cots?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcofan

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a nice quality folding cot and putting a memoryfoam topper on it. My thinking is that it would allow me to quickly and easily stow the bed away if I need cargo area in the back. When in use, the cot can be secured with ratchet straps, and provide storage underneath. Any thoughts?

some are comfortable and some are not, you need to check it out and make sure it is wide enough for your shoulders to be comfortable, as in they do not touch the sides when you lay on your back

I found a couple cots that fold out to a standard twin or full size. I haven't had a chance to try any of them out for comfort and firmness.

short term I comfortably use a camping cot and thermarest (short term = about 3 weeks) but long term I think you will be happier with a firmer mattress &amp; bed. I really miss my old vanagon bed - it was comfortable whereas the cot/thermarest solution is tolerable. <br><br>I'm trying to design a "murphy bed" or a "fold out" mattress platform that is easily stowed within a van (trying not to give in to dedicating all that space for when I'm not sleeping).&nbsp;Whatever your bed solution is, it simply HAS to be comfortable. There is nothing that is more defeating than multiple nights of poor sleep in a row. <br>

<P>Thanks Bear, That's what I was wondering about. My main concern was the firmness and support. In the back of my head I had the idea of fashioning thin plywood slats that could be attatched to the cot while still allowing it to fold, if I felt the support was not sufficient. As far as long term camping goes, I'm not looking to be a full timer, just looking for options for travel with my rig. I also live about 35 miles from where I work, and in Ohio we see some pretty bad winter weather from time to time.&nbsp; I also look at my rig as giving me an option to stay in the vicinity of work when I know weather may be less than hospitable.</P>

Self inflating backpacker pad on the bottom. <br>Egg crate foam cut to fit; on the pad.<br>Roll up japanese futon; on the top.<br>All three can be rolled up and stored out of the way.<br>

If you're thinking about a cot...how about a plastic, folding table from Costco for $50.&nbsp; It's thin, so space saving. It's high off the ground, so plenty of space underneath and can double as a work desk while sitting in a regular chair w/o having to slouch down. Less headroom though when you're in bed. Supposed to hold 500 lbs yet very light &amp; folds into a small piece.&nbsp; I would get some nice memory foam for the mattress. <br>

I always use a hammock when camping. Minus the frame, the roll up small and are comfortable. I plan on using one in my vehicle when I find a vehicle large enough to hang one in.<div><br></div>

I'm going to look into the idea of the table. That's actually an excellent idea. Functional and multipurpose. I&nbsp;like it.<br><br>

Regarding cots I would check the website www.cotking.com<div><br></div><div>They have good prices and a variety of sizes. &nbsp;This is the place where disaster organizations get their cots from &nbsp;I slept not the mid-size military one once for two weeks using a Thermarest Luxury Camp pad. &nbsp;It was very cozy with the pad. &nbsp;But had its limits on comfort.</div><div><br></div><div>Like the previous post stated 3 weeks top as far as tolerability.&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Perhaps other sizes would be more comfortable for a longer use. &nbsp;Quality is top notch with these. &nbsp;I have seen similar in stores for a lot more money.</div><div><br></div><div>Hope this helps.</div>

<P>I've slept on a military cot for two weeks at a time, and they can be comfortable if padded properly, but the table would be useable for other things, always a plus when weight and space are a problem. The one problem you may run into with the table may be sliding off during the night if it isn't perfectly level, they're usually fairly slick, but I'm sure that's solveable.</P>

Latest posts