College?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So I haven't started van dwelling just yet because I'm still saving up at this point but in the mean time I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should go to college.
I'm 19 years old and I have a little less than a years worth of college done (mostly from duel credit classes in high school). It has always been a dream of mine to travel and when I found van dwelling I just new it was for me. However, I  just graduated high school about a year ago, I took some classes last Fall and then then I went abroad for a few months. Now I'm back in the states and I'm trying to decide if I should go to college while I'm saving up for my dream, or if working full time would benefit me more as a van dweller. I'd really appreciate any advise that some of you more experienced travelers can give me! Do you think college is necessary to be a van dweller or can you go without just as easily?

All it takes is a van, or car, or any thing that drives.  

I would suggest you get an education so you have an income or skill to depend on.

(Father of 3 daughters)

If you really want vandwelling to be your lifestyle , consider what you want to do that will support you out on the road and seek training that would get you that kind of work.
Is someone paying for college or do you have to find your own financing?
At 19 there is a very long roadtrip ahead of you.......................................>>>
Is this what you see yourself doing for the rest of your life or will it be temporary until you find another path?
What you decide now will control what you can do as you get older.

Hello Elizabeth,

Would it be possible to take online classes while you travel with your van? Are you discipline enough to do both? It's not easy to tell someone else if she should go to college or not.

I would strongly recommend that you read this blog http://www.interstellarorchard.com/ It's a young lady that is doing what you are looking to do yourself. She also wrote an e-book that would help you a lot should you decided to travel.

I wish you all the best no matter what you decide to do.

Nicole

First, about college or UNI, most of the jobs that are presenting themselves now will be for those with 2 year VoEd technical degrees. Many of those today with Masters Degrees are going back to community tech schools or even to "Certification Schools" (which take even less time) to get trained so they are be employable. Getting an education is like buying tools for a tool box. You need to have tools for the jobs available and learn how to use them to be employable. Many Colleges and Universities are still selling course work for fields that are in their twilight phase.

If you were wanting to live in a Van and go to school, it may make sense to go to school in a warmer climate and where you are safe from severe weather events. You will need to have family members who have tools and know how to help you convert the Van so it is livable for you. Perhaps a used Aluminum Bread Truck could provide you with an affordable platform that you could have a small studio apartment living space within. With a tow hitch and a small economy car to tow behind it, you could have a Car to commute with and the Van in place where there are domestic conveniences. There are Trailer Parks that are more up scale where you're not among a bunch of crazies who think when the Sun goes down it's "Alcohol & Firearms Night" at the ol' Tin Ghetto.

Presently there is more and more interest in "Tiny Home's" and this Van serve you a little better with a bit more room. You may have to learn how to tow a car behind the Van but that isn't that difficult to learn at your age.

Of all the things discussed here I would warn you most about advanced education. Choose Wisely ! Avoid if you can at all cost Student Loans. They are as much a racket as Sub Prime Mortgages. I know from experience.

The world we live in is very different than than the world your parents grew up in. We are now in an era of low-wage jobs and most college graduates end up in those low paying jobs!!! 

Much worse, that college education comes with an enormous debt that the low-wage job you end up with can never pay back. 

I say jump right into vandwelling unless you have s specific job you want to train for. 

Getting a degree for the sake of having a degree is almost certainly a mistake in 2015. Either go to a school that will give you a specific markateble skill that you KNOW you can gt a job in, or forget college.

Here is a chart comparing the educational attainment of Low-Wage workers in 1979 and 2013.  44% of low-wage orkers have some college in 2013
low-wage-and-college-grads.jpg

Here's a chart that shows the cost of college which is sky-rocketing, and the average wages of college graduates which are dropping like a rock:
real-tuition-and-earnings.jpg

In 2015, college just isn't worth it.
Bob

akrvbob said:
In 2015, college just isn't worth it.
Bob

Keep telling people that, and pretty soon, if they all listen to you, there will be no more doctors.  Or engineers.  Or lawyers.  OK, that last doesn't sound so bad.

Seriously, I was just talking to my niece, who recently graduated with a degree in deaf studies.  She can't find work.  I asked her about becoming one of those sign language translators.  She says she isn't qualified.  You need to be certified, and she didn't take the right courses in college to get her certification.

I love Brittany.  But she spent four years in college, went tens of thousands of dollars into debt, and she can't get a job in the field she MAJORED in?!  Sigh.

It used to be, if you didn't know what you wanted to do when you graduated high school, you would go to college, and after the first few semesters, you would decide what you wanted to do and declare a major in that.

Nowadays, I get the impression that kids go to college and STILL don't know what they want to do when they get out.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Keep telling people that, and pretty soon, if they all listen to you, there will be no more doctors.  Or engineers.  Or lawyers.  OK, that last doesn't sound so bad.

