Cost for propane refill

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea

Reaction score
Propane is $2.99 per lb at Loves Truck stop. Should I fill my new 11lb tank here or will I find a better price closer to BLM land in a small town? 

An exchange of a big 15 lb cylinder is cheaper at Wal-Mart but the 11 lb tank is what I have strapped on my rig.

I'd buy it as LP weighs 4.2# per gal so it's not going to cost much. I get my done at TSC or other farm stores as they are cheaper & sell only what you need.

It's probably $2.99 per GALLON, not pound. 

The cost difference is hardly worth worrying about, you might save a buck or two but you would be without propane for a long time till you can find it half a buck cheaper per gallon.

yeah that has got to be 2.99 a gallon, still a little on the high side but not to bad. right around 2 bucks a gallon is the typical price. highdesertranger

I bought a 7.5 gallon aluminum Worthington at the Yuma flea market for 40 bucks, dated 1972 no one would fill it drove 80 miles to a facility where the guy looked at it and re-certified it for 6 years told me he rarely sees these in such good condition. in my little camper it's as big as I want to go.

I use the 20 pound size. If I get filled at the dealer, it varies but mostly just under $1 per pound, with full 20 pounds in bottle. When I need to exchange I use walmart at $14.95 for 15 pounds in the bottle. It is nice to be able to exchange a bottle when needed. When paying by the gallon, you get differing amounts of energy depending on the temperature. A pound of propane is the same amount of energy each pound.

At the Flying J in Ehrenberg I just paid $3.20\gallon to fill a 20#. That was 2 days ago.

I like the 20lb bottles because they are about all I want to lift and many of the places had cheap prices if you bought at least 4 1/2 gallons at a time. I usually paid $2 or less per gallon this way otherwise it would have been $2.55 where I was at this winter in the Tucson area.

I can get a 100# in the Ambo in the outside door where the O2 bottle went & at home my propane guy fills it for $1.69 a GALLON so 40 cents a #. TSC will also or anyone that fill MH built in tanks.

I filled it at a gas station in or near Willcox AZ off of interstate 10. I paid $6-$8 for the 11lb tank fillup.