Concealed Carry Options

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oopslala

Reaction score
I've been browsing the forums gun threads, and see a lot of discussion of pistols and handguns.  

I'm in the process of getting my license right now, but don't have much of a clue what gun I plan on getting (well, first hand gun).  

The more I look, the more attracted to the look of a revolver I am.  I don't find others as appealing to the eye, at least the ones I've seen.  Sadly, I'll have a budget of about $450 dollars to spend on the gun, so that will limit my choices a bit.

Thus brings the question:

What gun(s) are you favorite to carry, shoot the easiest for you?

I understand guns will fit everyone differently, and it's the person that is handling the gun, not the gun itself that makes it more precise, but whenever I go shooting there's always a couple that just seem easier than others.

Suggestions are very welcome!

I like (and carry) a Glock but you will get as many opinions as there are handguns. I suggest you go to a large Firearm Dealer who will let you handle different weapons until YOU decide what feels right in your hand. If possible fire the one or ones you like and see how they feel as far as recoil and being ready for your next shot.

Stay with a quality weapon, if you ever have to use it you want it to function as designed. Decide where on your body you will be carrying the weapon, that actually means a lot as far as what you carry. 

I carry the Glock because it is uncomplicated, reliable and reasonably accurate from the distance I would be using it for. 

Good Luck...Bob J.

There are a number of good smaller .32 and .38 revolvers that are good carry guns.  The .327Magnum caliber packs a fair punch while still being quite managable.  An inside-the-pants holster in a butt-forward carry is comfortable while driving.
I totally agree with handling as many different models possible and see which 'speak' to you.  With my big mitts a good fit is tough to find.

For a slightly different perspective, perhaps look at less lethal forms of self defense as well. Pepper spray for instance, or some quality self defense training.

That said, if you are focused on a firearm for self defense you'll find a revolver requires far less practice and ability to use well. It's a point and shoot weapon without bringing safeties and chambered rounds into consideration.

I carry a Ruger LCP. Nice and small. Easy to conceal with little to no tell.
380ACP.

Best of all, less than $300 when on sale at Cabella's and made in good ol'e Prescott AZ.

Nice action.

One thing of note. This firearm has no safety. I basically don't keep a round chambered as my safety. larger mags than 6 are avail, but hang out the bottom, as there is no double mag for this.

A good alternative if you want a larger mag but not much larger weapon, my wife carries a Walther PK380. We use the same ammo.

ruger_lcp_2.jpg

images

well I had a friends .357 revolver for years, he didn't want his wife to know. it was my carry pistol. when he finally wanted it back all I had was a .22 which is marginally better than pepper spray. so I started shopping around and found a used ruger Blackhawk .357 at a gun store it was in pristine condition for 400 bucks. I bought it immediately. I like it even though it's only a single action revolver. it's my new go to pistol. I have nothing against semi autos, I do love 1911's but the prices geeze. I feel that a revolver is also a simpler design, less to go wrong. highdesertranger

Best advice I can give to a newb is to start with a 22.  It takes a lot of practice to get good with a handgun, and centerfire ammunition is not cheap.  22 ammo is, plus there is no recoil, which lets you concentrate on sight alignment and trigger control while you are learning.  Plus it's quiet enough (relatively speaking) that it's easier to find places to practice without attracting unwanted attention.

GET TRAINING!  The NRA is the place to start, you don't have to be a member, there are instructors everywhere, and the price is very reasonable.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/search.aspx

If, at some point, you want to advance beyond the NRA basic courses, there are a number of fine schools around the country.  You might try this article I wrote a number of years ago:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/author/johnp/

Finally, I endorse the idea of a revolver.  When I was selling guns part time  at a Gander Mountain store about a decade ago, we had a LOT of ex-police S&W revolvers, 4 inch barrels, 38 special, come through the store for VERY reasonable prices.  Many of these guns were carried a lot but seldom shot, so they were a bit rough cosmetically, but near-new mechanically.  At that time, they were usually selling for under $300.  With modern +P loads, they make very effective self defense guns.

Regards
John

LeeRevell said:
There are a number of good smaller .32 and .38 revolvers that are good carry guns.  The .327Magnum caliber packs a fair punch while still being quite managable.  An inside-the-pants holster in a butt-forward carry is comfortable while driving.
I totally agree with handling as many different models possible and see which 'speak' to you.  With my big mitts a good fit is tough to find.