Seriously, I was just talking to my niece, who recently graduated with a degree in deaf studies.  She can't find work.  I asked her about becoming one of those sign language translators.  She says she isn't qualified.  You need to be certified, and she didn't take the right courses in college to get her certification.

I love Brittany.  But she spent four years in college, went tens of thousands of dollars into debt, and she can't get a job in the field she MAJORED in?!  Sigh.

It used to be, if you didn't know what you wanted to do when you graduated high school, you would go to college, and after the first few semesters, you would decide what you wanted to do and declare a major in that.

Nowadays, I get the impression that kids go to college and STILL don't know what they want to do when they get out.

Regards
John
That is because of society today does not allow the educators to push the students.  At least not as far as what they really need to get a real job.  If she needs more skills, tell her to go for her Masters.  She is in a field that is in great demand.  College used to focus on needed skills, now they just focus on getting student loan money.  :mad:  Reality is a bucket of cold water for bathing, and warm water for drinking.

Any job in the skilled trades.  Carpenters, electricians, AC repair, Truck Driving, mechanics,  Nursing, Administration (secretary and managers) salesmen,  teachers The top category that people are needed?  Chefs, bakers and butchers.  

We need trade schools back with a vengeance.  

These kids were exceptional, which is why we became friends.

While I LOVE education, because it's so good for your brain, I recently arrived at the same conclusion as many others here. I was going deeper and deeper into debt through student loans trying to obtain a degree and decided to stop, and live my life instead. Of course I'm quite a bit older than you, so the pay off at the end of the degree was going to be far fewer years to earn and pay back my loans, than someone your age. If you know that you want to become a nurse (traveling nurses make a ton of money, if that interests you), or a doctor, or something along those lines, definitely invest in the degree. But my super-genius son, who is now nearly finished with his master's degree, and my brilliant brother-in-law who also has his master's degree, have never found work in their fields of major (Biological Science and Political Science) and they had 4.0 GPAs.

We need trades schools back with a vengeance. I so agree.

I live in an area I call the UNI district as it has one large University and several others around the area, not to mention Community Tech Schools, Business Schools, and branch campuses of larger Statee Universities, and three or four VoEd's, The VoEd's are the smallest number and they are full with waiting list.

But something I want to mention here is a Reference Book you can find at a Public Library or it's now online,

The Occupational Outlook Handbook 2015.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/

Occupation listings A - Z

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/a-z-index.htm

100 Best jobs for 2015

http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/rankings/the-100-best-jobs?page=2

You'll notice that on that list a lot of the top jobs are for assistants for Professionals such as Doctors, Dentist,
etc. That's because those fields are "mature" and also they bring in Medical Professionals from other countries
issuing them green cards and requiring them to serve in some less developed parts of the USA for 2 years before they can move to the top markets.

The large UNI where I live has a Medical School full of such Doctors. Today they are begging for Nurse Practitioners who in many cases serve the same functions as Doctors.

But the trades, such as Machinist are going begging now and many retired Machinist are going to the VoEd's
Machine Shop where they don't have much enrollment and paying for the courses to have access to the state of the art equipment for their own projects. (or jobs that they take farmed out to them to make their annual allowance Social Security permits them to make) The Instructor is often someone they know and have worked with in the past who just sits in his office or goofs off with them. But at least it keeps the census up enough to keep the Machinist curriculum in place so it won't be closed and the shop emptied of it's equipment.

I see my own field "web development' has slipped down to #11 position now. A few years ago it was much
higher. But Information Security Analyst is rising nicely as the Web has been developed.

One of the things I've learned over the years is that one can get an education a trade and become good at them and then if they can get into sales and become good at that they can really make it to the top. At a near by Mall there are these full time RV living Sales people who call on the Mall stores and the vehicles they use aren't the typical class A motor home. They have their RV's built on large diesel truck frames and often tow large trailers full of samples. Their RV's are "opulent" inside as they entertain buyers in them while discussing business.

Which takes us back to the merits of learning to live out of a Van early in life. That is a skill in itself too. So with the education, skills, and sales training and willingness to be a Nomad.....one can "Succeed".

rv-toterhome-and-toy-hauler-trailer.jpg

Robert Deniro recently gave a short commencement speech that's both funny, and to the point . . .

[video=youtube]

Have you considered one of the trades? An apprenticeship program in a union construction trade will provide you with good pay and a job that allows freedom to travel. Pay is low to begin with but schooling is free. An apprenticeship usually lasts 4 or 5 years and then you're free to apply for a job at the union hall in any city in the country (not all cities have unionized work forces though) and work whenever you chose. An example of what is available - http://www.sfbuildingtradescouncil.org/apprentice-programs

The other obvious alternative is to enlist in one of the military services, with guaranteed job training in the field you want.

