Concealed Carry Options

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in most states(not all) older guns before registration began are grandfathered in, so they are perfectly legal. check with your state laws first. highdesertranger

Oopslala, the cylinder of your Dads .22 not functioning correctly is almost always a matter of timing. a very simple fix done by any qualified gunsmith. I have never had a gunsmith check my registration or anything else, it's a whole different animal than buying a pistol. Your friendly FFL dealer should be able to recommend a good one for you. There are many that do it as a sideline a their home. No Need to let it go to waste.

Oopslala said:

While Taurus makes a good product for a reasonable price, a seven shot magnum revolver weighing in at nearly two pounds is heavy and bulky to be carrying CCW.  If you are a bigger guy, you may pull it off.  But before you buy it, try it on at the gunshop with a good 'inside the waistband' holster, and see how it feels.  Also try to keep it concealed (from 'printing') under your shirt/jacket/sweater.  Turn, bend over, do the movements you normally do, while the store clerk watches you.  Here in Florida, if you 'print' and someone realizes you are carrying concealed it is no longer 'concealed'.  You could be accused of 'displaying'.  People are kinda weird that way.

I had a Ruger Security Six .357 magnum revolver on my hip for as much as 10 to 12 hours a day back when I was working as an armored car guard.  It's weight was about the same as the Taurus.  The weight gets tiring after several hours.  That's the reason most people carry little guns.  I think it's also the reason that plastic guns are so popular.

Regards
John

For concealed carry I want a gun that's less than 12 oz (preferably 10 oz.) and no bigger than 3x5 and an inch wide. The tiny revolvers and semi-autos will fit that. They are very easy to just fit right into your pocket and wear them all day, although to be fair I've never done it.

I know myself well enough to know that anything bigger or heavier than that and I'll leave it at home and not carry it all the time--no matter what my intentions.
Bob

I have a half a dozen of each, revolvers and semi autos. For deep concealment I carry a Diamondback DB9 in a pocket holster. It has never failed to work on the range, so I am comfortable with it. Normally If I can wear a baggy shirt, I carry a Ruger SP101 2" in a hip holster. It is a .357 Magnum, but I never load it with more than 38Spl +P. The saying is 5 for sure. pretty reliable, and if I can't hit something in 5 shots,  I am better off to use the gun to break a window, jump out and run.

I find that the rounded handle prints less than the square back end of Semi Autos. Also wearing a shirt with a print or design helps hide easier. With solid colors, you can see bulges easier. Prints and patterns fool the eye.

For inside the rv, a can of oven cleaner or wasp spray works well. Spray carburetor cleaner in a jam as well. It gives you enough time to kick them where it really hurts, (several times). Keep some white canes near the door so that they can find their way out. May be cruel, but what form of kindness were they hoping to give you?

Officer I was getting ready to clean my cast iron skillet, I just grabbed the first thing I could get my hands on, I was in fear of my life, (don't forget that last part). Cast iron is harder than anyone's head as well. It is called blunt force trauma.

The thing about .357 magnum for concealed carry is that the bullet is long gone while the powder still is burning making noise. Until you get into a 4" barrel, the 40 S&W has actually more power. The powder they put into 357's has to work in long guns as well, so they use a slow burning powder. http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/index.html    under their banner click on Calibers / Cartridges. it will show you what different bullets do in different barrel lengths.

BTW I do have a 40 S&W revolver. It is made by Taurus. It uses moon clips model 405. Kinda big and heavy for CCW.

I was interested in the 327 Magnum. Very few guns made that fire that. Most companies abandoned manufacture. Ammo can be difficult to find.

My 45 is a bit heavier than that Taurus at 30oz unloaded, I carry it from the time I get up to when I go to sleep everyday and since I got a proper belt and holster weight hasn't been an issue(to the point where I haven't even touched my little .25 since then.) Concealing a gun larger than a doublestack subcompact or 38 snub requires finding the right holster and position for your body. I am thinner and OC at 3:00 with a reverse cant but my 45 will hide nicely IWB under a tee shirt at 11:30 or 4:30 with an FBI cant.
One problem with my USP is holsters are not easy to find, I suggest you stick with something that uses common holsters, custom holsters will set you back.

