Colorado Forrest and BLM Ranger Issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until this year I have had zero issues.
Not in the Van or RV.  The ranger that tried to sneak up on me was the last straw.
It was funny as he had no idea how to sneak, but still the last straw.

I have enjoyed talking with Rangers and talking about which trails I can ride and which are closed.
I have a residence in NV which hasn't even slowed them down.

I have wondered if my RV looks like one they have had trouble with. 
They still should not start off with me being guilty.  If it happens again I will try and video answers to questions like.

Is this an official policy?
Exactly why was I approached?  RV appearance? Campsite Appearance? Personal Appearance?
What can I do to not be accused of being guilty before a conversation even starts?
And if the attacks continue on camera, who do I contact to make an official legal complaint?

It's the 4th of July season. The rangers will have an unusually high "dickhead" quotient of visitors this time of year, and probably tend to overreact to everyone.

vanman2300 said:
In most instances I've had encounters with authorities it's been civil. I always say yes sir, no sir, etc and refer to them as officer. HOWEVER, as polite and cooperative as I  am, I've run across some real tools. I wonder if Larry ran across a tool and now black balled so others will hassle him. Snapping a photo of his ID is over the top and simply an intimidation tactic.
Some RVers have security cameras around their vehicles, which could provide somewhat non-obvious video record of unpleasant encounters. I have just been looking at this one, but from the looks of it would require me to have a router running inside the van for access via my tablet.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CW4BG4K

I could also use it to watch the grizzly bears in the night when in Montana.

Long time no see. It was year before last at the Havasu van build. I was in the silver van with the black and white dog. I ended up buying a Yamaha XT 225 to add to the collection but have only ridden it here in town. I have also been craving a TW 200, but people are not letting them go cheap. Seems like in most cases for $1,500 more you can buy a brand new one.

Anyway, my cell phone is tall enough so that when the camera is put into my shirt pocket the camera lens is above the pocket. It might not get a perfectly framed picture, but it will record anything said and the persons picture should be somewhere in the video. Somebody drives up the road, turn on the recorder and put it back in the pocket.

I redid the van and will be headed out soon to parts yet undetermined. I was thinking Idaho. I think maybe Colorado is less friendly these days because of legalized weed, and the huge influx they get from the South. All the winter dwellers in southern AZ end up there especially this year with a lot of forest land closed in Northern AZ because of fires.

DannyB1954 said:
Long time no see.

Time does fly.  Nice on the XT and yes the TW does hold and gain value..  ;-)  about to roll over 10,000 miles on mine.

..... Somebody drives up the road, turn on the recorder and put it back in the pocket.

:) guess I need a shirt with a pocket..

..... I was thinking Idaho. I think maybe Colorado is less friendly these days because of legalized weed, ......

Cool, and yes every application I've filled out, now includes the phrase "Federally illegal substances" so users, local or not, have a very hard time getting a job.

I have deleted several posts from this thread. KEEP YOUR POLOTICS TO YOURSELF. highdesertranger

Perhaps at that location actually discouraging better-equipped campers, trying to keep numbers down

AreWeLostYet said:
You were in an area where a camper shot at BLM rangers and was killed for it not too long ago. Look at it as a justification, justified or not.

We don't know if it was just before or just after the event.  That date makes a big difference.

ldmccain said:
Until this year I have had zero issues.

I had a similar experience in the San Juan National Forest, maybe 5 years ago.  As I recall I complained - if so I'll have documentation somewhere around here.  Emalene White, out of the Tres Rios office near Dolores on the Madden Peak Road at the top of the Mancos 'Hill'.  There are a few estates in that area.

DLTooley said:
We don't know if it was just before or just after the event.  That date makes a big difference.

I had to go back and look at GPS logs. 
I was wrong we left there the last week in April.
A month before the event.

The camper had a history. He was charged for murdering 2 people and wounding 5 others years ago. He actually did it but his lawyer got him off for extenuating circumstances. Basically, he was denied service at a bar and thrown out. He came back armed to the teeth including hand grenades and went on a rampage. An officer finally shot him stopping the rampage.

My guess is that guy really didn't need much of a reason to start shooting at anyone.

vanman2300 said:
The camper had a history.
My guess is that guy really didn't need much of a reason to start shooting at anyone.

Thanks for the info, I stand corrected. Several people have stated that rangers were less than welcoming or friendly so I wondered if this guy had previous bad experiences.

DannyB1954 said:
Thanks for the info, I stand corrected. Several people have stated that rangers were less than welcoming or friendly so I wondered if this guy had previous bad experiences.

That's the $64,000 question.  He most likely had bad experiences due his record and the aggressive enforcement set him off.  There are lots of big questions here.  We do need to recall that he was found innocent, but that the original incident also indicates a similar problematic discipline.

That's the risk of overly aggressive enforcement, that you get someone like that.  The problem is that overly aggressive enforcement can start a cycle that only escalates.  I know I have been accused of acting inappropriately when making a completely lawful, after the fact, complaint.  That's a really big problem.

I've deleted a series of off topic posts. Please stay on topic. You are welcome to start another post if you want to discuss a different topic.

Sadly these types of encounters are on the rise. There’s two categories of long term campers, Recreational and Non-Recreational.

One group is houseless, boondocking and picking up after themselves. The other is homeless, squatting and dumping their trash everywhere.

Sadly one group is making things difficult for the other.

We are the houseless, not homeless squatters. Mr officer please understand the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoupGarou said:
Sadly these types of encounters are on the rise. There’s two categories of long term campers, Recreational and Non-Recreational.

One group is houseless, boondocking and picking up after themselves. The other is homeless, squatting and dumping their trash everywhere.

Sadly one group is making things difficult for the other.

So you've decided that "boondockers" are all "recreational" campers. And that they all clean up after themselves. Also, that "boondockers" are all "houseless". That's not what I've found watching Bob's videos.

Idiots are making things worse. The are recreational and non-recreational (now there's a distinction I'd like to see delved into). Squatting is a legal definition. The mess seems to be left on public land - non-squatting according to the man. Private land is seldom available to squat on and one may literally take take their life in their hands squatting on private land. I believe it's legal in Texas for a landowner to shoot a trespasser on their land just for being there.

The assholes are making things difficult for the non-assholes. Unfortunately this is noting new and not likely to end anything soon. And the Ahoiles are evenly distributed among recreational and non-recreational, homeowning and houseless, "boondockers" and "squatters".

The mainstream distinction is:

A. you have a decent income, at least close to the median, and have an actual S&B home to return to.

B. you have no other home, can't afford to stay in paid campsites full-time, are "camping" long term out of necessity

Whether you clean up after yourself or not, is not the issue to those with power to make the rules.

Unless they decide that public lands are to be part of the solution for the housing policy crisis, the B group will be increasingly discouraged from using them as that.

John61CT said:
The mainstream distinction is:

A. you have a decent income, at least close to the median, and have an actual S&B home to return to.

B. you have no other home, can't afford to stay in paid campsites full-time, are "camping" long term out of necessity

Whether you clean up after yourself or not, is not the issue to those with power to make the rules.

Unless they decide that public lands are to be part of the solution for the housing policy crisis, the B group will be increasingly discouraged from using them as that.

Sounds like you've got the problem all tied up with a bow Mr. Mainstream. Being poor is illegal.