Converting Down in the Desert

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertWillow

Reaction score
Full-time RVer for 12-years here getting ready to downsize.
It's time for a change to a cargo van I can convert into my own RV.
Change feels really good.
I was going to do this a while back but was talked out of it by fellow RVers in my park.
The time has come to stop listening to the naysayers and do what makes you happy.
Parts for older model 5ers are getting hard to find, like my roof A/C that died one evening.
The RV repair guy tells me he may not be able to find one that will work with my RV model so I now
have one of those upright units you vent out a window.
While staying cool, let's start converting things over to a true 12-volt self-contained lifestyle.
I will come out here often to put my list together will looking for my Ford E-250 Cargo Van.
Soon I may need a fridge/freezer since mine in the RV is trying to go out on me.
So this means I'll need one that can run on solar or shore power.
Have a suggestion?
Run it past me.

DesertWillow

1st off welcome DesertWillow. I think your RV guy is yanking your chain about your AC. RV AC's are universal and self contained. you simply undo the wires, unbolt the unit and lift it out. set a new one in place bolt it down and reconnect the wires. the hole in the roof is 14x14 same as a vent, they are all 14x14. as far as the refer goes, is it a 3 way? has it ever been serviced? highdesertranger

Welcome to the forums Desert Willow

I don't type fast so someone else might beat me to this ?????

I've never had one or installed either but wondering if your AC is the kind that the cool air comes out of several ducts in the ceiling throughout the rig .
It might be different from all the other ones where the cool air comes out of the bottom of the unit itself but might be the same like HDR said ,IDK.
Maybe someone else will post with more experience about that.

The fridge might just need to have the burner cleaned out , sometimes rust flakes off and interferes with the flame. Easy job but a little hard to explain without being there.

I know you're going to get a van but it might help with resale if you're selling the 5er.

There are very efficient 12volt fridges and I think others that use them will probably post some brands and models.
You will get answers to all your van conversion questions so don't be shy. There's lots of experience here in the tribe!

This was one reason I was at one point looking at a Springdale Summerland Mini, comes with a residential window AC on a built in shelf inside that vents through the side of the RV (Small Coleman RVs can be had like this, too)
I have never liked roof mounted AC, seems like asking for a roof leak
anyway, GL getting the van build out, simpler is better

Art is so right ,,,I could tell a million stories about leaking AC roof gaskets !

highdesertranger said:
1st off welcome DesertWillow.  I think your RV guy is yanking your chain about your AC.  RV AC's are universal and self contained.  you simply undo the wires,  unbolt the unit and lift it out.  set a new one in place bolt it down and reconnect the wires.  the hole in the roof is 14x14 same as a vent,  they are all 14x14.  as far as the refer goes,  is it a 3 way?  has it ever been serviced?  highdesertranger

Not so easy I am told on this '05 Jazz 25.2 RL.
For one thing.... I am finding a lot of parts manufacturers are going under or merging with other companies like Attwood, who had just come out with their new 2-motor Roof A/C that also has a wireless remote like my Carrier Air V unit. Was told this by the RV tech who states he has a customer who has been waiting for PC board for his A/C for quite a while now.
Next....my system has multiple ducts.
Then add solid Styrofoam walls making it difficult to run wiring for thermostat.  
But there is always a workaround.....
I have a standalone household unit sitting here in my office and it's a cool 77...... :)
This rig can sit here parked on my lot while I make my conversion over to a van.
My truck and 5er can then go up for sale and the lot too.

Walk in Beauty
DesertWillow

rvpopeye said:
Welcome to the forums Desert Willow

I don't type fast so someone else might beat me to this ?????

I've never had one or installed either but wondering if your AC is the kind that the cool air comes out of several ducts in the ceiling throughout the rig .
It might be different from all the other ones where the cool air comes out of the bottom of the unit itself but might be the same like HDR said ,IDK.
Maybe someone else will post with more experience about that.

The fridge might just need to have the burner cleaned out , sometimes rust flakes off and interferes with the flame. Easy job but a little hard to explain without being there.

I know you're going to get a van but it might help with resale if you're selling the 5er.

There are very efficient 12volt fridges and I think others that use them will probably post some brands and models.
You will get answers to all your van conversion questions so don't be shy.  There's lots of experience here in the tribe!
Thanks, I'll look that up.
You'd be surprised at what I have learned to replace or fix on my own just by researching it on the Internet.
I have been doing my own spring maintenance on the A/C unit but out here in the desert country when you can be looking at
115 during heat of the day, and when the park electric runs low during that time you can only do so much.
Roof air units are a big casualty out here.

Walk in Beauty
DesertWillow

Yeah , I've been a tron since I was 10 years old and been on campground electric crews a few times .

Periods of high use and inadequate wiring capacity will cause sometimes severe voltage sag.
When that happens ,lots of appliances AC units in particular suffer damage and the more often it happens the damage accumulates to the point of destroying the devices.

Unfortunately , many campgrounds were designed before there were so many rigs that have 50amp service and people that think they are at home where they have 200amp or even larger service panels , so they just use all the power they want.....
If you use a volt meter and see less than 108volts your AC etc is in danger.

Post back if you can't find any info on cleaning the fridge burner and I'll take a shot at explaining how ..

DesertWillow said:
Full-time RVer for 12-years here getting ready to downsize.
It's time for a change to a cargo van I can convert into my own RV.
Change feels really good.
I was going to do this a while back but was talked out of it by fellow RVers in my park.
The time has come to stop listening to the naysayers and do what makes you happy.
Parts for older model 5ers are getting hard to find, like my roof A/C that died one evening.
The RV repair guy tells me he may not be able to find one that will work with my RV model so I now
have one of those upright units you vent out a window.
While staying cool, let's start converting things over to a true 12-volt self-contained lifestyle.
I will come out here often to put my list together will looking for my Ford E-250 Cargo Van.
Soon I may need a fridge/freezer since mine in the RV is trying to go out on me.
So this means I'll need one that can run on solar or shore power.
Have a suggestion?
Run it past me.

DesertWillow
I will be looking forward to your 12-volt list and by the way what is a 5er?
jerilynn

Latest posts