Cost to install new a/c on Dodge Caravan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deb_A

I saw an ad for a 2000 Dodge Caravan with 90,000 miles that is only $500, but it has no a/c. They say it runs, but list condition as fair. Haven't gotten an answer from the seller as to whether it never had a/c or if it was removed, or what, so I'm assuming it was removed and I will have to replace it. Haven't seen the van yet. It's 40 miles away, so I don't want to go see it until I can get a reply from the owner.

I heard it's not a good idea to buy a used a/c compressor, is that so? I thought maybe if I could find one from a later model van that would fit, it would be a lot cheaper. My thought is that if I bought a van that age with a working a/c, there is no telling how long it will run, so it may be wiser just to put a newer on in this van. Estimates I'm seeing to replace the compressor, including labor are about $800-1,000, but isn't there more than has to be replaced, like the dryer? I'd probably not argue with $1200 for a brand new a/c in it.

I'm not a mechanic, so hoping someone with experience can weigh in on an approximate cost. If this van really has only 90,000 miles, and is in good shape otherwise, do you think it would be worth replacing the a/c? I'm pretty sure I'll probably have to do other work on it too, but here in FL, the a/c is the most important thing.

it's not a good idea to put a used compressor in. yes other components must be changed. this is a job that should be done by a qualified shop that stands behind their work. without seeing the van it's impossible for us to say if it's worth it. highdesertranger

Fwiw, the initial price is tempting but Caravan reliability and ongoing maintenance repair costs could be mighty expensive. Transmissions on Dodges are infamous for example.
But at that price, dump at any major cost and start all over could work out if it lasts a year or two without major expenses. Could be worth it but you never know. Your call. Get a full inspection done on it prior.

When he says no AC, probably means doesn't work. Unlikely removed as too much trouble. Probably compressor needing replacement. On an older rig, which you don't know how long it will last, putting too much into new repairs could be a quick loss. So used or rebuilt way to go generally. Caravans aren't known for their reliability. You're looking at probably $1-2k in repairs up front, maybe more. You've got a good feel for costs so you're on the right track.

Or you could get lucky. But if it is in fair condition, would be reasonable to guess that if they didn't physically take care of it, what are the odds that it was well maintained? One man's fair is another's good, don't know till you see it.

Imho, think you would be better to try a find a cherry Toyota minivan for $3-4k and probably come out ahead long term. Less hassle, more reliable.
Best of luck.

Thanks. I'll probably pass on it. Talked to the owner, and she says it also needs brake work and an oil change. The odometer is at 92,892, so if the compressor is already gone, that isn't a good sign.

I'm going to keep looking. I don't want to put $3,000 into a van that is just going to be more trouble.

Sometimes, a $30 AC leak seal can will work. The heavy duty, leak seal only can (and not the combo can). Then add 1-2 cans of refrigerant ($16). Held the refrigerant for 2 years in my old car. 3rd/this year, had to add in an $8 can.

Not sure how many of these gluey, $30 leak seal cans I can put in before it gets all gummed up to hell. But the car is a 1998 and on its way out anyway and it blows cold enough to be livable on the East Coast. $500 for a van is pretty good if all it needed was AC and who knows what kind of brake job. Not sure if you can get a $1500 van w/o needing $2000+ in repairs.

GrayWhale said:
Sometimes, a $30 AC leak seal can will work. The heavy duty, leak seal only can (and not the combo can). Then add 1-2 cans of refrigerant ($16).   Held the refrigerant for 2 years  in my old car. 3rd/this year, had to add in an $8 can.
Hi GrayWhale, I have a Dodge Caravan that I just bought to get me through the next couple months while I figure out my van crash situation.

How easy is it to apply leak seal and cans of refrigerant?
This would be done by a 50/5 year old.  Fifty years old with 5 year old's mechanical ability. I could have my brother give me "adult supervision"
Thanks.
Paul
p.s. besides no cold air from AC, the "cool" fan air seems warm.  Lot warmer than any other car I've had when I just turn fan on cool without AC
Could there be something else going on?

a note on that leak seal for AC stuff, after you put it in if you ever want to fix your AC the right way it's going to cost you a lot more money. same with that radiator leak seal and you won't make any friends at the tire store if you put the tire repair in a can in your tire. what I am trying to say is it's usually cheaper to fix something the right way then to try to use "Mechanic in a can". highdesertranger