conversion van vs camper van.. stealth concerns

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My .02

I also am in a situation where I will remain in the same area for probably around 10 years. This means stealth is super important for me. Since I've been in the van... over three months... I have not had a single problem. My van is just a regular cargo van, but the inside is quite livable with a good bed, kitchen (still in progress) and more storage than I need. I have a Renology flexible solar panel and have it afixed using epoxy/bolts (no holes). The advantage is that you cannot see the panel from the sidewalk since there is no rack or mounting hardware that protrudes. The only thing that makes my van a bit less stealthy is the Fantastic Fan vent cover. I find the FF critical to comfort so I would give up a bit of stealth for it personally. Aside from that it looks just like a regular contractors van. While ideally, a hightop would be awesome, one can get by with a lowtop/standard height no problem. I utilize a rolling ottoman and only really have to bend over when entering thru my front partition which separates the driver cab from the living area. I thought hard about a mini van, but I am very glad I went with a full size van. Its just way more comfortable... especially if you put the bed across the back, (instead of along the side) as I have recently done.

As to anxiety, I will say that the first couple weeks can be a bit tough. Its very different from house living, but overtime you will get used to it.

Best of luck.

One other thing to check. In some cities, (like in Commiefornia), They have ordinances against parking in the street if the vehicle height is over 7 feet. Some also have a length restriction like 21'.
An earlier post said their class B was 8' 6".

; ) we wouldn't be welcome in those parking areas of Cali... with all the lift on the van it is ~9'8"

I never stayed out of van yet so don't take my word for it.

I think newer looking commercial van has more chance of people breaking in as they think you might have expensive tools in it.

In nice areas have rarely police passes by unless called, but people are paranoid and would call on you,
in a ghetto people care less if you live out of van, but police patrols often.

In big city you can find a spot easy i guess when you go to towns its more a hassle.

I just got conversion van and it has literally no room for anything cuz of space used for some speakers and radio, seats and bunch of heavy wooden panels all over its probably close to vehicle GVWR just with conversion and imagine putting your luggage and fridge, water tanks, sink etc.
Walls are thick like 2-3 inch that's space totally wasted for some nicer looks, this vans are used just for part time camping not for living out of them.

Old conversions have interior lose i hate tha't trying to fix it very difficult without rebuilding the conversion completely.

Structural integrity also sucks if there's windows as they remove side ribs and roof is plastic.

You see metal ribs on left and right walls and roof?
Living-in-a-Cargo-Van-interior.jpg

; )
Hadn't seen the interior of a stock chevy van in years. Ours was like the one in post 24 above before we put on our ( ; plastic ; ) roof. (Fiberine 24" fiberglass top)
Our roof has the roof-metal forward of the beam going up the walls from top of wheel wells to aft of the beam going up from just forward of the fuel fill bump seen on the street side van floor. If done right there can still be plenty of structural integrity in the rig after the ~6' cut from the roof as others have also noted.

And even if the entire roof was replaced I think occupants are way ahead safety wise in an accident than those in a class A or many class C motorhomes. Plenty of youtube videos showing what happens to a stick-built-home on a chassis in an accident.

Thom

My fiberglass 24" high top came complete with a set of 2 - 2" x1/4" steel ribcage assemblies that are welded to the original roof and go up to the top of the fiberglass and probably provide at least as much if not more structural integrity than the original roof did.

And yes, as Accrete noted, a van, even with the high top installed survives a total roll much better than any of the Class As or Cs and even a cargo trailer (I had one of them rolled on it's side).

Almost There said:
... high top installed survives a total roll much better than any of the Class As or Cs and even a cargo trailer (I had one of them rolled on it's side).

The internet is a beautiful thing : )

As some are aware we full time in a large 5th wheel (OK it is insanely big at ~21K lbs and 43 ft hitch to bumper) BUT it is our home and not really out on the road much (we pay a professional transporter to relocate the rig as needed. cheaper than a month's payment on a rig to haul it).

We were pondering going with something like the Aerocell Ford Transit but then thinking it through realized that most likely they are basically a Class C when it comes to safety so are back to the idea of a LWB-e HR Transit for Van v2 ... but, as noted, still lots to consider before a purchase.

