Conversion in CA questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darinc

Reaction score
First post so I apologize if this is not in the right spot.  

I've searched the web and although I have found sites listing the requirements for a motorhome/house car conversion in CA (Cooking surface, food storage, bed and there is some debate about lavatory), none of them answer my question.

I have a large fifth wheel (18,500 lbs GTWR) and although a one ton can tow it, it cannot reliably stop it especially in the event of a trailer brake failure.  I want to buy a FL60 sport chassis, but the only way for it to be affordable and work for my purposes is to register it as a house car / motor home.

This is my thought:  

• The back seat folds down so this is the bed.
  • The sport chassis has a large pass through storage behind the cab. On the passenger side mount a cook stove and sink to a pull out tray.  This is the food prep and cooking station.  Mount a refer under the pull out
  • On the driver's side have a chem toilet with an outdoor shower surround.
Has anyone done anything like this in CA?  I know I could buy an HDT for cheaper and convert the sleeper, but it would not work for my wife and the horse trailer.  It has to be a MDT crew cab.

Thank you
Darin

Welcome to the CRVL forums Darinc! Hopefully someone here will be able to answer your questions. As you get into your build, be sure to post some pics. We love 'em.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome aboard the good ship CRVL !
Lots of folks have converted an HDT to RV haulers , singling the rears and camperizing the sleepers . speedhighway here on CRVL ,see his thread ,,, and there are forums on the Escapees site and iRV2 also! You'll find all the answers you need between those and maybe the brownies at the DMV would help too ! mmmmmmm brownies !

Well after your help I found out that in the great overly regulated state of CA you can no longer re-title any class 4-8 (>14,001 gvwr) to a house car. I talked with a registration and investment firm who stated the last RV conversion they registered they got a visit from a DMV investigator who ordered them to stop.  It appears the DMV got wise to the loophole and saw that they were losing very valuable fees.  For example a 2004 Freightliner FL 60 registered as an RV is only subject to RV registration which is about $300 a year.  Where as that same truck registered as a commercial truck with a declared CVRA weight of 30,000 pounds is about $1000.  Not to mention all CA smog laws are applicable to it.  Which means it requires a 2010 or newer engine.  It also now involves the motor carrier division for a motor carrier permit and on and on.  

This bureaucracy is full proof non of this has to do with safety and only about money.  

Thanks for the help

I have friends in CA that were able to register their F550 as a recreational truck - different than an RV. I'm not sure if that can still be done, but is worth checking into. That is basically what you are trying to do I believe. It may take some looking through the actual regulations - as was mentioned in another thread, and has been my experience, most of the DMV workers don't know all of the rules and just repeat what they've been told by supervisors.

I'll look into that.  Sounds a lot better than the empty your pockets every year they want you to do.