Collapsible or Folding Bucket?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of your have good or bad experience with a collapsible or folding bucket?  Recommendations appreciated!

the old military surplus ones were great, but I haven't seen those in years. highdesertranger

I just noticed that walmart are carrying those now in the camping department, half the price I paid on line.

There was an episode on mash where everyone was going buggy over a fold up bathtub on a hot day. I don't think we all need to look for one of those, but I tell ya, I may just have to think about a blow up kiddy pool if we head in to the desert this summer. (hubby wants to not so much me).

vanbrat said:
...I may just have to think about a blow up kiddy pool if we head in to the desert this summer. (hubby wants to not so much me).
Are you looking for a hot bath, or a cool dip?

vanbrat said:
There was an episode on mash where everyone was going buggy over a fold up bathtub on a hot day. I don't think we all need to look for one of those, but I tell ya, I may just have to think about a blow up kiddy pool if we head in to the desert this summer. (hubby wants to not so much me).

A wet t-shirt works pretty well on a hot day... and it's a lot more portable!

VanFan said:
Are you looking for a hot bath, or a cool dip?
Cool dip, one with soap so we both smell better, but will need to bring a tent... I'm not into public baths...And nobody wants to see an old lady in a wet t-shirt.

if you are going to use soap what are you going to do with the waste water?

highdesertranger

I will/would find a bio degradable something..... I used dish soap in the kiddy pools for the daycare kids and dumped it in my flower gardens that's 3-4 pools 3-4 times a week. Plants did fine. Animals did fine. Not what I would want to do at a park... Mostly I expect we will just do a sponge bath thing cause I don't really want to haul that much water. If I did it would be once a week or less. But nice to have it to cool down in, and would work to wash my hair maybe. The family next to us had a tub thing for their babies at the last place we where at since the showers were closed. They dumped it in the sink drain.

everything is biodegradable, even nuclear waste. I hate that word, it makes it seem like it's ok to just dump it.

in many places dumping of black and grey water is illegal it doesn't matter what's in it. these places are only going to become more common as more people dump more stuff. something to think about.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
in many places dumping of black and grey water is illegal it doesn't matter what's in it.  these places are only going to become more common as more people dump more stuff.  something to think about.
I realize that you’re saying the responsible thing, but increasingly Cali communities are allowing grey water to be stored in barrels and used for yard irrigation. Dump your grey water someplace where it won’t contaminate surface waters (springs, creeks, lakes, etc.) and you are probably fine. The same microbes that break down sewage in treatment plants will eat the crud in your wastewater, too. (Please do NOT dump black water! If you must, get a compost toilet and be very responsible in how you manage that.)
Oh- I got one of those collapsible dish pans from REI and I like it. It takes up much less room than a regular plastic dishpan.

Nutball said:
...but increasingly Cali communities are allowing grey water to be stored in barrels and used for yard irrigation.
Oh- I got one of those collapsible dish pans from REI and I like it. It takes up much less room than a regular plastic dishpan.
Grey water is the bane of my traveling existence, as I am very strict with myself (tough job!) about disposal.  I will say that urban/suburban landscape ecosystems are already "altered," and most likely very out of balance.  There is probably little additional harm in using grey water in landscapes.  It may iin fact be the most responsible use of resources.  More pristine environments--particularly in desert regions--will, IMO suffer to a greater extent.  I used to have no issues with straining food particles and scattering grey water away from water sources.  Now I do.

As I said, I would be careful about what soap I used, but here at home we just put it on the ground (mostly around the apple trees and flower gardens). We have 2+ acres and the 'gray' water only had dish soap, well maybe toddler pee, not that that was encouraged. The campground stuff would be disposed of properly. If I couldn't do that I wouldn't use it. We mostly used handi wipes and sponge bath stuff when no shower is available. Maybe we can do the wash/wipes first then the water would not be so much gray and be clean enough.???? Have to just watch and see.

I think I will look for some of the collapsing tubs for my fruit collecting stuff or I won't have enough places to put it. One of the reasons we didn't get enough/more strawberries is we didn't have enough tubs to put them. Lesson learned.

Never dump BLACK Water. That is just gross.
But have gone behind bushes..... have had to tell kidos when it is OK to go in the woods and when it is not OK to go on the trail.. Had one who told me it was natural stuff so he could go anywhere he wanted. Had to tell his folks NOT at my house. Licensing would have had a fit and shut me down if that was allowed.

jacqueg said:
A wet t-shirt works pretty well on a hot day... and it's a lot more portable!

And you can always ask for tips!