Conversion van running boards

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfmore72

Reaction score
Do conversion van running boards help or hurt with regard to mpg's?  mine are cracked in a few spots and real soft under foot.  its also hard to get under the van to work on it...  but if they help with mpgs i may keep them.

thoughts?

Thanks
e

:)  Hello....I have a 1998 GMC Safari with a hightop conversion by Glaval.  It has a trim package called Grand Effects.

Other than chiped paint the running boards are in good shape.  My first thoughts were do I need/want a running board from the front wheel well to the rear one?  NO!  My mechanic said removing them will not have an affect on fuel usage.  My best friend sez it will.  I personally have no idea.  They are still there because I've tried out stepping from the ground into the van several times without using them and it's a long step for my shortlegged self.  I've opted to keep them until I can afford to replace them with shorter ones sometime in the future.

I'm sure you'll hear from others on this.

Jewellann

I took mine off. I think they were more for show. They really do reduce ground clearance if you go off road. You would have to be pretty short to need them for climbing into the van. Gas mileage difference is insignificant either way.

That's interesting....I've never heard that running boards were to help with aero-dynamics. I always thought they were primarily for helping kids and older people get inside the van. A step stool, of sorts.

I don't like the looks of them and hubby feels he'd have a more difficult time working on van with them so we would prefer a conversion van without them or at least can easily be removed. However, now I'm curious if they do make a difference in mpg cause I'd rather save the moola.

I'm having some put on to hard climbing into promaster

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I took them off our old van because of ground clearance issues, my better half is very short so we compromised and I put a hoop step on for her. Worked well and was out of the way.

Look at the modern semi~truck and trailor.  

By putting on those fancy plastic air shields, they save  up to 10%

That ads up when driving a lot of miles.  

I will keep my West Coast running boards, as they allow me a safe step getting in.  I need evey advantage I can get.

I took mine off because of the ground clearance, that and I would have to jack it way up to be able to service it. They were handy for getting in and out but a small homemade step took care of that. I haven't seen a difference in fuel mileage but then I don't drive it a lot just to and from camp spots. Taking them off made a big difference on where I can go, gave me an extra 6 inches of clearance and gets me up most mountain roads. Getting into the drivers seat was the only thing that changed. I have long legs and getting them under the steering wheel was the only thing I had to change.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I removed mine and found no noticeable difference in MPG's

On Big rigs the rearmost axle is a big Airdam, and the deflectors reduce wind drag.

I doubt that ruinning boards on Vans would be able to reduce air drag on back axle enough to make a measurable difference in highway Mpgs. Slowing downby an average 1MPH on the highway would likely do much more.

I am considering putting a hoop step on my side door to reduce wear and tear on my right knee.

I am planning on cutting the running boards off mine and leaving the flare part with a slot cut out on the flare to feed the brakes cool air.
Something like this

I think some states will require mud flaps if you remove them, but dont quote me on it.
Seen many a Class C with overheated brakes coming down 6 % grades.
More then likely the operator riding the brakes downhill.

I am a long legged 6 footer, so my feet never touch mine. My wife is 5 foot on a tall day, so would shoot me if I took them off.
They say an air dam under the front bumper helps mileage, but have never hear that fender flares help.

running boards and side skirt aero kits are obvious not the same. running boards add weight and does not deflect air flow but its handy for elders and kids. side skirts does deflect air flow to a certain degree. i had a pair of running boards on my old silverado and when i took them off, i think i saved a hundred pound of weight.

Latest posts