Connection of MPPT charge controller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMAG YOYO

Reaction score
Hey all,
My Tracer MPPT charge controller has a "Load" terminal which will provide a steady 12V from the battery, solar, or both. It's limited to 20A, so obviously I can't run my 1000W inverter from it. 

I guess the point of it is to isolate the load from the battery, so that the MPPT has an accurate reading of how much current the battery is absorbing. I could run other loads from the load connection but they are a small draw compared to the load from the inverter. 

If I could use the load terminals, I could also get a current reading of the load via the display. 

What is the correct way to connect this controller?

Good answer. So, it's basically unnecessary to use the Load terminal, and OK to have load and battery and charger on the same circuit.

Another oddity, the controller display has a function that can adjust millivolt per Celsius, presumably to compensate for battery temperature and voltage. When I tweak the setting between -1 and -10 mV, it changes the SOC reading. Any idea what the right setting for this might be?

KMAG YOYO said:
Good answer. So, it's basically unnecessary to use the Load terminal, and OK to have load and battery and charger on the same circuit.

Another oddity, the controller display has a function that can adjust millivolt per Celsius, presumably to compensate for battery temperature and voltage. When I tweak the setting between -1 and -10 mV, it changes the SOC reading. Any idea what the right setting for this might be?

Trojan says 5.0 mV per cell / °C or 2.8 mV per cell / °F. 

That makes sense because the 5.0mV would be right in the middle of the adjustable range on your controller.

frater secessus said:
Trojan says 5.0 mV per cell / °C or 2.8 mV per cell / °F. 

That makes sense because the 5.0mV would be right in the middle of the adjustable range on your controller.

I also noticed that figure is for AGM, they don't give a compensation for flooded batteries as I have. I will set it to 0 mV.

You're right, I didn't catch that.  Trojan specifies that value for AGM and gel.  

Looks like they give that same info in their FAQ without referring to FLA, AGM, or gel, so maybe it's good for all of them.