Coyote Howls?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there Pat! If you get there, let me know how it is. I'm looking for a place to kind of settle down for a bit. Also check out Caballo Loco Ranch in Three Points, which has the advantage of being much closer to Tucson.

The Dire Wolfess

I looked on line at their web site but no price info was posted. It appeared to be a pretty small park with some perminent/private spaces? In this area there are several plots of undeveloped land available. Looks like public utilities are difficult or impossible to get to and you would have to be totally off-grid. Even the full hook-up sites at the park only offer 12 hours of electricity provided by generator. If I am correct it is a several mile long dirt road through a few washes to get to the park and could be difficult if ever wet.

I could find no crowd sourced reviews on Caballo Loco Ranch. Free Campsites does not know of its existence.

Right, so you have to ask people who have been there.

Cost is $800/year. Many sites come with storage sheds. $200/mo to dry camp if not paying for the year. I don't know what the hookup sites cost.

Completely off grid.

Water and dump available for boondockers. Yes, there is a partial electrical hookup 12 hrs/day for those who want that.

Showers/bathrooms available.

I think it would be a good alternative for someone who wants to be off grid, yet have some central services available. 20 min to South Tucson.

The Dire Wolfess

Thanks. Were you there when it rained? In other words what is the dirt road like?

my guess would be mud. LOL don't get hurt that was my attempt at humor. highdesertranger

I like mud, especially when someone says "Here's mud in your eye" ( old toast for you young ones) but a several foot wide water filled wash as it looked like there might be a few would just ruin my day. I have one here that occasionally causes me a 150 mile detour coming home from work, and I hate to miss dinner!

Be careful with those water filled ruts as one here can tell you. They can be deeper than you think and very expensive.

HDR, I would have said WET!

Chances are that any washes around the Tucs area would be sandy and not muddy. That part of the `Zona is lots of DG (decomposed granite).

We have an annual lot at Coyote Howls, but I've stayed there exactly one night for the whole year... we just needed a legal address, lol! ;)

I'm sure a lot of people do.  At their price I had thought of doing the same thing and just use it for storage as I usually get out that way a couple times a year. Did you have to do a vehicle inspection?

No vehicle inspection... they didn't seem to care about my vehicle at all. But I think they may have rules for storing stuff though (they probably don't want some rusting heap of trash being parked there with no-one around...) ;)

Yes, and I think they don't really want unoccupied RVs sitting around, but hey, I could be wrong... just call them and ask, they were always friendly and helpful over the phone!

Any updates on coyote howls?
      -Their website seems to be down and i did a search on them and i noticed several bad reviews on them lately. It sounded like the front deck folks were begging for money and the place was for folks that had no where else to go.
How many folks live there year round?
    -I would get a 2,000 watt solar setup and run the a/c in the summer. Is there a comunity center onsite  that open in the summer months?

Oh, what is the yearly cost to live there 365? I read that they charge a daily fee plus the $550 yearly fee