Personally, I'm not prepared to bet my life on ANY .32 or .380, but stopping power debates should be a whole 'nother thread.

Lee, The 327 magnum is an interesting caliber, probably as effective as the .38 or maybe a bit more so, but not at all common.  I seriously doubt that Pop's General Store in Middle Of Nowhere, Nevada, is going to have any on the shelf.

IMNPHO, A traveling man should have guns in calibers he can find anywhere - .38 spl, 9 mm, .357 mag, 40 s&w, and maybe 45 acp.

Regards
John

The place I'm going to get my concealed carry license has a lot of guns that you handle throughout the course, so hopefully that will help me get moving in the right direction as well.

Inside the pants is definitely what I'm leaning more towards to. I don't often wear shirts that would work well with a pistol underneath it. It's definitely going to be interesting getting used to having a gun in your pants though. I'm sure it won't take too long though.

I've grown up with guns my entire life, and find them to be the best possible for of self defense for myself. Thank you though.

When I was visiting a buddy in North Carolina, he actually had that Ruger LCP. It was definitely a good stealth gun, and easy to carry, but when it came to shooting, I had quite a bit of trouble connecting with the target.

My brother owns 5 pistols, one of which is a .22. I definitely plan on shooting them all a bit. Though it's hard for me to see shooting a .22 200 times will make me a better shot with a completely different gun. I get there are basics to it, but I've been shooting guns my entire life and pistols around 6 months.

From what I understand, my training to get the license consists of a bit of training of using the gun. After that's over, if I feel like I need more training to be comfortable I will look into that.

I just can't shake the idea of a revolver personally. I see some peoples arguments that having those extra 10ish bullets could save your life. But in my opinion, if you didn't hit with the first 5-7, you likely won't have time to fire off many more shots. I'm sure there are a few cases, but I can't seem to think of enough to justify getting something else.

Also, the idea of buying used guns kind of irks me a little bit. I don't know the reason the person traded it in, and I can't be sure that the person who took the gun in for a trade knows the ins and outs of every gun to make sure it's 100% usable and correct.

I'm not sure what state you are in.  If you are going to be a travelin' man, you need to know that the US is a hodgepodge of states that will accept your CCW as valid and states that won't, states that will issue you a non-resident CCW and states that won't, etc.  There are some states where all you can do is unload your gun and lock it up while you drive through that state as quickly as legally possible.

I've currently got permits for NY (my home state) and non-resident permits for NH, CT, and UT.  When I hit the road, I need to add TX, FL, NV, and ME yet.

The Bible for such information is:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Finally, I tell everybody who carries a gun for self defense that they really, Really, REALLY need to belong to:

http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Regards
John

Oopslala said:
Though it's hard for me to see shooting a .22 200 times will make me a better shot with a completely different gun.

For ten years, a .22 revolver was the only handgun I owned.  My brother and I were able to shoot on our own land, so we used to go out and plink at tin cans quite a bit.

When I got a job as an armored car guard, I had to acquire a .357 magnum revolver.  The company had us shooting the same qualification course the state police used.  I **ACED** that course with a new-to-me gun firing full power loads.  All thanks to plinking with a .22.  Yeah, the fundamentals transfer quite nicely.  'nuff said.

Regards
John

HarmonicaBruce said:
I'm kind of digging on the Smith & Wesson bodyguard, S&W 380

Now that I "live" in South Dakota, I need to figure out if I can even buy a gun outside of SD.

Not a handgun.  Under Federal law, you can only buy a handgun in your state of residence.  No FFL in any other state will sell to you.  If you arrange a private purchase in some other state, you will be breaking a law the Feds take VERY seriously and you WILL do time if you are caught.

You can buy rifles and shotguns in other states, IF their state regulations allow it.

Regards
John

If I remember correct you can buy a handgun in any state but it must be shipped to an FFL in your resident state before you take possession of it. Sounds like a hassle unless you find a great deal.

Is .22 ammo available? last I checked here in Colorado when you can find it the price is almost as much as 9mm FMJ and any .38 plinking ammo.

Picking a gun start with what fits your hand the best, narrow down the manufactures to only ones you trust, then what trigger system you want, I prefer short reset double actions like Glock's Safe Action or HK's LEM, what I open carry everyday is a traditional DA/SA USP45. Don't worry too much about size/weight just keep it reasonable, unless you want to pocket carry everyday. A good belt and holster can make even full size double stack 1911s disappear inside the waistband.