I'm not a fan of the .380 and prefer revolvers, but this new Taurus would really tempt me:
http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=901&category=Pistol&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

For $400 it comes with a laser, light and doesn't need a holster. Just stick it in your waistband  or inside your  pocket like a knife. It's 10 ounces and just slightly over 3x5.

The first, and all-important, rule of gunfighting is have a gun, and I think I would carry this.

A distant second rule is carry all the gun you can handle, but too often  it conflicts with the first and all-important rule

I't's obvious why it's called the Curve! It's even curved upright to conform to your body.
Bob
Taurus-Curve-180CRV-1.jpg

Taurus-Curve-180CRV-2.jpg

I've held off buying the gun.  Upon talking to a lot of friends and family, one who has the smaller version, 605, saying to get something a little smaller.  So, for now, I will continue browsing and visiting gun shops to find a good gun for myself.

I have found another potential candidate, for what seems to be a rather low price, which worries me.  I found a used LCR .357  Double Action with Crimson Trace for $475.  That price seems too good to be true to me, with Ruger's MSRP at $899.  For you gun people out there, is that a reasonable price for that gun, or should I expect issues with it?

Also, holsters aren't too much of an issue for me. My brother owns a leather shop, so I'll get the hookup for whatever I may need made.

Oopslala said:
I've held off buying the gun.  Upon talking to a lot of friends and family, one who has the smaller version, 605, saying to get something a little smaller.  So, for now, I will continue browsing and visiting gun shops to find a good gun for myself.

I have found another potential candidate, for what seems to be a rather low price, which worries me.  I found a used LCR .357  Double Action with Crimson Trace for $475.  That price seems too good to be true to me, with Ruger's MSRP at $899.  For you gun people out there, is that a reasonable price for that gun, or should I expect issues with it?

Also, holsters aren't too much of an issue for me.  My brother owns a leather shop, so I'll get the hookup for whatever I may need made.
Does not matter that retail is dbl the asking price, If the gun is in good condition, then it's a bargain. 
Since it is a revolver the mechanics are pretty straight forward. Inspect it, test fire if you can and enjoy.

I purchased a Sig P220 9MM EU version many moons ago at half the retail price used, has a chip in the original handle near a screw, doesn't affect the gun at all. I don't have it to show off, so a chip means nothing to me, but functionally, after many hundreds of rounds of everything from the best ammo to the worst of range ammo it has never ever once jammed. To me that's all that matters.

Ruger LCRs have really NICE double action trigger pulls.  Way better than S&W or Taurus.

I'd be all over that gun at that price.

Regards
John

So, if I were to buy the Ruger and something went wrong, how would the warranty work, since I wasn't the first owner?

I love those LCR 357s light, compact. I've heard they are the only Ruger's that can't handle a steady diet of HOT 357 loads though. Not that you would want to shoot such stout loads very often in a small light handgun like the LCR anyway. Most personal defense/law enforcement loads are not even close to hot and are what you want to carry near civilization anyway.
Can't speak on the warranty. Never owned a Ruger or had any warranty work done on any firearm.

Ruger from what I hear has excellent warranty and customer service. but like I said it's what I heard. I own 4 Rugers and never had to test it. highdesertranger

Oopslala said:
So, if I were to buy the Ruger and something went wrong, how would the warranty work, since I wasn't the first owner?

You wouldn't have a warranty from Ruger.

Honestly, .357 magnum loads through a light gun like that are downright PAINFUL to shoot.  (If you buy it, I would recommend that you load it with .38 +P)  Because of that, it wouldn't surprise me that the previous owner sold it  or traded it without putting too many rounds through it.  Good chance it's like new.

Of course, if a complete MASOCHIST shot it extensively with full power loads, the action may be so battered that it needs complete rebuilding.  In which case the cylinder will be sloppy and it won't want to lock up solidly.

If you're not comfortable depending on your own judgment, either pay a good, independent gunsmith to drop by with you and check it in the store, or, depending on what the store policy is, buy it and take it immediately to that good gunsmith to be checked out.  What kind of warranty DOES the gunstore offer on used guns?

Regards
John

Any thoughts on the Hi point C9 9mm for only $143?

I sold my only handgun about 7 years ago to pay the rent one month, it was a Colt 6 shot 380 mustang and was way to small for my XXL hand.