don't know of its hours. I've heard it is only a few hours a day. Is it right next to the office?

Coyote howls west  fees are subject to a 6.05% transient tax and a 50cent per day rv tax. So, you might think they would charge some extra fees if stayed there year round to cover the water bill or trash fees.

Frankly, i would think they would build up part of east side with electric hookups of some sort. Or expand the west side if they are saying it  is crowded

I have seen what has happened to RV and Trailer parks when they have wanted to or been required to upgrade the electrical lines that run to the various spaces. The whole place is dug up and everything from where the power lines come in has to be upgraded and replaced to meet current electrical codes. Because of that it will never be as easy as adding in a few new stanchions and breaker boxes. The cost is also very high because electrical work on commercial projects can only be done by someone who holds a valid commercial electrical license.

It only matters (outside of the required compliance with laws) what the owner(s) themselves can do or want to do or feel they need to do. Many times business owners get well meant advise about how they can increase their business. But the persons giving the advice don't ever seem to recognize that maybe they don't want to grow their business any larger. Perhaps it is just a symptom of the culture where the media and the "business experts" say that everything has to keep expanding; that small business simply must grow bigger and better and richer.

I would have thought that a forum such as Cheap RV Living would understand that just maybe Coyote Howls is OK the way it is and that it is providing a niche that has real value for quite a few people who can't abide or afford...bigger, better, richer.

cgs in general, we need some super cheapies out there and ones that offer decent bang for the buck being spent. need to keep some simple, cheap and as is cause like maki said it can't all be bigger, better, richer, cause that ALL comes with an increase in cost some can't handle. I so get that. Sometimes that 'little hole in the way' place is key for many and they don't want changes to be all about costs. Hole in the wall places have value definitely :)

Improvements and expansion cost big money. The rates would then increase to recoup the expense.
Then they would target the deep pockets crowd who don't appreciate sharing facilities with "undesirables".

East cg is a place between off the grid and on the grid. Slabs with assigned spots and amenities for a few dollars per day?

https://freecampsites.net/#!17695&query=sitedetails

"Coyote Howls East Campground consists of nearly 208 acres with 600 campsites. The sites are large, random in shape and placement. These are our "primitive camps". There are no hookups, so your trailer or RV needs to be self-contained. There are, however, restrooms, showers, dump stations, and water faucets scattered throughout the park. Propane is sold across the highway. All you need are solar panels or a generator to enjoy the beauty of the desert."

I was just thinking of a solar panel setup with a 12,000+ watt output. Someone could build a shack and kinda live in it and house the solar gizmos in it. Enough panel-energy output would generate revenue to pay off the panels and/or power the other rigs along the power line
Or rather, a small upgrade from the basic east section without paying the high cost for the west section

for 12,000 watts of solar you need a considerable amount of real estate. that's not a shack, it's a mansion. you do realize that is one hundred twenty 100 watt panels. highdesertranger