Cottonwood AZ

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost There

Reaction score
Two of us are headed for Cottonwood tomorrow.

Lake Havasu weather reports show it's going up in to the 90s the next few days and it's finally warmed up in to the mid 40's at night at  Cottonwood.

Not sure yet whether we'll end up south of town across from Thousand Trails Rd or up on 89B or maybe even 525.... :D 

If there's anyone already there, speak up.

If not, once we get settled tomorrow, I'll post our whereabouts and those that are on the way are welcome to find us.

I'm looking to head that way next week. It's in the 90's here and my poor little air conditioner is looking at me like I DIDN'T SIGN UP FOR THIS CHIT MAN!

I'm going to head that way in a couple of days. It would be great to see other friendly faces.

I am at Thousand Trails and it is crowded! We hit 90 today here. Nice cool breezes tonight though. Also, just an FYI I heard today that 89B was closed. Don't know if it's true.

srockwell said:
I am at Thousand Trails and it is crowded! We hit 90 today here. Nice cool breezes tonight though. Also, just an FYI I heard today that 89B was closed. Don't know if it's true.

We're parked for the night at the entrance to Thousand Trails Road.

89B isn't entirely closed. I went up there today looking to see what is open and the first area of campsites past the trailhead parking lot has had 2/3rds of the campsites closed off.

A spot across from Thousand Trails road where I camped last year is also marked 'no camping' although they hadn't barricaded it off and someone was in there.

We were too tired (should have split the move from Lake Havasu in to 2 days) to go hunting by 5:30 so we just parked our butts here. Tomorrow we'll see if the car can get anywhere nice across the highway and up the little hill.

It seems that spring break has hit here with a vengeance and with some sites being closed off, it gets even tighter.

Well, we did a bit of exploration this morning and I talked to a Ranger.

The picture isn't a pretty one I'm afraid.

There's new signage up all over the place about 14 day stays and the ranger spent about 2 hours this morning going door to door at the area off of Thousand Trails Dr.  A half dozen RVs left within a couple of hours! Now the areas are only crowded not overcrowded... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We managed to snag a single campsite that's right at the corner of Thousand Trails and the forest service road. It's not the greatest site in the world but at least we're not crowded in amongst a large number of big RVs. We sat at the corner and waited for people to leave this morning... :) :)

Spring break is in full swing - a lot of the RVs down the road are sporting more kiddies toys and bikes than you can shake a stick at.

Another friend is way up 525 and had to take a rather dismal campsite as well because there was nothing else available.

Anybody coming in be forwarned - it's going to be hit or miss as to whether you can find a decent campsite or whether you have to bunk in tight like we did at the RTR.

We'll be going exploring more over the next few days - will keep you posted.

Thanks for the info Beth. Keep us posted, as I am sure you will. I am in Parker right now..

I may have to hang out down here a few more days waiting for mail, maybe sping break will be over by then.

We will try to find you in the morning. We had a few people leave and a couple of new folks show up.

Ha, first thing this morning the nice big site across the road from us came open...not open any more!

Now Marilyn won't send me 'Bless you' texts when I sneeze inside the van with the doors closed at night.... :D :D :p

It's large enough that we can always make room for at least a couple more vehicles in with us.

And SRockwell is right, there seems to be more pulling out than arriving, so worst case scenario, someone gets to park with the big rigs or at the highway entrance parking until something better comes along.

I am picking up mail in Quartzsite. So what is a good alternative to Cottonwood? Prescott NF? Around Payson? South east Arizona?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Looks like five more days of spring break there. That's like forever. lol

So how's it looking at Cottonwood? Any sites around? Leaving Buckeye tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You might want to check out some sites near Camp Verde on your way up Tom...it's still pretty crowded here.

Don't get me wrong, there's places to park here but you're definitely within hollerin' distance of your neighbors...not close enough to hear them snore but too close for most of us unless we already are friends. Or take it that you will be by the time you leave :)

I definitely don't like close neighbors. I will explore on my way up. May even end up in Williams or Winslow.

Made it to Cottonwood. Found a nice quiet site on top of the hill. South of town. If anyone is interested pm me. Like to keep it quiet also. No rvs but vans are able to easily get in.

Attachments

• IMG_5382.JPG
    IMG_5382.JPG
    841.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5383.JPG
    IMG_5383.JPG
    748.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5384.JPG
    IMG_5384.JPG
    766 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5385.JPG
    IMG_5385.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 18
I just found a spot back in on 525c.  Is anyone still around?   So beautiful here.  I got here at 6pm and my spot is dubious.   Will look for a better one tomorrow. 
Steve A.