cost of insulating a cargo trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srockwell

Reaction score
I am hoping to get to the RTR this year. I am traveling with my son who I had hoped would be able to sleep in the trailer I am pulling. Unfortunately we may not be able to leave for three weeks yet. I just bought it and thought I might find some help getting it insulated when we get to a more temperate climate.   Does this sound reasonable to anyone? I got an estimate from someone here of approximately $1000 for insulating walls and the ceiling. That seems like a lot to me but I know little about these things.

thanks so much for any input,

Sonya

how big is the trailer? what were you planning on insulating it with? does the trailer already have plywood walls inside? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
how big is the trailer?  what were you planning on insulating it with?  does the trailer already have plywood walls inside?  highdesertranger

It is 6x12  I was thinking pink or blue foam board. I am open to suggestions. I even thought of using wool if I could find a local farm. It is a Interstate trailer with 3/8 inch plywood walls.

6x12xwhat? Length, width, height.

If it's 12' long x 6' wide x 6' high, the walls and ceiling would total about 284 sq ft. Polyiso comes in 4x8 sheets (32 sqft). 284 divided by 32 = 9 sheets of Polyiso, at $20 per sheet (1" thickness) = $180. If you want to put it on the floor, too, the total would be 12 sheets, or $240 (+tax).

Then you add whatever you want to cover the walls & ceiling with (284 sqft), plus whatever you want to put on the floor (72 sqft).

If you're hiring someone to do the work, make sure that the price includes the materials, AND the materials are what you want, or he will likely use the cheapest junk he can find. Get the materials and the total price in writing. And don't pay in advance except for materials.

TrainChaser said:
6x12xwhat?  Length, width, height.

If it's 12' long x 6' wide x 6' high, the walls and ceiling would total about 284 sq ft. Polyiso comes in 4x8 sheets (32 sqft).  284 divided by 32 = 9 sheets of Polyiso, at $20 per sheet (1" thickness) = $180.  If you want to put it on the floor, too, the total would be 12 sheets, or $240 (+tax).

Then you add whatever you want to cover the walls & ceiling with (284 sqft), plus whatever you want to put on the floor (72 sqft).

If you're hiring someone to do the work, make sure that the price includes the materials, AND the materials are what you want, or he will likely use the cheapest junk he can find.  Get the materials and the total price in writing.  And don't pay in advance except for materials.

It's a cargo trailer. it is 6 ft high. thank you for the information. I guess I was no clear in my question. I wondered if people might be for hire in the Quartzsite  area for this type of work and what the cost might be. I don't know if the estimate being given me is reasonable.

I am guessing, but if you bring your own materials I bet you could get it done at RTR. your cost would be nowhere near 1,000 bucks. anybody out there want to lend a hand. highdesertranger

It's a horrible price!! I'm certain that someone at the RTR will gladly help you to do it, maybe for free but for sure a whole lot less than that.
Bob

I'm doing just that- right now.. spent a shade under $200 for a 6x14.

I thought of using denim -similar to wool- but decided not to- due to a tendency to hold moisture. (MOLD!) Chose the usual rigid foam-board insulation because it is essentially water proof and has a built in radiant layer already on it.
AND it will not work it's way down into the lower part of the walls due to road vibration.. (some settling may occur during shipment- lol)

GypsyDogs said:
I'm doing just that- right now.. spent a shade under $200 for a 6x14.

I thought of using denim -similar to wool- but decided not to- due to a tendency to hold moisture.  (MOLD!)  Chose the usual rigid foam-board insulation because it is essentially water proof and has a built in radiant layer already on it.
AND it will not work it's way down into the lower part of the walls due to road vibration..  (some settling may occur during shipment- lol)

thank you! this is great feedback! I hope to see you all for the RTR. darn medical appts. grrrr

Look closely at your plywood to see how it's attached.  It used to be screws, which would allow you to unscrew the plywood, insulate, and easily reattach the plywood.  However, there has been a tendency lately for the factories to use some kind of power nailing gun, which makes the plywood almost impossible to remove without destroying it, and you end up having to remove a lot of nails from the studs before you can put new plywood on.  A lot of labor!

Of course, you could attach the insulation directly TO the plywood and have unfinished wall.  I beleive this is what bob did with his trailer, the pictures are here:

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/heat-cold/dealing-heat-cold/