Propane Tank Refills

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The U-Haul is on the north side of Houston near Spring TX.

First off, the tank says right on it "TW" followed by a number, which is the tare weight or empty weight. You should use that number for your calculations as not every 40lb tank weighs the same empty. The "WC" stamp is the water capacity. I have a tank that reads WC in gallons, but it can also be in pounds, and either way can give you the volume, of which you can use 80%.

Caution for the next part: Liquid propane will instantly freeze your skin or with whatever it comes in contact. Be careful!

There is a valve gauge for 80% filled. If the propane technician doesn't use it, learn to use it yourself. The gauge, which is really a valve, can be the type you can turn with your finger or use a small flat head screwdriver to loosen until you hear the hissing vapor, then gently rock the tank, and if it's full, it should spit liquid propane intermittently with vapor. If it's all vapor, then the tank is not full. If it's all liquid, the tank is overfilled.

This was my portable tank, U-Haul refuses to use the 80% valve and wants to fill by weight and they cant even do that right. I will find somebody else to fill it next time.

We put in a fill station & you fill by weight & by it spitting out the screw hole that way you are sure you have it right. TSC is the cheapest & does it right & fair here.

I'm interested in how a RV with a mounted propane tank can get propane by weight?

I have a frame mounted tank and 40 lb portable. The frame mounted is filled by gallons and the portable can be filled either way.

Don't all scales used for commercial purposes need to be certified by the local weights and measures board? If you believe the U-Haul place has an inaccurate scale you should report that to the local board (the same people who certify gasoline pumps).

I won't be using them again, I found another place to fill it.