Another thing I need to put out there
For some reason a lot of inexperienced pistol shooters think 45 is going to recoil more than .40 S&W. That is not the case when comparing apples to apples. So they shy away from even trying the gentle old .45 after not liking the snap of the .40, it happens far too often.

minimotos is correct about buying a handgun out of state. you must have it shipped to a FFL and go through a background check in your home state. as far as buying used I will only buy from a trusted FFL that I have dealt with for years. like I said the ruger .357 I bought was pristine if it had 50 rounds put though it I would be surprised. I also have bought a used Browning shotgun from them, also in pristine condition. if you get a Utah CC it's good in 37 states and you don't have to be a resident of Utah. highdesertranger

LOopslala said:
I've been browsing the forums gun threads, and see a lot of discussion of pistols and handguns.  

I'm in the process of getting my license right now, but don't have much of a clue what gun I plan on getting (well, first hand gun).  

The more I look, the more attracted to the look of a revolver I am.  I don't find others as appealing to the eye, at least the ones I've seen.  Sadly, I'll have a budget of about $450 dollars to spend on the gun, so that will limit my choices a bit.

Thus brings the question:

What gun(s) are you favorite to carry, shoot the easiest for you?

I understand guns will fit everyone differently, and it's the person that is handling the gun, not the gun itself that makes it more precise, but whenever I go shooting there's always a couple that just seem easier than others.

Suggestions are very welcome!
Looks have nothing to do with weapon selection.  Revolvers are uncomplicated - no safeties to deal with. Point and pull the trigger.   Charter arms makes a .44 Special that new runs to your price range.  It can fire five times before reloading - more than you'd need in a normal defense situation.  Size is important to a concealed weapon - too large, uncomfortable and heavy, and you won't want to wear it. Don't wear it, yoive wasted your money.  There are also numerous .38 special firearms out there.  Magnum rounds aren't needed for self defense. Learn to use a speed loader effectively.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm not sure what state you are in.  If you are going to be a travelin' man, you need to know that the US is a hodgepodge of states that will accept your CCW as valid and states that won't, states that will issue you a non-resident CCW and states that won't, etc.  There are some states where all you can do is unload your gun and lock it up while you drive through that state as quickly as legally possible.

I've currently got permits for NY (my home state) and non-resident permits for NH, CT, and UT.  When I hit the road, I need to add TX, FL, NV, and ME yet.

The Bible for such information is:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Finally, I tell everybody who carries a gun for self defense that they really, Really, REALLY need to belong to:

http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Regards
John
Non-resident permits are becoming accepted less and less in other states.  Better double check them if you've had them for a while.

HarmonicaBruce said:
I'm kind of digging on the Smith & Wesson bodyguard, S&W 380

Now that I "live" in South Dakota, I need to figure out if I can even buy a gun outside of SD.

You can buy one, but it must be shipped to a SD gun dealer, who will deliver it to you.  They generally charge a fee for doing so.

That is good to know. My dad has a .22 revolver, but the wheel doesn't rotate properly when fired. Unfortunately, the it is not registered, so there's no hope to repairing it (that we know of). It was his dad, so has quite a bit of sentimental value to it.

I don't mind a gun with a lot of kick to it, as long as it does the job I'm needing it to do and fits my needs I don't mind it.

Me personally, if I don't like the way a gun looks, I'm not going to buy it regardless of anything else. If I'm going to spend $400+ on a gun, I'm going to like it all around.

Also, I live in Michigan, so the license is valid in most states, I'll just have to avoid carrying in the West Coast. I don't have any intentions of going East Coast in the foreseeable future.

Seraphim said:
You can buy one, but it must be shipped to a SD gun dealer, who will deliver it to you.  They generally charge a fee for doing so.

Buying a handgun out of state and having it shipped to your home state only makes sense if you are talking about a handgun that is out of production, or highly collectable, like a gun with fancy engraving, or similar.

Last time I did that, it was a Ruger RedHawk 44 Magnum that had been worked over by Hamilton Bowen, and had the paperwork to prove it.

I got it for half the price of buying a new RedHawk and shipping it to Bowen.

For a stock, still in production gun like the S&W Bruce mentioned, it would be cheaper to just buy one from a SD dealer.  The point is, either way, he has to go back to SD to pick it up in person.

Regards
John