cops

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

templedog

Reaction score
What is the worst case scenario?  If a cop finds me sleeping in my cargo van in a baseball field parking lot. What is the technical citation? 

That would vary from city to city. In some cities there are laws forbiding it and you could be fined. However, I think that is very unlikely though. I've be rousted a few times and the cops were always proffessional and just asked me to move along. <br><br>Heres a strange idea, go to the local police station and ask the cop at the desk. Tell him you are going to be town for a few days on a job and can you park and sleep on your car on the street, would you be legal and safe? Can he offer a suggestion of where you could park/camp. His answer, and the attitude behind it will tell you a lot. Most cops are good people trying to protect and serve. I think if you walk in and ask nicely he will be glad to help. You've got nothing to loose. Bob <br><br>

.Trespassing, if he wanted to charge you with something. Most likely he'd tell you to move, if it were an issue.

There are no legal requirements for trespassing signs, BTW.

What Bob said.

ok.. should just ask. might get some tips to make it easier

I will ask a few quasi large city police departments.. and report back here, what they tell me.&nbsp;

I was roused last night in Granite City, Il. Being relatively new, it was my first time being awoken. Knew it was going to happen sooner or later. I was surprised at how relaxed I was during, which helped me stay respectful to the officer just doing his job. He made a few digs at my lifestyle, but ultimately left without incident. &nbsp;<div><br></div><div>From everything I have heard, if you dont give them a reason to cite you with your attitude, they usually just move ya on.&nbsp;</div>

When I get that middle of the night tap and a flashlight, I tell them I was to tired to continue driving safely and just need a safe place for a few hours sleep. Usually they even suggest local nearby locations. Just keep a good positive attitude. Anything less will just make matters worse.

I also received the tap on the glass yesterday. The officer was cool. I was cool. Same ol drivers license and run the plate. Said he had seen my van parked there since that morning and wanted to make sure I was ok. That was all. Didn't even ask me to move.

I wasn't roused. Night watchman just saw me coming out of my van. I was dressed for work, though even if it was night time. Introduced ourselves to each other. Told him I work at the building (true) and that I already talked to the management that I do work late nights there. No more incidents after that.<div>Van has become a permanent fixture here. It helps that there are other businesses in our area which are nearly 24 hours as well and there are always vehicles in our parking lot all hours of the night. The other businesses around us all have white vans also... perfect!&nbsp;</div><div>There are always lights in our offices so the stealth is complete. Of course, I haven't really slept anywhere else because I am always afraid I'd lose my privileged parking area... (I come to work later in the day... the spots are so few, there are only a handful for a vehicle this size... all other slots are for small cars)</div><div>And of course... there really is no reason to leave other than to buy groceries or to eat out with friends or family...&nbsp;</div>

I've never had any real issues with professional cops, if they care at all they usually just ask you to move on. I have had difficulty with private security. They can be belligerent and may not have the good sense or professionalism to avoid escalated conflicts. Never fun at 0-dark-thirty in the morning.

One thing I've found helpful for avoiding this situation is to avoid commercial property where rent-a-cops are employed. Park later at night on residential side streets and leave early to avoid the rush hour. If you can keep down the light and noise you'll go undetected by anyone who might bother you.

Police will probably be more thorough checking you out if you're parked in a residential area at night - a greater concern for public safety. Police are more likely to be called by nervous residents who know your vehicle doesn't belong in their neighborhood - and trust me, some people watch the area around their homes like hawks. The residents will assume the owners of the vehicle are up to no good, and call the police as a safety precaution.

I've never had this problem Seraphim, I don't know what the assumption is that residents are making but its result is not to call the police when I park on their block. &nbsp;Most of my travels have me situated somewhere in the western half of the US, maybe there's a difference in the kind of response to which people are inclined depending on geography?<div><br></div><div>Again, arrive late and leave early. &nbsp;More often than not you'll go completely unnoticed or worst case you're presence will be blamed on the weird neighbors. YMMV</div>

<P>Depends on the neighborhood, I suppose.</P>

My house is a small, middle class type home with a decent yard and about 30 feet way from the next house on both sides.&nbsp; If someone parks in front of my house, I'll know it right away.&nbsp; <br><br>If it's a passenger car or SUV, I wouldn't call the cops though because I would assume it's a guest of a neighbor.&nbsp; But a cargo van or conversion van, I'd at least take down the license plate number. Since frequenting these vandwelling forums, I'm more sensitive towards travelers and/or vandwellers just passing by and may be just taking a nap. But if the same van keeps coming back every night, I would start to get suspicious.<br><br>Many years ago, before I knew anything about vandwelling, I remember an old woman in her 60's at least, living out of her old Caddy. She'd park at a couple of different spots in our neighborhood each night and kept the motor on for heat as it was very cold. I used to get home by around 2am so I always noticed her. After about a week, I think someone called the cops on her. Our neighbors are very intrusive.....ie. calling the cops on my aunt who was moving in with a freaking MOVING truck + profession MOVERS in uniform, etc. <br><br>Now that I'm aware of vandwelling, I would welcome such people passing through and let them hook up to my electricity if they'd like.<br><br>I think in higher income area, they would call the cops and the cops would arrive fast. Like my friend, who owns a $1.5 million house in Texas (which is a lot for Texas, as houses are cheap there)....used to get cops called on him every week for months by his neighbors who didn't like seeing an Asian living in their neighborhood. <br><br><br><br>

Also for noisy areas such as 24 hour markets, stores, etc....I would recommend wearing earplugs....and if that's not enough, earplugs + shooting grade ear muffs.&nbsp; I'm a very light sleeper, and this combo drowns out so much surrounding noise, but you can still hear someone close by talking loudly and/or yelling at you to get your attention (ie. a cop)<br><br>http://www.midwayusa.com/product/497262/howard-leight-leightning-l1-slimline-earmuffs-nrr-25-db-gray<br><br>http://www.midwayusa.com/product/63...-plugs-ear-plugs-nrr-30-db-package-of-10-pair<br><br>

Want to know how many times we'd get calls about the meter reader? Lol

I have never been bothered by Police when I boondock. &nbsp;Many great comments have already been mentioned. &nbsp;Respect goes a long way, yes most Cops are great people and not interested in bothering you but may have been instructed to have some folks "move along." &nbsp; When you respond respectfully to their request they don't usually ticket. &nbsp;The best boondocking spot I ever had was in a Police Station Parking lot! &nbsp;&nbsp;

<SPAN id=post_message_1271750640>Also for noisy areas such as 24 hour markets, stores, etc....I would recommend wearing earplugs....and if that's not enough, earplugs + shooting grade ear muffs.&nbsp; I'm a very light sleeper, and this combo drowns out so much surrounding noise, but you can still hear someone close by talking loudly and/or yelling at you to get your attention (ie. a cop)</SPAN>
<BR><BR>I'm a light sleeper to and&nbsp;carry a white noise machine with me to drown out most of the background noise but can still here the loud stuff.<BR>

Latest posts