Cooking with Parchment paper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimindenver

Reaction score
Have you ever thought of cooking something and then dropped it because of the mess it would make? I can tell you that I detest cleaning after owning a cleaning service for decades and the esiest way to not have to clean is to not make the mess in the first place.

I have seen people line their pans with tin foil but that has to be cleaned or gets expensive wadding it up and throwing it away each time. Recently I saw a you tube about cooking on Parchment paper which I use while I bake in the trailers oven. I have been experimenting with lining my fry pans and griddle with it and I have to say that it is nice to toss a bit of paper rather than wipe out and then wash a greasy mess.

So far it has been mostly hamburger patties which the paper can become soaked through if it is very greasy or I tried multiple patties one after the other. What did come through was just a light stain that wiped out easily. So juicy along with a long cook time may require more than one layer of parchment.

I cooked a steak for no mess. Eggs came out fine with a spritz of Pam or a smear of butter to keep them from sticking. I tried french toast yesterday which did well on dry paper or with a spritz of Pam. I did notice that it took a higher flame to get the same results.

So I will continue to test various ways to use Parchment paper. Last night a paper bowl to mix the eggs in, parchment to cook on and a paper plate left me with two forks and a spatula to wash.

I do fish all the time in parchment on top of thinly sliced onions, peppers, diced tomatoes, seasoning, lemons and cilantro all sealed up in folded pouch.  I must of saw it on TV because I wouldn't of thought of it on my own.

wad up and toss foil or wad up and toss parchment paper? Both are equally inconvenient. i toss the foil in with the empty cans for the junkers to haul away. But anyway, take a salmon fillet, salt, pepper, what ever you like, fold into a foil pocket, edges sealed with a fold. Put into a med hot pan. done in a jiff, and really good. I use skin-on with the skin side down, i plan to try skin-side up. Walmart has USA Alaska frozen fish. They also have China stuff, so check the package.

Yes, parchment paper works for a lot of things, although it doesn't hold moisture like foil. but it does have an asset above foil: you can burn it.

Yes, I use parchment paper rather than foil. Oh ya, make sure your using unbleached parchment paper. The process for the other is chemically created.
Something about sulfuric acid or sometimes zinc chloride.

I used to like foil but it all seems to be about as thick as silver colored tissue paper now, unless you buy the expensive heavy duty stuff. Might have to give parchment paper a try.

How would the parchment paper affect my cast iron pans? How about any residual flavor on the already 5 years of flavor i got on them? Any ideas? If you shooting from the hip with a best guess, that's fine, but lemme know that please. Thnx!

jimindenver said:
So I will continue to test various ways to use Parchment paper. Last night a paper bowl to mix the eggs in, parchment to cook on and a paper plate left me with two forks and a spatula to wash.

Very interesting thread. I use a lot of foil, baking in my toaster oven. Heck with washing dishes.

[size=medium]As Arte Johnson would say: