Cooking in a van with dietary restrictions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kitt

Reaction score
Hey guys! Now that the date draws closer for me making the leap into vandwelling (I've been on the hunt for a second part time job, once I do I'm planning on buying and moving into the van within 4 months) im planning on a cot with a simple kitchen set up in back with a fridge and solar. (I'm planning on a minivan for stealth) my mind is turning to one thing I never spent much time on.

What the frick am I gonna eat??

Due to some health issues I have to eat between 1300-1500 calories a day until I drop some weight, I also have to stay away from processed grains, breads, flour, etc. No gluten, less than 30grams of carbs a meal, try to get carbs from whole foods rather than processed junk, "eat as close to the garden as possible", gotta watch the sugars, even from fruit, basically no fun :( my rough plan is to eat lots of nuts and trail mix type food, salads with egg or chicken, eat as much raw as I can, and try and find a protein I like for protein/almond milk shaken protein shakes.

Maybe y'all can offer some other food ideas? Once I get my medications worked out and I get back down to where I was in high school I can reintroduce like tortillas and stuff.

Also I eat very close to Paleo so I don't really do beans, lentils, etc. I'm also more of a lean protein gal rather than red meat.

But one thing I find hilarious is that I'm. Not a picky eater. I love to eat and that's how I've gotten myself into this mess!!

Honestly I feel like I'm just stuck with salads and stirfry and soup. So please any other ideas are more than welcome!!!!!

If you can find a ready mix protein shake you enjoy (watch the sugar grams, less is better), those are so super easy to deal with on the road. I do much better on a high protein, low carb diet as well. Some of the protein bars are great to keep on hand (same watch the sugar content), although you'll have to look for gluten free varities for your particular diet. I always keep at least one in my purse for hunger emergencies. And of course jerky works for a portable option. Almonds, hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, deli roll ups, edamame, almond butter or peanut butter for that matter, cheese, roasted chickpeas, hummus with veggies, instead of a tortilla use lettuce leaves to make sandwich wraps.

I eat a modified Atkins (with more raw veggies than he allows).  This is what I eat:

Breakfast = 12 oz coffee, 4 oz heavy cream, saccharin with my vitamins & minerals and meds.

Lesure meals (this could be anytime from 11 AM to 6 PM) = one of the following, when I have time to cook:
  • Bacon and scrambled eggs (mix it up with different veggies added in)
  • Mixed salad (whatever raw veggies I have on hand) with tuna & Helman's Mayo or chicken & vinegarette or stew beef & gravy
  • Hamburger or Brat rolled in low carb tortilla (or without)
  • steak with low carb BBQ sauce (I especially like the fatty cuts)
  • Beef or Pork roast with onions and carrots (if I want to be especially sinful; red potatoes)
  • BBQ chicken (sometimes with pineapple)
  • Swedish meatballs with broccoli
  • Fresh fish as available, grilled with butter, garlic, salt, pepper
Meals while traveling or pressed for time:
  • pre-cooked bacon and hardboiled eggs (I keep a bunch of these on hand all the time)
  • sliced cheese, romane lettuce, sliced lunch meat (beef, ham, turkey) rolled in low carb tortilla
  • cheeses
  • pre-cooked steak, brats, chicken (eaten cold)
I try not to eat after 6 PM but I am hungriest in the evening (I usually don't get hungry or eat until afternoon).
This diet keeps my simple carbs under 10 grams/day.  Most of my carbs are complex (raw veggies).
I always have veggies to snack on (cucumber, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, . . .
I will sometimes eat fruit (usually an orange or apple) in the evening, even though it is not on my diet.
This diet keeps my body in slight acidosis (5 to 10 mg/dL ketones in urine), which is indicative of fat burning.
I gain weight on nuts no matter how little else I eat; don't know why, love 'em but my ketones go to zero.
I go far off diet once-in-a-while; usually pizza or ice cream.  Doesn't hurt weight loss too much and keeps me from hating the diet.

-- Spiff

poprouge said:
If you can find a ready mix protein shake you enjoy (watch the sugar grams, less is better), those are so super easy to deal with on the road.   I do much better on a high protein, low carb diet as well.  Some of the protein bars are great to keep on hand (same watch the sugar content), although you'll have to look for gluten free varities for your particular diet.  I always keep at least one in my purse for hunger emergencies.  And of course jerky works for a portable option.  Almonds, hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, deli roll ups, edamame, almond butter or peanut butter for that matter, cheese, roasted chickpeas, hummus with veggies, instead of a tortilla use lettuce leaves to make sandwich wraps.

Serious heart eyes right now hahah half of those never occurred to me!! Thanks so much!!

Tons of great ideas here, I am an overweight diabetic on a weight / fat loss diet, and I eat almost exclusively veggies and meant (doesn't matter if it's red, or white)
Broccoli is one of my go tos as well (love the stuff)
for salad dressing sometimes I'll use some cottage cheese (dunno if that'd be paleo, probably not) and Salsa
other options would be yogurt (pretty sure yogurt is at least somewhat paleo) or just EVOO and black pepper
I have found my Blood Glucose and my Bodt Fat to be closely related, as I tend to accumulat viscereal fat, and that negatively affects insulin response
If you too are diabetic, and haven't already discovered it, check out http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/
info that many doctors don't know or won't tell you
I am no longer meds dependant, in part due to this site's info

ArtW said:
Tons of great ideas here, I am an overweight diabetic on a weight / fat loss diet, and I eat almost exclusively veggies and meant (doesn't matter if it's red, or white)
Broccoli is one of my go tos as well (love the stuff)
for salad dressing sometimes I'll use some cottage cheese (dunno if that'd be paleo, probably not) and Salsa
other options would be yogurt (pretty sure yogurt is at least somewhat paleo) or just EVOO and black pepper
I have found my Blood Glucose and my Bodt Fat to be closely related, as I tend to accumulat viscereal fat, and that negatively affects insulin response
If you too are diabetic, and haven't already discovered it, check out http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/
info that many doctors don't know or won't tell you
I am no longer meds dependant, in part due to this site's info

I'm not diabetic but I am showing signs of insulin resistance, but I've been insulin resistant since I was a toddler pretty much. I also have hypothyroidism, Hashimotos Thyroiditis, little bit of an gluten intolerance (I feel a ton better when I don't eat it but if I do I won't get sick or anything) and I'm not a die hard paleo fanatic, it just lines up with what I eat. Since my Hashimotos is an autoimmune issue I try to stay away from inflammatory foods, mainly the nightshade family, ie. tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers. Which blows cause I adore bell peppers. Most is my personal preference as to what makes me feel good and energized, but the carbs and no processed grains, breads, or flour come straight from my doc.

I eat cheese and yogurt and eggs but that's about it for animal products other than meat.

Like I said if I had a choice is just eat whatever but at this point I need to eat only foods that help and are clean.

Hmmm I wonder if I could fit a juicer in the van... I'm planning a 10 day juice cleanse as soon as I can get 3 days off in a row.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Feel free to add any other ideas or advice!!

Kitt said:
Since my Hashimotos is an autoimmune issue I try to stay away from inflammatory foods, mainly the nightshade family, ie. tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers. 
I know this is an old post, but it sounds like the Autoimmune Protocol would serve you well. I have celiac and possibly another AI disease. I have been on AIP for a year now and it has helped a ton. There are books, podcasts, blogs, and facebook support groups for AIP. I even found an e-book of one pot meals, though I haven't bought it yet.

I didn't know vans could have dietary restrictions.

;)

sure they do, you know unleaded fuel only, must be at least 87 octane, 10-40 oil and such. highdesertranger

Mr.N: "I didn't know vans could have dietary restrictions."

Just give your van a good drink of water and see what happens.

Canned sardines on a bagged salad are a staple meal for me. Easy to find. Quick to eat. Easy cleanup. No cooking.

towhee said:
Canned sardines on a bagged salad are a staple meal for me. Easy to find. Quick to eat. Easy cleanup. No cooking.
Me too! I especially like bagged pear and gorgonzola salad.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for this post. We just started full-timing last year and I rarely eat gluten, milk, sugar or processed foods due to digestive problems. Anyway, I'm back to normal but spending a huge amount of money every month on fresh, organic food. So, looking to see how other full-timers are keeping their food budget low and still eating within their restrictions. Thanks again.

Here's a source I use a lot - http://whfoods.org

The premise is which ordinarily available foods should you eat for the best nutritional bang for your buck, and how to prepare those foods with a minimum amount of fuss.

Not specifically geared to camping nor to specific diets, just a good all-around reference.

I second this suggestion. Love whfoods.org.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk