Condensation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmatt48

Reaction score
I am using inverted flower pots joined together with nuts and bolts. The flower pots nest inside one another and sit on top of my stove. They work great as heater and run off my main 40 lb propane cylinder. The problem is condensation. I am wondering if anyone has found a solution to the condensation issue. I have a window open giving me 18 sg. in of ventilation but still condensation persists. Love to hear your solutions.

There are lots of things you can buy to help, they are called 'desiccants'. I used to use this one that converted stuff into water, it was these little pebbles, that would 'melt' as they sucked up the humidity from the air. It worked ok, but then you would have this gross looking water, that you would have to empty every time you wanted to drive. My sister just found this http://www.mosonatural.com/index.html, She has some in her house and think they work well, I want to get some but haven't had the opportunity yet. Re-usable, and doesn't produce yukky water. I'm a fan in theory!

An open window doesn't help much if there's little airflow through it. You gotta think about where the moisture is coming from and how it will get from here to there (and out) and what cold surfaces it might touch. Any bare metal forming a 'bridge' between the exterior and interior will conduct heat and therefor acquire a layer of condensate. Same goes for windows. That's why I either rip of the aluminum trim around my windows or when impractical, put a layer of some sorta plastic insulation (Coroplast strips adhered with carpet tape).

What you want to avoid is still moisture laden air 'pooling' and, because it's now colder, having less capacity to hold water vapour.. which then condenses. If you have cushions that are against a wall you'll probably notice that, after a bit, they've become damp along the back edge/bottom. What I do, when this happens, is to take one of my handy dandy 12v computer fans, pull the cushions out, and blow warm air along the corner/edge until it dries out. Same goes for my bed. Yup, it's a hassle, but it works well and is cheap. Got solar, so might as well us it. ..Willy.

The flame creates water. As a vapor that then cools and condenses to liquid. A small exhaust fan will pull the vapor out resulting in less water. Some small amount of heat must be lost.