Thom

I'm thinking that that Aerocell has the van roof with the ribs still in place over the drivers compartment and the fiberglass body above is like a hightop and then the fiberglass body is integrated behind the cab area.

Rollover would total the fiberglass for sure.

The other thing I noticed is that the GVWR is over 10,000 lbs which might make it difficult to impossible to register as anything but a commercial vehicle. You'd want to check on that before you end up with having to plate and insure it as commercial which is pure hassle.

Patrick46 said:
a PLASTIC ROOF???? Whaaaaaaaa????

Extension roof is plastic ain't it, fiberglass or whatever still less solid than metal with reinforcement bars, however its not my main point though for not wanting a stock conversion.

Nothing wrong with having one though if you dont care about being stealth.

Passenger van with with windows is way less suspicious as of someone staying in it versus windowless van with roof extension IMO, just saw one today parked in home depot and thought someone might live in it.

Not to be a troll or something just wanted to give my point.

Almost There said:
And yes, as Accrete noted, a van, even with the high top installed survives a total roll much better than any of the Class As or Cs and even a cargo trailer (I had one of them rolled on it's side).
Buying higher car to prevent rolling makes no sense to me.
Higher car is - more chances to roll especially troublesome to ride in in a strong side wind.

P.S. By definition "fiberglass - is a type of fiber reinforced plastic where the reinforcement fiber is specifically glass fiber."

P.P.S All passengers supposed to be strapped in the seats while any car moving not like laying down on the bed.

I wonder about windows not from a stealth perspective so much as security... has anyone had their van windows smashed by thieves or vandals?

Insulation and blackout can be addressed internally with panels so no problem there; I'm just concerned with having structural weak spots in the shell (forgive me if I sound paranoid - I'm really not - but I've lived most of my life in a less-than-idyllic part of St. Louis and one develops a cautious mindset after awhile.)

Back in the late 70's I had my van broken into.  They smashed the drivers door window so they could open the door.  I was not inside at the time.  Any vehicle is going to have windows to break into.  The door windows alows them to reach in to open the door.  Anywhere else and they would need to crawl through the broken window to get in.  So a window van probably won't make much difference.  YMMV

never had a break-in... but wife and I pretty much decided to go windowless, except _maybe_ the rear door windows, and then we'd install the security screens just to keep the utility-work van look.

B and C said:
Any vehicle is going to have windows to break into.  The door windows alows them to reach in to open the door.  Anywhere else and they would need to crawl through the broken window to get in.  So a window van probably won't make much difference.  YMMV

Yeah that makes sense; didn't think of that.  Most break-ins are goal-oriented, not just malicious fun... if they break a window, they're gonna break the one that yields the best return for the least work.

Don't they have county people going around looking for expired tags, vehicular lawn ornaments, etc. to ticket and tow because it's such a problem in Bmore and the surrounding counties? People just trash the place and lower property value. Neighbors will complain. In Maryland, it's even illegal to have a car inside a barn of a giant farm or something w/o current tags, registration and insurance.

I'd be extra careful about living in a van there. Probably going as much stealth as possible is the best idea. Class B's stand out like an RV almost. They are way more distinct than the average conversion van. If it's not in someone's driveway or at the same spot all the time, it's pretty clear that someone's living in it.

Total Security is an illusion. On a cargo van you could make decorative window guards, like wrought iron, or buy the square wire ones made for commercial users for the rear and side windows, and install a lockable bulkhead behind the drivers seat.
A small sign may work as well. I may be inside just waiting for you.

How about putting padlocks on all the van doors from the outside. Should deter the casual crackhead and slow down the ones most determined to get in.

once people start putting on rooftop vents ac units solar panels satellite domes. it's only obvious that someones living in there :D :p

darude said:
once people start putting on rooftop vents ac units solar panels satellite domes. it's only obvious that someones living in there :D :p

Solar panels, yeah, but rooftop vents... maybe not so much.  I've seen plenty of work trucks that have fans and vents installed because they operate mobile shops in them (locksmiths are the first example that come to mind) or carry a lot of paints/solvents/whatever that generate fumes.