But all of these options assume you KNOW what you want to do with your life, and from your original question, I'm guessing you haven't figured that out yet.

There's nothing wrong with taking some time off and doing some traveling while you try to sort it out.  Try a few different jobs and see how you like them.

But I want to caution you that it's very easy keep putting it off and drifting from one low paying dead end job to another.  I did it until I was 40.  I finally got my head out of my butt and found a job with good pay, good benefits, and a solid retirement.

So make a firm commitment to yourself that you're going to make a decision before you turn, say, 25.

Regards
John

My very firm belief is that most of what society tells us is a lie, and the path to happiness lies in rejecting it all and living wild and free.

That's my recommendation to you.
bob

Whatever you decide, make sure your skill is very useful and marketable. Where a little education would be invaluable would be if you already have some skill/trade and you take an addisitonal course and are different from everyone else because you also do another area/skill. It's all about marketing yourself well. Think out of the box. Many skills can be learned working where you would like to end up and learning directly from those more experienced then you.
Vandwelling has helped me in the above by:
1. Giving me more money to spend on skills I needed for a job without wasting it on housing.
2. Making my expense budget cheaper so I had more time to get the more marketable skill that everyone else in my profession does not have.

biggest mistake i ever made was not finishing college.
you're young and who knows what the job market will be like 10 years from now?
if you are paying your own way, get an Associate Degree (2-yr) from a Community college while working part time.
then go to an in-state University for 2 more years for your Bachelor's.
Do NOT go into DEBT! Even if it takes longer to finish.....in 6 years you're still only 25 and will be much better equipped to make life's decisions.

during these school years, along with your required courses take elective classes that help with life's challenges.....auto maintenance, basic electric theory, business/accounting, etc. ....things that can be of use while 'on the road'....the school of hard knocks is much easier with a good base education.

IF money is not an issue, go to college anyway, get a degree and enjoy some of the best times you can imagine!

If you don't have to work for a living, hit the road in your mid twenties and pass along your wisdoms to those you meet along the way.
Always Pay It Forward! :cool:

College isn't for everybody, but it does take some commitment to follow through and finish on your part. The hardest thing is starting. Then it's a matter of crossing off the courses from the list on the refrigerator door. Your investing a lot of time and money in the effort, so don't get  just any degree for the paper. Try a displine that will challenge your mind. If your good at math an engineering field could be fun. Once the classes start, you'll meet plenty of like minded individuals. Notes and teacher recommendations will be shared and exams will be less stressful.

Be it college, a trade school or the military, the best investment you'll ever make is in yourself.

Good Luck!
Loup

I spent the first half? of my adult life doing my dream job (concert sound engineer) and am now spending the 2nd half workamping part time and traveling the rest of the time.

I studied my a$$ off for the first job , but no college , ( I did take 3 years of electronics) but more like buying every book I could find that would possibly apply and studying in the motel rooms by day with hands on every night before and during the shows.

Now I get to stop everywhere that I had to drive by because of a thing called an itinerary.

Campgrounds , theme parks , National and State Parks , Corps of Engineers , Amazon , SugarBeet harvest , pumpkin and tree lots , selling on Ebay , Book/Blog writing , photography , tour guide ,,,,,,wow , so many things you can do.

You don't need lots of income to be happy.

I suggest that you do your first two years at an instate community college (cheaper tuition). Once you have gotten your basics out of the way, you can decide what you want to major in and if you still want to go the "traditional" college route or do something else. You will need to make sure all your credits will transfer to any school you are interested.

I was once told by FL Institute of Technology that of the 1st year enrollees only half came back for the 2nd year. Of the 2nd years, only half of them came back. This left them with lots of openings for the 3rd & 4th year students. These are the ones they were really teaching because they proved they were really interested. I was told to complete my basics at the local community college and they would be able to easily enroll me into the 3rd year classes.

My life took me in a different direction before I got to that point. But I never forgot the advise and the time FIT took with me in discussing what I wanted to do (and I wasn't even a student, I just stopped in for some info since they were only 15 miles from my home town).

Don't go to college unless you have a reason to go to college.

You already have some college. Seems you have proven you have academic skills. Look at the top ten jobs you want to do. Then ask which one will pay you good money, with an average skill set for a graduate in that field. -- it's not biology. It's not political science. -- it's STEM usually. Do you have an interest in a STEM career (science technology engineering medicine) ? If not look at service industries hurting for people of any talent, over the long term. Then develop that talent. It will take at least ten years to develop a marketable career talent in most careers. Look at well reviewed and respected PEER CERTIFICATION or look at PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIAL LICENSE in whatever career path you choose. Then see what it takes to become that talented. Will the career be around in ten years?